Owwww! Burned, dammit!

My arm hit the inside of a really hot oven door. :stuck_out_tongue: It was only an extremely quick impact, certainly not more than a split second. Now it’s bright pink and hurts like hell. I put ointment on it at first, but washed it off when I read I shouldn’t have. It’s been a couple of hours, and it’s not blistered that I can see, but I could swear the pink area’s gotten larger; it’s certainly bigger than I remember it being when I first got burnt – it’s now about an inch and a half “square” or so.

I’ve been running cold water over it occasionally, but not long after I dry it off, it hurts again. :stuck_out_tongue: Gonna try to put gauze on it, as tips suggest. But dang, it hurts! :stuck_out_tongue:

Make that two inches square. :stuck_out_tongue: Still well below what the Mayo Clinic website recommends medical attention for, thank God. Though it makes sense; it was only a small, brief impact, and the actual burn site is probably a lot smaller.

Still hurts, of course!

General wound care is typically sufficient for minor burns including small areas of first or second degree burns. In general, antibiotic ointments such as bacitracin or silvadene are available over the counter from the pharmacy and provide all the protection these kind of burns require. Pain control is the second priority with burns and over the counter medications should be sufficient for this too. If there is any sign of infection (increasing pain, redness, swelling or pus) you should see a doctor.

USCDiver, MD

ETA: The above is general medical advice regarding burn care and should not be construed as giving advice with regards to your specific injury since I am not your doctor and have not examined you.

I have found that putting a used cold tea bag on a minor burn helps a lot.

I’ve found that for sunburns. Regular burns as well?

Aloe.

Ouch. Could you hear the skin sizzle when it happened? I burned my hand on a toaster oven and thought, “What’s that sizzling noise?” and then realized it was my skin burning! Yikes.

Stay away from the Silvadene if you have a sulfa allergy. It’s on the “drugs to avoid” list.

chizzuk, person with sulfa allergy

That was how I discovered it. I had burned my fingers while cooking (I am such a klutz). Later I picked up a cold, damp teabag while cleaning up and noticed that the burn hurt less. This was an ordinary first degree burn, no blistering or anything.

Funny thing I just noticed because of this: most websites I read up on for first aid (including a government one) cite one of the primary symptoms of a burn as “red skin.” Then they turn around and cite “redness” as a sign of infection that you must see a doctor for! That means they’re saying that both redness is a sign of a burn and that it’s a sign of an infected burn - therefore, every single burn is infected!

Weird!

My wife had a large area burn(chest and stomach) a few years ago and used Silvadene without problem though she is also allergic to sulfa. YMMV

We did discuss this with both doctor and pharmacist before risking it.

She did develop a rash on the skin adjacent to the burn.