Orthodox prohibition against cremation?

The question presupposes craziness. Which is not in evidence.

The rabbi & the brother. OK, if u don’t like ‘crazy’, how about ‘overbearing’ or ‘pompous’? Whatever the word, being obnoxious enough to impose ur own beliefs on some1 else?

I seriously doubt LavenderBlue’s telling of the story, if only because of the “on the grounds that she will go to hell if she does [get cremated]” statement she assigns to the rabbi. No orthodox rabbi would ever say something like that.

But in any case, the orthodox rabbi and the brother are just telling the husband of the deceased woman what the Jewish law is in this case, since he (not being Jewish himself) probably has no idea. The husband is free to decide whatever he wants, he doesn’t have to follow their advice.

So it’s obvious how u think. What the rabbi & Orhto brother are dictating are NOT Jewish law - it’s Ortho law. A galaxy of difference between the 2. Not enough space left on the entire internet to debate *that *topic, but suffice it to say Orthodoxy routinely takes the most extreme rabid position, ostensibly to ‘guard the culture & protect from outside influences’. Thanx for demonstrating why the rabbi, brother, and u r all wrong. Millions of people including Jews get cremated daily, as per their wish. No one has the right to our bodies except ourselves. The family would do the right thing by listening to the dead mother - it was her wish what to do with her body.

As the Orthodox rabbi told his Reform friend: “It’s ok. You worship God in your way, and I will do it in his.”

if only that were how Orthos acted - witness the Ortho rabbi in LavenderBlue’s story. Let’s hope LavenderBlue is strong enough to stand up to his brother & the crazy rabbi.

All I have to say to that is, PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPHTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

I don’t think I agree with that. I don’t think Jewish law agrees with it either. Consider that under Jewish law one cannot-

Get a tattoo

round the corners of their head

round the corners of their beard

or keep their foreskin.

Again, ur confusing Jewish law with the *Orthodox spin on *Jewish law.
The tattoo thing is now a relic - Jews with tattoos are buried in Jewish cemetaries without a 2nd thought.
The haircut thing is just dumbass - many have routinely cut their hair how they want for many years. Many Ortho men are also clean-shaven, so even they reject the idiocy of the ‘corners of their beard’ thing, whatever that is.
The foreskin thing, if not done at 8 days, is something again that is left up to choice. There is evidence to suggest a health benefit for circumcision; okay then, what about the women?
To sum, there is no ‘Jewish law’ that forbids doing what u want to ur body, including cremation. The rabbi & LavendarBlue’s brother are engaging in emotional blackmail, taking advantage of a grieving family. The good news is, that blackmail is ineffective against strong will. Were we all to ignore it, it would go away.

if only that were how Orthos acted - witness the Ortho rabbi in LavenderBlue’s story. Let’s hope LavenderBlue is strong enough to stand up to his brother & the crazy rabbi.

Why is it a relic? Simply because you say so?

Many Jews also eat bacon double cheeseburgers. That does not mean it isn’t against Jewish law.

Ya got a cite for there being many clean-shaven Orthodox men?

Where in the Torah does it say ‘This shall be the sacred mark of the Covenant twixt you and your G-d. But only if ya feel like it?’

Sure there is. Despite your rather weak arguments to the contrary.

This, I agree with. I despise their actions. But, halachically, they are correct.

halacha <> Jewish law. Gnite & Shavua Tov.

LavenderBlue’s brother IS grieving family. He just happens to be a part of the grieving family with different religious beliefs than the member who posted here.