Other Christmas Drinks. . .

So, I’m looking for something seasonal & alcoholic.

But, not egg nog. Most years we make it, but not this year, and this is for a small party. And, not mulled cider. . .which I’m not a big fan of.

A few weeks ago, I had a hot cocoa with tequila and chilis (chili powder?) but I can’t seem to find a recipe for it. Anyone?

How about anything else?

Don’t people usually enjoy Bailey’s around the holidays? What are some classic cocktails made with Bailey’s?

Thanks.

Punch is always nice, and very traditional. Try to find a recipe that is a little different.

Mulled wine is very good.

Hot toddies and hot buttered rum are good choices as well.

How about sangria? Looks nice in the punch bowl; very festive with all that fruit floating in it.

Scotch.

Or, if you are having children over, bourbon.

I like a creation I call “Mint on Your Pillow”

Half n half, cream or milk
Creme de Cacao
Creme de Menthe

In a wine or martini glass pour in a shot or two of the cacao, and about a quarter as much of the creme de menthe. Fill glass with dairy and stir. Pepperminty chocolatey goodness!

C’mon. It’s the holidays. Break out of the mold a little.

Cognac.

Macallans with three cubes in a glass with hollies on it, that’s the best I can do.

Hot chocolate with Peppermint Schnapps goes down pretty easy in the cold weather.

I’m not sure what mulled cider consists of, but if you don’t like cider you probably won’t like this Wassail…I’ll post it anyway as I don’t consider it Christmas without it:
1 gallon apple cider
1 lemon, sliced
1 orange, sliced
8 cinnamon sticks
1 Tsp whole cloves
1 Tsp allspice
1 gallon white wine
2 cups rum (I like to use spiced)

Simmer non alcoholic ingredients for 1-2 hours, add alcoholic ingredients and heat through.

BOOZY. And so, so good.

brandy alexanders!
good for once a year.
more than that and you’d go into sugar shock. :stuck_out_tongue:

recipe 1
ingredients:

1 1/2 oz brandy
1 oz dark crème de acao
1 oz half-and-half or heavy cream
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg

mixing instructions:

in a shaker half-filled with ice cubes, combine brandy, crème de cacao, and half-and-half. shake well. strain into a cocktail glass and garnish with nutmeg.
Alternate recipe
Ingredients:

2 jiggers dark crème de cacao
1 jigger brandy
1 pt. vanilla ice cream
1 c. crushed ice
mixing instructions:

put all ingredients in blender. cover and frappé until sherbet consistency. serve in small brandy snifters with nutmeg sprinkled on top. yield: 6 (3 oz.) drinks.

i’m not a nutmeg fan so i greatly decrease the 'meg and seriously up the ice cream.

plus, a tip from a long-ago bartender now has me adding milk chocolate shavings to the final product before serving. tasty!

Cubes?
Well, maybe for the holidays…

Good ol’ German Glühwein, hot, spiced, spiked wine. Basically cheapo red with a hard spirit (vodka or brandy are popular), clove, cinnamon and sugar.

My ex-to-be started a tradition a few years ago of serving mimosas on Christmas morning. I’m gonna miss that.

I’ve always wanted to make Feuerzangenbowle.

Alas, come Thursday I’ll be sipping holiday margaritas.

This doesn’t really qualify as a Christmas drink, but I’m watching “I’m Alan Partridge”, and feel compelled to mention the Ladyboy:

A pint of lager with a Bailey’s chaser followed by a slurp of gin and tonic. Yum!

This is required at my house for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
This stuff is delicious!

Angel Tits

1/2 Gallon (good quality) Vanilla Ice Cream - softened
1 two liter bottle Sprite
1 quart Sloe Gin
1 pint Cherry Vodka (optional, but I use it, too)

Just a little warning ~ Don’t let any kids get hold of this, or you’ll have to guard it with your life, to keep them out of the stuff!

You’ll need to make this in two batches.
Use half of everything for one batch, and the other half of everything for the second batch. That way, it will be a more ‘even’ taste, and you won’t have one batch stronger than the other.

Combine ingredients in a very large bowl, stirring in each ingredient well.
It will foam.
Let it rest for a bit, before removing it to clean serving pitchers, bottles and/or jugs.
Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
Keeps for about 3 days…not that it will last that long.

Bailey’s is good in hot chocolate or coffee. I have also made this drink (recipe from the tag on the Bailey’s bottle) for the holidays and it has gone over very well:

Bailey’s Snowball

Blend 4 tbsp Bailey’s, 1 tbsp Chambord liqueur, 4 tbsp half-and-half, and 1/2 cup ice cubes.
Top with whipped cream. Drizzle with Grenadine (optional).

Captain Morgan Brownie

3/4 mug of hot chocolate
shot of Captain Morgan
shot of Kahlua (sp?)
whipped cream to top

Goes down well after coming in from the cold.

Champagne is a classic of course, but I really like the Italian cousin, prosecco. Plus Clay Gordon, author of Discover Chocolate, mentioned on the Diane Rehm Show that it goes great with chocolate - what could be better for Christmas?

Hot Buttered Rum. .

Yum.