Our younger generations include good people, but some of our behaviors/actions poorly represent us

For this thread, I’ll be focusing on Millennials & Generation Z:

Now, if the internet, along with technology, was invented back in the 50’s & 60’s, then they would’ve gone through the same transition/struggles as we do today. There’s also mature & immature people from every generation.

Overall, even though we get a bad rap from time to time, I feel like that only some of us poorly represent us as generation. I was born in 1997, which makes me an older Gen Z.

This applies to every generation.

I graduated in 1977. The people just prior to my generation questioned authority, shut down the Vietnam war, created great music, challenged social mores and liberated sexuality and lived on communes. Some of it may have been trite or ephemeral but there was a lot of substance to what they did and stood for. The people my age gave the world disco and embraced the trivial and were far less political and socially active in general.

I harbor no negative attitudes towards the generations that have followed. Young people today seem more politically responsible and courageous than my classmates seemed to me in 1977.

The only millenials that have a negative perception in my eye are the ones people talk negatively about on the internet. I’m a gen-X’er, so I’m now one of the old guys at work, full of millenials. They’re hard working engineers with good salaries, living the American dream.

The millennials I know fall into two categories:

Those that are happily pursuing their own path, albeit not the norm. And those that are absolutely crushing it. Like changing the world types.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

― Socrates, 5th Century BC

Yep. Old-timers have complained about the young forever. I like the youth of today better than the youth of my generation. Not by much, but you guys seem do more open minded than previous generations.

Ha! My generation was going to be the youth of the world that saved the Earth and all her inhabitants when Jesus returned in the year 2000.

We did such a smashup job that He didn’t have to come after all.

What are you going to do for an encore?

Yeah baby.

No one is defined by their “generation” anyway. We’re all individuals.

Except those millennial snake people.

So that’s what happened to Y2J! Thanks a lot! Me and my buddy were just hangin out in front of the 7-11 waiting for Him to show up. We were gonna get His autograph, you know?
Then you had to go and screw it up by making the world a better place. Way to go.
Sheesh what a bunch of selfcentered jerks.:wink:

:smiley:

I don’t even have a generation. I’m part of GenerationFellthruthecracks.

You’re going to have to define those terms for the purposes of discussion, as they are not universally agreed upon.

[quote]
Now, if the internet, along with technology, was invented back in the 50’s & 60’s, then they would’ve gone through the same transition/struggles as we do today.

[quote]

No they wouldn’t. They still would have had all the issues, struggles and social pressures unique to the 50s/60s, on top of the changes influenced by technology and the internet. So, it would have been quite a wild ride for them, and it’s anyone’s guess as to how society would have been affected. It would have been quite different than the present day, or the 50s/60s as we know it. There’s really no way to know how society would have been impacted by such modern technology injected into a world that was amazed by color TV, integrated circuits, and credit cards.

Quite so.

Who or what actions do you believe misrepresent you (or at least, represent you poorly), and which people and/or conduct to you believe best represents you (or at least, embodies the characteristics you’d prefer to be characterized by)?

I also believe that our younger generations struggle with sensitive/controversial topics like dark humor, certain comedians (like George Carlin), & the way we do things. From social justice warriors to politically correct comments, I’m quite the opposite. I actually enjoy George Carlin because he’s a truthful, yet intelligent comedian: He tells you the way it is (sometimes through his own eyes), & he believes that life shouldn’t be that complicated.

Overall, being “offended” by almost everything is bringing our generation down. However, at least our generation is more into health & fitness, which is good for our future.

No, but people are shaped by things like shared historical experiences, culture and technology.

Like, as a 46 year old Gen-Xer, my experiences having grown up in a time before the internet are very different from those of younger people who had it all their lives. Similar to how my parents grew up with black & white television and my toddler has never known a world where he couldn’t summon Paw Patrol or Peppa Pig 24/7 through On-Demand cable or an Amazon Fire Stick (if I let him…which I don’t).

Here’s a cookie. (Dragging out Carlin as an example of comedians “young people today have a problem with” gotta qualify for a prize.)

That’s true, but only in a very general way.

There are so many other determinants of social character, which are MUCH MORE influential. In the end, these conversations about how millennials are like this, or gen-x is like that, are just complacent, shallow, and meaningless filler for various media.

I don’t have a fully formed opinion on this, and I’m not around the college campuses where the issues appear to be more intense. But I wonder if what you’re describing isn’t an unintended (and perhaps temporary) consequence of a good thing, which is:** I think the current younger generation is much more interested in being kind to one another than past generations. **

Bullying still happens, but I hear young people decrying it in a way we did not when I was young. Same for how we treat LGBTQ people and a number of other issues. I think the younger generation is way better than what came before in this respect, and I suspect some of the “offended by everything” at least emanates from a good place. In time, hopefully we’ll figure it out. But I feel good going forward and think very highly of young people today.

Furthermore, if you participate in a certain activity, such as a pick up sport, then some of the people participating in that activity expect you to be good at it, rather than just playing for fun. I don’t know if it’s just at my college, but I heard that several people would rather play with someone who can “hit the ball over the net” or “drain a 3 pointer in basketball”.

It depends on the type of group activity. If you’ve set up an activity as a learning time, with all skill levels accepted and instruction offered, then anyone should be welcome. If you are playing a fairly series competition, it’s much more enjoyable (and safer) if everyone has a basic level of competence.

This is true of all generations, and all activities. It has nothing to do with today’s youth.

I once saw a fight almost break out between two high schoolers because one misheard something the other said, and thought he had called him a homophobe. He’d have been fine with being called homosexual.