Out LGBT television characters

And, of course, Talia Winters, from the same show.

Was he gay, or just a cross-dresser? Not the same, you know.

Add John Irvin in NYPD Blue.

The OP did include transgendered.

Northern Exposure had two recurring gay characters- Bed & Breakfast owners, Ron & Erick. Both were military vets and they may have had the first ever gay marriage on television.

The series was also set in a town founded by two lesbian lovers, Roslyn & Cicely. A flashback episode dealt with their arrival and the town’s founding.

Nitpick: The town was already there when they arrived – Roslyn & Cicely just introduced some high-culture pastimes and organized the people to resist the local gangster-boss. After Cicely died, they renamed the town in her honor.

Sandra Bernhardt and Morgan Fairchild had recurring roles as the lesbian couple Nancy and Marla in Roseanne.

There was a gay couple, George and Gordon, on the TV show “Hot L Baltimore,” played by Lee Bergert and Henry Calvert.

His SO, Scott, played by Fred Willard (Mull’s co-star from Fernwood 2Nite) also appeared in 9 episodes (according to IMDB), so he’d count, too.

I think I would remember being on tv.

The list so far:
Will Truman - “Will & Grace”
Jack McCartland - “Will & Grace”
Willow Rosenberg - “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”
Tara (last name?) - “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”
Kennedy - “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”
Jodie Dallas - “Soap”
Dennis Phipps - “Soap”
David Fisher - “Six Feet Under”
Keith Charles - “Six Feet Under”
Beverly La Salle - “All In The Family”
Jack McPhee - “Dawson’s Creek”
Officer Zitelli - “Barney Miller”
Serena Southerland - “Law & Order”
Billy Douglas - “One Life To Live”
Michael Delaney - “All My Children”
Kevin Sheperd - “All My Children”
Bianca Montgomery - “All My Children”
C.J. Lamb - “L.A. Law”
Ellen Morgan - “Ellen”
Ellen Richmond - “the Ellen Show”
Androgynous Pat - “Saturday Night Live”
the ‘Men on Film’ (what were their individual names?) - “In Living Colour”
the Ambiguously Gay Duo - “Saturday Night Live”
Waylon Smithers - “the Simpsons”
Patty Bouvier - “the Simpsons”
Rob - “Will & Grace”
Larry - “Will & Grace”
Vince - “Will & Grace”
Sydney Shore - “Love, Sydney”
Doug Leery - “Dawson’s Creek”
Philip - “It’s All Relative”
Simon - “It’s All Relative”
Brian Kinney - “Queer As Folk”
Michael Novotny - “Queer As Folk”
Justin Talor - “Queer As Folk”
Emmett Honeycutt - “Queer As Folk”
Ted Schmidt - “Queer As Folk”
Ben Bruckner - “Queer As Folk”
Lindsay Peterson - “Queer As Folk”
Melanie Marcus - “Queer As Folk”
Nancy (Sandra Bernhardt’s character) - “Roseanne”
Leon (Martin Mull’s character) - “Roseanne”
Susan - “Friends”
Carol - “Friends”
Brian - “the Larry Sanders Show”
Debbie Buchman - “Mad About You”
Carter Heywood - “Spin City”
Big Gay Al - “South Park”
Sparky the gay dog - “South Park”
Mr. Garrison - “South Park”
Mr. Slave - “South Park”
Mrs/ Mr. Cartman - “South Park”
Denise (formerly Dennis) - “Twin Peaks”
Mango - “Saturday Night Live”
William ‘Butch’ Gamble - "Normal, Ohio
Maggie - “All My Children”
Lena - “All My Children”
Susan Ivanoba - “Babylon 5”
Talia Winters - “Babylon 5”
Cliff Waters - “Brothers”
Donald Maltby - “Brothers”
Oscar Wilde - “Ned Blessing”
John Irvin - “NYPD Blue”
Ron - “Northern Exposure”
Erick - “Northern Exposure”
Cicely - “Northern Exposure”
Roslyn - “Northern Exposure”
George - “Hot L Baltimore”
Gordon - “Hot L Beltimore”
Scott (Fred Willard) - “Roseanne”

I’ll have to pick this up on Monday.

As chrisk said, it’s Doug Witter, Not Leary. He’s Pacey Witter’s older brother, not Dawson Leary’s. Add Ethan and Tobey (both gay) from Dawson’s Creek to the list, they were both Jack’s love interests for a season each.

The O.C. has Marrisa who is bi and Alex who is a lesbian. On One Tree Hill Anna is bi. And Melrose Place had Matt Fielding who was gay.

I remembered a story line Ally McBeal about a transwoman dating one of ally’s coworkers. I rooted for them. Details are below.
http://www.twnonline.org/newsarchive/001207/lavender_tube.htm

Tobias Beecher and Chris Keller from OZ. Neither would probably self-identify as gay, but they were in love (as destructive and messed-up as it was) and were sexually active with one another.

Barney Miller had a reoccuring male gay couple. I can’t remember their names or who played them, but they were fab-ulous.

Nitpick: Sandra Bernhardt’s character was bisexual… Roseanne at one point observed that “when you go out with guys, they look like Arnie (Tom Arnold), but when you go out with girls, they look like her (Morgan Fairchild)!”

How about Janice Lester from Star Trek: TOS? She switched gender… and so did Kirk…

Oh, and Gene/Jean from Quark.

She also got to boink Tim Curry. Lucky lesbian.

There was Susan’s main squeeze on Seinfeld, who later boinked Kramer, leading to one of George’s greatest lines: Typical…I bring them to lesbian & Kramer brings them back.

On the show Doctor Who, there exists a Military Unit, named UNIT, which was set up to ‘deal with new and unusual menaces to mankind’ Apparently, their is a disproportionate number of gay people enlisted in it, compared to the number in the British Army. Why? Perhaps because they figure they might grt hassled a bit less by their mates when dealing with the truly unearthly, or maybe because the actors who played the parts wear gay, so the characters were too, as opposed to being straight by default. Sure, so the above fact was simply taken from a sound bite by John Levene, who plays Sergeant Benton. Now, this isn’t what the OP asked for, but I don’t think we will be seeing a “Do ask, do tell” scene anytime soon, outside of a skit show. Just for the hell of it, I have put an example below.

“Who here wants a date with Mike Yates? Bids start at ten pounds.”
Spartacus, the roman slave, stands up and declares his intention to bid. Eventually he wins, and upon trying to claim his prize, he is met by UNIT personnel trying to impersonate him.
http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/31/

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Lair/8022/HappinessPatrol3.html#Sarah

All this text is basically a plea to include the listing:
Multiple UNIT officers from the show “Doctor Who”
At second though, perhaps I should start a thread called “Who’s obviously gay?” I can’t now though, I need to log off.

Also Schillinger (the Nazi) and Simon Adebisi (with the little hat)

In Dark Angel, Normal’s girlfriend for one episode turned out to be transgendered, then decided she was a lesbian.

Oh, and the Intended, Kira Nereise’s evil double in the Evil Dimension in DS 9. That dimension’s Ezri (not Dax), too. Also, Jadzia Dax was probably bi, as well, seeing as how she was willing to pursue a relationship with a previous wife from a previous life.

Off the top of my head, the only cerfiably homosexual anime characters (slash fanfics and dojinshi notwithstanding :D) I can remember are:
Fisheye from Sailor Moon (transvestite and gay)
Kamatari from Rurouni Kenshin (transvestite, and pines for Shishio)
Kaoru from Neon Genesis Evangelion (but he might have just been messing with Shinji’s head)
Michiru (Sailor Neptune) and Haruka (Sailor Uranus) from Sailor Moon (the dub made them into cousins :rolleyes: )
Zoicite from Sailor Moon (the dub made him into a woman)

Transvestite characters:
Noriko from Fushigi Yuugi
Ryunosuke (sp?) from Urusei Yatsura
Ukyou from Ranma 1/2 (only very early in the series)

Transgendered characters:
Ranma and Herb from Ranma 1/2