Original Star Trek-The Alternate Cast

So? This is Star Trek. All we have to do is reverse the polarity on the phase array dish, converting it into a time machine, If that doesn’t work, we’ll induce a subspace bubble with our phasers, causing a wormhole and achieving the same thing…

I see where you’re coming from with the intelligence and precision but McGoohan seems a very HUMAN actor to me. Doesn’t have that ALIEN quality for a decent Spock.

Meanwhile what if they did a contemporary Big Screen Big Star Reboot of Star Trek and decided to use the main cast of The Magnificent Seven?

McQueen would be the Kirk that Shatner wishes he was.

I’m sticking with Vaughn as McCoy.

Brynner has that ‘alien’ quality (think Westworld) so he’s my Spock.

Wallach will obviously play the Klingon or Romulan bad guy.

Bronson, in his younger, softer days before he went full Stoneface could do Scottie. Stoneface Bronson could be Spock I guess.

Buchholz is obviously Chekov.

Coburn is left over and while he could do either a McCoy or even a Scottie, (probably a Kirk too) I’ve already put others in those roles so he becomes Khan or another Starship captain. Whatever the plot requires him to be.

TCMF-2L

Does it have to be a drama?:slight_smile:

Kirk: Dick York
Spock: Elizabeth Montgomery (going back to Roddenberry’s idea of a female first officer)
McCoy: Buddy Ebsen
Scotty: Alan Hale
Chekov: Still Davy Jones, except now funnier
Sulu: Pat Morita
Uhura: Eartha Kitt
Rand: Donna Douglas

The only rule is “contemporary”.

Fair enough!

\

Those would have been excellent, too.

And again, the Emmys would have been a clean sweep for ST every single year!

\

I seriously contemplated putting Sellers down for multiple roles, but decided against it for the sake of squeezing in more cast member from the 1965 and 1959 films mentioned. You squared the circle by bringing in the idea of guest roles.

Sellers would have loved the ‘multiple roles per season’ idea; he probably would have required that it appear in his contract.

Sally Field as Rand? Or would she have been too young?

The younger, the better.

Been there, done that:

Kirk: Leslie Nielsen
First Officer The Robot: Robbie
McCoy: Warren Stevens
Scotty: Richard Anderson
Chekov: Earl Holliman
Rand: Anne Francis
Admiral Fitzpatrick : Walter Pidgeon

Although Forbidden Planet was ten years before, the ages still work OK.

This now has me thinking of making sure every role except Captain Kirk is filled by someone with a super-distinctive way of talking; I can’t beat Eartha Kitt for Uhura, but imagine her bouncing lines off Mako as Sulu on the bridge — next to, say, Alan Arkin doing the weirdly-paced Russian accent that got him an Oscar nomination — and, for the Platonic ideal of a country doctor, Jimmy Stewart? Plus maybe James Mason down in engineering as Scotty, with, uh, Laurence Harvey as Spock?

Like, it’s one thing for a movie star to have leading-man charm in his own right; but set against that award-caliber medley of vocal oddballs, just imagine how much smoother their leader Paul Newman would sound…

Uhura is Bugs in drag.

I’m imagining bugs in a skirt, checkered blouse and pin up hair in front of a giant switchboard: <fake nasal New York accent> Hello this is starship enterprise please hold.

This is the Enterprise. Please hold, Doc.

Admiral Morrow! What’s up, Doc?

You may have something there. Gotta be the uniform short skirt, though. We are talking Uhura, after all.

Bugs is chewing a carrot, working the communications panel, and continually tugging his skirt down. YES!

Let’s free up Bugs for a bigger part by having Lily Tomlin as Uhura.

Did you ever find Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and play a girl bunny?

I plead the fifth.
:flushed:

I want to see this version of Star Trek so badly I can feel it in my bones.

The way computer animation is progressing, it might be possible in the near future.

Hello. Enterprise here - Klingons clobbered, Romulans restrained, Tholians thwarted, invaders inveigled, superbeings subverted and doomsday devices doomed!

Christopher Lloyd: "Where’s the kablooie? There was supposed to be a big kablooie!

“Star Trek” was originally sold to the network as a science fiction “Wagon Train” (although Gene Roddenberry was already planning to use it as a platform for more meaningful messages about society). So think of all of the western stars that might have been.

Then - there’s the actors from classic medical shows:
Robert Young (Marcus Welby M.D.) for the doctor.
Jack Klugman (Quincy M.E.) for the doctor.
“I’m not a doctor, but I play one on TV”…

Jack Lemmon as his “Save the Tiger” character for the Captain.