Original Irish version of a French song?

I was on youtube listening to French singer Michel Sardou’s ong “Les lacs du Connemara” (Lakes of Connemara), and noticed the following in the comments :

I would be interested in knowing what the original Irish song was, if somebody knows it.

Here’s a link to the French song
Thanks in advance.

Haha clairobscur, I was on youtube listening to that song yesterday (and I had also read that comment). Your example of boldly coming forward and admitting you listen to Michel Sardou has in turn given me the courage to join and do my coming out, as well. Now,'s the best time to say Afrique adieu is one of my favorite songs.

BUT I have always heard that it is purely a French song, with a mish mash of Irish tropes thrown in to make it sound Irish.

I think the comment only meant “French tribute to Irish, Epic song !”. Not everyone is as rigorous in their punctuation as you might be.

Ahem…my interest is…errr…purely academic. I’m writing a thesis about…err…about Irish geology, that’s the deal ! :o

According to Mudcats, the tune is “Sound the Pibroch Loud and Highaka 'Rise and Follow Charlie !" popular amongst several Irish bands of the period, but referencing The Corries in particular.
This being a Victorian jacobite song — which they say was used by the unspeakable Charlie Haughey during an election campaign.

A loose translation of M. Sardou’s lyrics, which in English seem…muddled, is here. Never having heard of M. Sardou, I’ll presume he is a very distant relative of the dramatist.

Any jacobite is going to have very mixed feelings about every damn thing mentioned here: in particular the Corries being a kind of soft band to sing a rousing invocation.
[ I’ve also discovered that my school assembly memories of “Rise Up, Rise Up for Jesus, Ye Soldiers of the Cross !” is really: “Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus”.
Memory is the last betrayer.