Out LGBT television characters

Nitpick: Intendant, and Nerys.

(Sorry, it’s not often one gets to use his near encyclopedic knowledge of DS9).

I think it’s “Intendant.” But yes, she belongs here all right.

That’s what I get for posting before I’ve finished my coffee…I missed “Nerys” as well. Oh well.

I find the Intendant oddly…um…attractive, and I’m about as straight as people are. Weird.

We’re forgetting the older English sitcom angle. Most of those seemed to have a camp gay person played for “humor” value.

Like Lieutenant Grueber in Allo Allo and Mr. “I’m ready” (can’t remember his name right now) in Are you being Served.

I believe that John Inman (the actor), who is gay, has stated that Mr. Humphries, the character he played on Are You Being Served?, was definitely not gay.

Jim Lahey (sp?) and Randy from Trailer Park Boys officially came out in the last season (or was it season 3?)

Tim Bayliss from Homicide: Life on the Streets came out as bisexual in one of the later seasons and dated men.

So was one of her best friends and business partner Nancy, played by the fabulous Sandra Bernhard.

Oops! Guess I should have searched the thread first. Sorry!

Permit me to add:

Shindou Shuichi and Eiri Yuki from Gravitation
Ayanojou Aburatsubo from Maho Tsuki Tai
Nishikiori Issei from Please Save My Earth
Sumeragi Subaru and Sakurazuka Seishiro from Tokyo Babylon and X
Sohma Ayame (at least) from Fruits Basket
Tenjou Utena and Himemiya Anthy from Revolutionary Girl Utena
Tomo from Fushigi Yuugi

For the trans characters:
VT from Cowboy Bebop

I know you said not to speculate, but Tobias Funcke on Arrested Development is the only one on the show that thinks that anyone thinks he isn’t gay.

Kids In The Hall - Buddy Cole and Running Faggot… to begin with

While most people are aware of Phil Hartman’s final appearance on “3rd Rock,” early in the series he had a one-time guest spot playing a gay sales clerk. His scene with French Stewart was extremely funny in the understated way Hartman had of doing comedy.

I’d forgotten that appearance. “Most men think they don’t deserve pampering… … but-they’re-wrong!”. When Harry mentions Dick, his High Commander, Hartman responds “Oh Lord… I’ve had one of those.”

There was the bald black dude on Spin City.

Subaru and Seishirou were never confirmed to be gay. The Bet was about: Seishirou killing Subaru if he never loved him at the end of the year they spent together. He meant to kill Subaru, but Hokuto got in the way. And when Seishirou dies, he never explicitly says that he loves Subaru. I understand what you are getting at, but it was never confirmed by CLAMP - they left it all ambigious, with a lot of subtext.

What volume was Ayame outed in? He wasn’t in the first 8 or in the TV series. Yes, he’s slightly obsessed with Hatori, yes he has worn a wedding dress, but up to the point I described, he is never outed. The only person he professes love to is Yuki - brotherly love.

Didn’t Eiri Yuki go both ways? It seemed that way in the first few manga volumes, but I’ve stopped reading. It is really hard with a lot of these yaoi series - often they swing one way during the series, but you don’t get to see the other side. Like Nanjo Koji - he gets pretty much exclusive with Izumi in Zetsuai, but there’s a scene where he is sleeping with a woman. And Ryo from FAKE - he talks about kissing girls and such at one point (don’t have my manga for reference).

I love how many different couples they put in manga, but I hate how they feel free to dismiss them suddenly. I get a vibe off of reading their manga, as if they are saying, “It’s not like gay couples are real couples, so we can make relationships as fluid as we like.” For example, Lee seems attracted to Sakura’s older brother, but he gets turned into a het, due to the fact that “It’s just the energy he felt” Or maybe I am just being touchy.

says that he is bi, in the manga. Their was an oav made, but if it was not broadcast on tv, it probably doesn’t count.

I don’t really think there’s any other way to interpret that last scene without those words.

Part of the reason the bet is so poignant is because Subaru really does seem to fall for Seishiro. And art of the power of the reversal at the end is that it seems Subaru won the bet after all.

Also remember the Sakurazukamori curse – to be killed by the one you love.

One of many, many representative lines of dialogue (translated from the Frnech version I own):

Seishiro: So I suppose we can pick a date for our wedding now.
Subaru: Um, but I’m a boy…
Seishiro: So I noticed.
(volume 1, p. 120)

Plus there’s Hokuto’s complaint that Seishiro is “completely obsessed with guy’s asses.”

I’m not a fan of the “innocent until proven gay” approach. Homosexuality is clearly, undeniably part of the series, and removing the romance aspect between the couple would make it lose a lot of its power.

Plus, I doubt there’d be any question of something there if one were male and one female.

There is that scene where he’s eagerly offering (in front of either the faculty or the student council – I forget which) his sexual services to all students at the school, male or female, as a sort of public service. He’s also constantly flirting with both sexes.

Hence the “B” in LGBT characters. In later mangas, both frequently refer to themselves as queer. Yuki is attracted to women sexually but only falls in love with men. Shuichi initiatially protests that he likes girls as well, but shows no interest in anyone but Yuki (though he does kiss one girl out of pity). His sexual orientation could perhaps be described as Yuki-sexual :smiley:

This is pretty sad, because I’m at least 10 years older than the show’s target demographic, but there’s a show on The N (The kid’s channel Noggin switches to teen programming in the evening.) called Degrassi: The New Generation which is a spin off of the original Degrassi shows. Anyhow, there’s a guy on there who just came out of the closet and is or was dating another character. I think their names are Marco Del Rossi and Dylan Michalchuk, but I am not sure of the spelling.

I’m surprised I even know this, but wasn’t Rob (Will and Grace) Ellen’s husband? I think Larry’s partner was Joe.