Oven Fire

We just got a new wall oven. Kenmore Elite. This is the second time we tried to use it. While baking an artichoke dip (ingredients artichoke, cheese, mayo) some overflowed, and an impressive fire ensued. Like everyone, this is not a unique occurrence, and yet a fire has never before developed.

So there has to be a difference between the old oven and new. It was cooking at 375 degrees. It was done in the right amount of time, so the temperature is presumably correct. Might this oven be so well insulated that the insides become hotter? Might it be some special coating on the enamel?

I also discovered that a fire alarmed hard wired to a security system is very very very difficult to silence.

Electric or gas? I ask because electric elements are exposed and could easily start a fire if cheesy goop gets on there. I’m surprised something like this never happened with your old oven.

And I’m very adept at pulling the battery out of the smoke alarm quickly when baking. Just don’t forget to put it back in service when the smoke clears. Opening a window and turning a fan on helps. I don’t know if I could deal with a hard wired fire alarm.

Electric. And the flames were from the bottom metal. And no, it had never happened to either my wife or I ever. The old oven was 17 years old.

We have a house security system. 17 years ago, we decided after two weeks that it was way more trouble than it was worth. Clearly the smoke detectors still work. We know it was from area 13, but have no idea where that is in the house. No particular detector was squawking. The noise was from a 5 inch wall speaker I had forgotten even existed.The backup is a little lead acid thing. 17 years old. After I cut off the circuit breaker it kept making noise. Same when I disconnected the battery. Same when I unplugged the phone line. About 5 minutes after Everything was disconnected it finally stopped. They must have some small backup to the backup battery.

Everything has now been reconnected and is thankfully quite.

It’s possible that either the old or the new oven had a bad thermostat, so 375 on one isn’t the same as 375 on the other.

Well, I figured the major difference between the prior and current oven is the lack of an exposed element on the bottom. I assume the element is under the floor of the oven, although I see no way to access it. While I am sure that this makes the bottom much hotter, being above rather than below the heat, I still have never heard of this happening before. What does the self cleaning oven coating consist of?

Damn…how big is your mansion?

Like I do not even know where area 147 and 148 are.