What kind of dog is this?

My mom volunteers at the rescue league in her hometown and she got me a dog for my 30th birthday. My wife and I have been looking for one, and my mom thought this dog was too cute and we agreed.
We have no idea what kind of dog breed might make up this pupster’s DNA

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16953548@N04/5720360047/in/photostream

Can any dog lovers help us figure it out? She looks like a standard homeless dog to me, we saw alot of them in puerto Rico.
What common breeds end up breeding the classic mutt?

It is full grown? Beagle x chihuahua.

That’s an 8lb ten week old. Vet doesn’t suspect it will get over 30lbs

I’m pretty sure that your pup has some hound in its DNA. If the projection is for a small dog, I would agree with Beagle.

Adorable! If your curiosity gets to you, there are several places online where you can send a doggie DNA sample to find out what breeds she is. They’re not very expensive.

I think we probably will. Although, I’m gonna test out this hound theory and see if she will instinctually help me tree a raccoon.

OMG she is ADORABLE!!! that little face… those ears! Kittens are cute, but puppies?? Cute to the ninth power!

What was the question again?

Oh yeah… what kind is she?

Definitely some hound in there, from her size, probably Beagle. Color’s wrong for pure, as are the utterly adorable ears. Honestly, I have no idea what she’s a combination of, other than adorable + squee + puppy eyes + snuggliness…

Honestly, I wouldn’t waste my money on the DNA tests. There have been (many) instances where one was used on a purebred, registered breed and the results came back indicating some crazy combination of breeds.

Just love her and embrace her uniqueness!

Note that the doggie DNA tests have been described as “completely worthless” because they frequently return nearly random results. People with purebred dogs have been told their dogs are a mix of all sorts of improbable breeds.

I’ve seen anecdotes about large breeds like mastiffs and bulldogs getting “tested” and the results came back “chihuahua x maltese” and that sort of thing.

The cheek swab ones are worthless. Banfield offers a blood test that they back up with some pretty serious data. Cost is about $70.

As a bonus, you can talk to them about their wellness plans to get the pup through her vaccine booster series and spay without breaking the bank.

Yes, maybe Beagle, maybe some terrier. At that age, the ears could still stand up later.

I have heard mixed things on the DNA. If you want to try, http://www.biopetvetlab.com/dnahome.htm http://www.wisdompanel.com/

What a cute doggie. You better watch out, you can tell by the picture, after she eats she’s making plans to be up to no good. :slight_smile:

From biopetvetlab.com

Our DNA Breed Identification test captures pet DNA with a simple cheek swab. We can currently identify 63 validated breeds, which represents 92% of the mixed breed U.S. dog population. If a breed is present in your dog that is in our database, it should be detected. However, if DNA is found from a breed that is not in our database, it will be assigned to the most closely related breed, or to breeds that are further back in your dog’s ancestry.
From akc.org

Welcoming a canine companion into your life is a commitment that may last 10 years or more. Finding a pet whose temperament matches your lifestyle and personality is best achieved by researching and selecting a purebred–a dog with predictable characteristics. With 161 AKC-recognized breeds to choose from, there are as many breeds as there are lifestyles. Some reasons to consider a purebred dog, whether a puppy or an adult include the following:

So the DNA test can only test for 63 out of 161 akc registered breeds. That’s gonna lead to alot of variance. I think I will skip the test.

For those interested. We are gonna name her …

The key master of Gozer, or Zuul. Depending on which terror dog she reminds us of when she comes to live with us on Friday

The colors and tail seem hound-y, the face and size no clue; maybe some beagle. I too think you should skip the DNA thing. Besides being wrong, it will prevent you from being totally laden w/ preconceptions when every single day in the park you banter about the pup’s mix with newly met doggie pals.
Congrats! Let us know when she comes home…:smiley:

Looks to me like a purebreed North American Standard Mongrel Dog. Which coincidentally happens to be my favorite breed.

In seriousness, don’t bother with the DNA testing. It doesn’t really matter, and it’s not all that much more accurate (and considerably less fun) than just looking at it and guessing. At best, you could learn whether she has any predispositions to genetic diseases common to certain diseases (hip displasia or the like), but in that case, you should just skip the middleman, and have her tested for those diseases directly (which has much less margin for error than the breed-testing).

I don’t like the way that dog is looking at me! It’s… got secrets.

Oh, my God, so cute.

I can tell you exactly what breeds she’s a cross of. But first, I’ll need pictures.

Lots and lots of pictures. :smiley:

Seriously, though, the poster who said Beagle/Chihuahua put up a very good guess, IMO. Just go with that. :slight_smile:

She is adorable. I don’t think she’ll get all that big; her feet aren’t outsized. Congratulations.

She is cuteness! Enjoy her!

Of course, she’s not a cute as my dog. Close, but not quite.

It is interesting how people always try to figure out what a mixed breed is. I still wonder about a dog I had 30 years ago. He was a mostly black tri color, with straight medium length hair. He looked nothing like his mother and grand mother, larger long haired, setter like things.

Of course, the most reliable thing the breed tells you is what the dog will look like, and you already know that. Temperament, health, etc. vary so much within a breed, that knowing the breed tells you little.

You want a really puzzling one? My mom’s dog looks like he’s a cross between a beagle and a German shepherd (though of course, we don’t know for sure). Which turns out to actually produce a very good-looking dog. He’s got a beaglish face, but a brown-and-black body like a shepherd’s, and weighs about 60 pounds.