Out of state license conversion - I'm so confused

This is in regards to Massachusetts driver’s licenses.
How does a person with no proof of their new address successfully convert their license to a MA license?

I have proof of identity, birth date, ssn# but no address.

All my mail still goes to my sister’s house.

I don’t have a job yet so I have no pay stubs.

My name will not be on the mortgage or any of the utilities for my permanent residence in MA.

According to the MARMV website though, I need to have proof of address.

Can I just have my boyfriend (as the soon-to-be owner of the house) have a letter notarized which states that I live there?

Or, is it much more difficult than that?

I have checked the RMV website. I have a hell of a time ever finding anything useful on that website. I have never successfully spoken to a human being when I call.

So, I really hope someone here knows the answer to this conundrum.

I had this problem when I moved to Pennsylvania. The utilities weren’t in my name and I didn’t have anything the state considered acceptable.

The question is, when are you actually moving to Massachusetts? AIUI, states won’t allow you to even apply for a license until you physically live there. There is also (again, generally) a grace period, during which time your mail will switch over to your new address and you can register to vote, get a library card, open a bank account, and do whatever else you do once you’ve moved that’ll give you proof of residence.

When I moved back to MA from VA, I moved into a friends house till I could find a suitable apartment. I think I just showed a change of address form from the post office. It may have been my cell phone bill that I had changed to the new address or a letter with the post office forwarding. I don’t remember it being particularly difficult. It may have been easier for me since I’d lived in and had been licensed in MA before.

I do live in MA right now. I’m living in what actually used to be my home, for the 6 years prior to me moving to NY. I left MA (and this address) in the spring of '07 and I came back in September of this year. But, I found out right at the beginning of October that the condo was selling and that I’d be moving again at the end of November.

So, while I live in MA, this is not currently my permanent address and since I am planning on moving again so quickly, I haven’t bothered changing anything over from NY yet.
boytyperanma I was born in MA and live here for the first 27.5 years of my life. I was only gone for 2.5 years. So, if being a former MA resident will make it easier then it should be a breeze for me.

I’d guess the proof of address is just so they’ll have a real address in the computer (just put 1060 W. Addison?), not necessarilly a proof of residency-- after all, would anyone really bother faking Massachusetts residency to get the coveted MA driver’s license?

I know at least where I am, you can even put an out-of-state address down. I know this because I asked the lady at the DMV once why the address on the licenses include the state.

I did this recently. The info I found online said you just needed proof of your actually living here, like mail. So I marched in to the DMV with some mail and they told me it wasn’t sufficient.

Fortunately, I was also registering my car. I didn’t need to prove residence to register my car and they let me use my registration as proof of residency for my license.

it’s not just faking Mass residency, it’s also faking residency in a particular town, city, or neighborhood. A few reasons that would be useful off the top of my head: so you can get parking permits, so you can register at the local CC, it’s required for a city job, etc.

Looking at the Mass website link they do specify “Document proving Massachusetts residency”. But IME (not in Mass) the fact that you may move from your current address next week or next month doesn’t change the fact that it’s your current address.

also it looks like this .pdf spells out what documents you can bring to prove residency

sugar and spice, thanks for the link.

As as as it is to say, I have none of that stuff.

No job. No car. No insurance. No nothing.
I suspect that the credit card will be the easiest to change. If I can get a bill from one of them, I’ll be good.

That feature is intended for people who are entitled to keep their legal residency in one state while living or working in another; for example, military servicemembers and their families are entitled to keep their residency in Massachusetts even though they’re stationed in Virginia. They’ll have a Massachusetts driver’s license, car registration, voter’s registration and whatever else with a Virginia mailing address.