Out LGBT television characters

…more “gay for pay”, really (I assume you mean the episode with the senator? we all know Mal’s who she really has the hots for)

There’s whoever John Goodman was, in Normal, Ohio.

Some characters on OZ seemed to be more “gay-gay” than “prison-gay”, if that makes any sense

Garak of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, according to the actor who played him, Andrew Robinson.

Martin Tupper’s father on Dream On.

Brian (Darlene’s replacement, played by Scott Thompson) on The Larry Sanders Show

Debbie Buchman (Paul’s sister) on Mad About You (recurring character)

I have to agree. Inara (why does her name always make the think of sushi?) is definitely in love with Mal. In the episode with the senator, she says something to the effect of “gender doesn’t really matter”, which would make her bi.

Oh, and “I’ll be in mah bunk.”

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned Carrie Weaver from ER yet.

Carter Heywood from Spin City

On Doctor Who, Captain Mike Yates. No wait, it was the actor who openly declaired he was gay, and I am to assum an eveyman charactor is straight unless sated other wise, and not pay any attention to the actor who gives the charctor the personality. :mad: Never mind then.

How about the transexual girl on Ally MCBeal for who I rooted to go steady with that guy? No, she’s straight.

Oh, how about the episode of “Brisco County Jr” starring Oscar Wilde? No, too obscure.

Hmmm…Mango, from the SNL skits? No, he didn’t need to say it.

I know!
Big Gay Al , from South Park!

Oscar wasn’t out but “outted”. Mango is closeted- there were jokes about his wife.

I recall Oscar wearing flowers of a type that symbolically scream “I’m Gay” in real life, which is as out as it get’s at the time. Sampiro, do you remeber anything about the episode of “Brisco”? I don’t.

David Duchovny’s character on Twin Peaks.

I have all the eps on tape and I don’t recall seeing Oscar, either.

I know I say it, but I can’t find it on google. :mad:

Maggie and Lena from “All My Children” were also lesbian. Well, Maggie was bisexual I suppose. Sorry I can’t remember their last names.

Androgynous Pat I still count because I recall a sketch wherein she produced a photo from her “sexually experimenting” phase - it showed her with a man & woman with whom she had a menage-a-trois. She must have at least been bi-.

Swap in Selma Bouvier for Patty…

Nice to learn about Mike Yates from “Dr Who” (or the actor that played him that is). He was one of my first crushes.
Added to the list are -
Rob - “Will & Grace”
Larry - “Will & Grace”
Vince - “Will & Grace”
Sydney Shore - “Love, Sydney”
Doug Leery - “Dawson’s Creek”
Philip - “It’s All Relative”
Simon - “It’s All Relative”
Brian Kinney - “Queer As Folk”
Michael Novotny - “Queer As Folk”
Justin Talor - “Queer As Folk”
Emmett Honeycutt - “Queer As Folk”
Ted Schmidt - “Queer As Folk”
Ben Bruckner - “Queer As Folk”
Lindsay Peterson - “Queer As Folk”
Melanie Marcus - “Queer As Folk”
Nancy (Sandra Bernhardt’s character) - “Roseanne”
Leon (Martin Mull’s character) - “Roseanne”
Susan - “Friends”
Carol - “Friends”
Brian - “the Larry Sanders Show”
Debbie Buchman - “Mad About You”
Carter Heywood - “Spin City”
Big Gay Al - “South Park”
Sparky the gay dog - “South Park”
Mr. Garrison - “South Park”
Mr. Slave - “South Park”
Mrs/ Mr. Cartman - “South Park”
Denise (formerly Dennis) - “Twin Peaks”
Mango - “Saturday Night Live”
William ‘Butch’ Gamble - "Normal, Ohio

And -

Maggie - “All My Children”
Lena - “All My Children”

Susan Ivanoba - Babylon 5

Showtime had a sitcom called Brothers back in the early 80s with two gay characters, Cliff Waters (played by Paul Regina) and Donald Maltby (played by Philip Charles Mackenzie).

It aired according to Google on 9-8-93. Wilde was played by Stephen Fry (later the star of the movie Wilde and imho the definitive onscreen Oscar.)

:smack:

Fry played Oscar Wilde on an episode of Ned Blessing, another revisionist western I had confused with Brisco County. (They ran the same year.)