Organ transplants and spicy meatballs

Not sure if this should go in GQ or GD, but let’s start it here.

I was just engaged in an argument with some coworkers during lunch. They were pretty insistant that if you receive an organ donation from someone who likes, say, spicy food, then you will soon learn to like spicy food.

Their arguments were largely anecdotal. The most rational person in the room swore that after her father got a near-complete blood transfusion, he was a different person. With completely different tastes in diet.

My argument is that likes and dislikes are not genetic, and further, the donated DNA you get is not going to overpower your current DNA. Any coincidences that arise are purely confirmational bias and wishful thinking.

Who is right?

This:

and this:

are separate issues.

It is not uncommon for people to have modified memories or personalities after major medical procedures. I assume it’s because brain function is disrupted by the drugs or anesthesia.

I cannot understand such changes being connected to the memories or personality of donors. My heart doesn’t like spicy food–my brain does.

And what if we implant the pancreas of a killer? What then? Bwaa-ha-ha-ha!

You are. Also discussed here, briefly.

But don’t expect to be able to convince your cow-orkers of this. It sounds like you already have used the correct arguments to no avail.