Origin of "nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

For me it would be, “It’s finger lickin’ good!” from Near Dark.

Man, *Near Dark * is such a great little movie (and had like half the cast of Aliens in it) I wonder if it’s on DVD…

Why, yes, yes it is.

I was admiring that. I seem to have struck a vein.

Maybe this’ll kill it; I’m usually pretty good at that too.

Screw that.
Aliens works near-perfectly because there are no tacked-on elements. The dialogue is memorable and realistic, and the young kid who in every other action movie would serve to make the situation worse actually helps it. When she falls down the air vent, it’s not through her own stupidity, curious wanderings or just plain childishness. Gorman’s grenade catches them all by surprise. The rest of the time, she’s very helpful (the extended version reveals that Newt is particularly skilled at running the ventilation system, a common pastime for the colony’s children, and her small size is a major advantage - this also explains her survival before the marines show up).

To address the OP from a slightly different angle:

I’ve only used the phrase once on the boards, in a thread titled “Any advice on killing wasps?”
By the way, I love this throwaway bit from the movie:

Frost: Hey, I sure wouldn’t mind getting me some more of that Arcturian poontang! Remember that time?

Spunkmeyer: Yeah Frost, except the one you had was MALE.

Frost: It doesn’t matter when it’s Arcturian, baby!

I can’t resist:

Hudson: They’re coming outta the walls. They’re coming outta the goddamn walls, we’re fucked!
Hudson: [Points muzzle of pulse-rifle to Burke’s face] I say we grease this rat-fuck, son of a bitch right now.

It gets better…in the Colonial Marines Technical Manual, the USCM quite freely discusses their tactical nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons doctrines…but also mentions that they don’t use androids with “unrestricted combat capabilities,” because it violates the Geneva Convention!

Perhaps it’s a nod to a point in the movie where, when Bishop is getting ready to enter the pipeline to make a run for the transmitter, Vasquez hands him a pistol…which he examines for a second, then hands over to Ripley. Either he figured it wouldn’t do him any good, or he was programmed not to use weapons. (In which case Vasquez either didn’t know, forgot about it, or underestimated how strict the programming was.)

Nope, that was 57.

“Missed it by that much…”

<mod>

Moved to Cafe Society

</mod>

And before someone ties up the Board’s search function to prove me wrong, I’ll admit I pulled that number out of my ass…

I figure the former, since he doesn’t hesitate to take the weapon, but he does give it a smiling condescending examination of its small size before handing it off to Ripley.

The former, definitely: remember, he’s pretty handy with a knife when, egged on by the other Marines, he plays with Hudson: “Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh!”

And, since this seems to be a Bill Paxton thread, one of his best moments has to be with the punks in the original Terminator

Nice night for a walk.

Wash day. Nothing clean.

Which is one of the things that makes Aliens so great: there is an actual reason why the characters don’t do the obvious thing that would neatly resolve all their problems.

Looks like love at first sight.

Hudson: Man, this floor’s freezing.
Apone: What do you want me to do, fetch your slippers for you?
Hudson: Gee, would you sir? I’d like that.

And to continue the hijack, since the thread got moved, the amazing thing about that scene is that it was anticipated in a short-short sf story called “Swordsmen of Varnis.” In it, a John Carter like hero is fleeing with a Princess. It is a Barsoom-like planet. They flee into a cave, pursued by soldiers. he pulls out his sword and slays the attackers as they try to get at them until

one guard says, basically, this is ridiculous, pulls out his blaster, and blows the guy and the princess to smithereens.

The end. An amazing case of independent development of the same idea.

Obviously, the Conventions have undergone some revisions. Or maybe the implication is that an unrestricted android is actually more dangerous than the other weapons? After all, the android could certainly use all those weapons if the combat restrictions were removed.

While Ripley, Hicks, and Hudson got all my favorite lines, Bishop had my favorite delivery of a line. It’s the scene where they’re discussing the colony transmitter. Hudson is panicky and shrill (as usual) and Ripley’s got an odd mix of determination, exasperation, and hysteria going on:

RIPLEY: Well then somebody’s just going to have to go out there. Take a portable terminal and go out there and plug in manually.

HUDSON: Oh, right! Right! With those things running around. No way.

BISHOP (quietly, almost diffidently): I’ll go.

It’s the dialogue equivalent of a car slamming into a wall at the end of a chase scene.

Heck, Raiders wasn’t even the first movie to use the device.

As someone who’s military carreer took a hard left because of untimely events (GW 1), my favorite line from Hudson was:

“Those things will give you lip cancer, Sarge.”

“Vazquez, you ever been mistaken for a man?”
“No, have you?”