Our dog got a DNA test

Several months ago, I informed the Dope that my wife and I got a new dog. New to us anyway, as she’s about 6 years old. As with any mixed breed of unknown ancestry, we were playing “guess the breed” for some time after we got her. Of course it doesn’t matter what she is, but the curiosity can become insatiable. Folks in the original thread were the first to make me consider that she might be a Doberman mix. After living with her for some time, noticing her behaviors and appearance, I decided that she might be part Beagle, too. She sniffs everything, to the point of beingfixated and distracted by smells. This makes her stubborn and not all that good at coming when called. That is, apparently, textbook beagle behavior.

Fast forward to about three weeks ago, when Amazon.com had a special deal on BioPet’s DNA Breed Identification kit. I’m a sucker for a sale, and my curiosity got to me. So I ordered it, swabbed her cheek, then mailed the sample in. A week and a half later, we got the results, given as possible ranges of the breeds they identified. They told us that Laika is:

37-74% Beagle
10-19% Doberman Pinscher
10-19% Rottweiler

(Yeah, 37-74 is a pretty wide range, but I think it’s fair to say “half”.)

We were pleasantly surprised that they came back with results that matched what we were guessing. BioPet doesn’t ask for a description, picture, size, weight, or anything. Just sex and age. So sending us back those results with no other info to go on makes it seem like fairly solid science. And so there you go…putting modern science to an interesting, if pointless, use.

So what do you get when you cross a Beagle, a Doberman, and a Rottweiler? A pretty cool dog, if you ask me. And here’s a profile view in the dog-show tradition.

And in case anyone’s wondering how she’s doing since we started her on thyroid medication…she’s doing just fine. She had dry skin, a rough coat, lethargy, and about 12 extra pounds. Now her skin and coat are perfect, she’s more alert and loves long walks (though she’ll never be the hyperactive type), and she’s within a pound of what the vet says is an ideal weight. She’s a happy dog, and we’re happy dog owners.

Oh yeah, you can see the Dobie/Rottie markings on her. She’s a beaut!

What a beautiful dog.

And hooray for DNA!

Oooh, pretty pup! And ain’t science grand?

Am I the only one tempted to buy one of these kits and see what kind of dog I am?

On the internet, no one can tell.