Origin of Row Row Row Your Boat

I have never heard where this song originates from, but I ran across a passage in my western literature class that may be the origin. I do not have the exact passage with me, but it was from Shakespeare’s “The Tempest”. Who knows where it comes from and how?

It originates from the final scene of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

:o Interlude Meditation Archive :o

Are you by any chance thinking of the song from Act 5, Scene 1?

If so, then the answer is almost certainly no, as the mere repetition of the word ‘merrily’ is hardly evidence of a link.

Of course, the song, ‘Full fathom five thy father lies’ does come from The Tempest.

Whoa… that’s deep.

And to think I saw some people claiming we where actually in “The Matrix” and that the “life is but a dream” line was the ‘proof’. :rolleyes:

Meeko, but the song cannot be explained, it can only be experienced.

Here’s your answer. It’s not as old as I thought it was. The earliest known version of the words is found in sheet music titled The Old Log Hut, or Row, Row Your Boat, published by Firth, Pond and Co. of New York in 1852. The lyrics were uncredited; the melody by R. Sinclair was different than the one we know today, which was added in 1881.

I’m reminded of the poem Lewis Carroll wrote to close Through the Looking-Glass (1871):

The poem is an acrostic, the first letter of each line spelling the name of the girl who inspired the Alice character.