Oyster sauce

What can I substitute for oyster sauce in beef & broccoli? ?

Well here’s a kosher substitute. Looks like too much work to me - but I might try it in a pinch.

This site recommends using an equal amount of soy sauce. But I’m not sure that will give you the body that oyster sauce would.

The Doctor

It might help if you could tell us why you want to substitute something for oyster sauce.

I’m not trying to criticize you here, but what’s the objection to oyster sauce? Can you not obtain it? Are you…no, obviously not vegetarian 'cause it’s BEEF.

I don’t have a close mimic of oyster sauce, because I can’t think of a reason for one. You don’t have to use it, you know. Recipes are just guidelines. You don’t have to obey them.

I guess this isn’t much help, is it?

Your question just prompted the response in my brain: “WHY?” Wish I could help you more, but (quite frankly) I don’t understand what you want help with. More details would be of assistance. I don’t wish to seem unkind; I would help you if I could. I just don’t get your question, really.

Thick Indonesian Soy Sauce ( called Ketjap manis ) can be used, though it will add more sweetness than most oyster sauce types. Plum sauce may also be worth a try but again sweetness probably needs ballancing with chilli.

Hoi sin might do, but it’s a bit sweeter.

Shellfish aren’t Kosher. ;j

Many of my cookbooks say there are vegetarian (and presumable kosher) options available- usually made with mushrooms. I haven’t found any specifically called “vegetarian oyster sauce”, but I’ve seen Lee Kum Kee’s vegetarian stir-fry sauce available in Chinese supermarkets. I don’t know if you’ll be able to find that in regular supermarkets, but if you live in an area with a higher concentration of Asians, then you may be able to find it.

Or you can probably just omit the oyster sauce altogether and simply use soy sauce, beef broth, sesame oil, and water (and some cornstarch for thickening, of course).

Thanks, all.
I’ll try the Asian grocery tomorrow and see if they have the vegetarian kind.
I’ve previously used soy sauce and I wonder what I’ve been missing.

Pick another savory sauce and add a generous amount of MSG. You can buy it in bulk in Asian markets or as Accent in any megamart.

The MSG is what makes it good.

I always thought oyster sauce was one of those duck sauce type deals where the referent in the name is what you’re supposed to use it for, not what’s in it.

The normal vegitarian substitute for oyster sauce in Chinese cooking (on fridays, when Bhuddists eat vegitarian) is mushroom sauce.

Lee Kum Kee is the only brand of Oyster sauce and oyster sauce subsitutes that is commonly used in Singapore. It’s quite easily available in Chinatown here in London, although I’m not sure if you can get it where you are (although I’, pretty sure you can)

Mmmmmmmm… Oyster sauce. One of my favourite things to do is to wipe off the little bit that sticks to the rim with my finger and savour the taste… Mmmmmmm… :smiley:

Oh, and as for allegations about the sauce being just MSG, or not having any oyster content, you can really taste the difference between “premium” and “normal” oyster sauce. LKK’s premium osyster sauce is quite a bit more expensive, but is totally worth it - the taste is much fuller.

I can’t go back to the ordinary sauce any more. :frowning:

There’s oysters in that?

Can anybody tell me what other Chinese dishes have treife ingredients lurking in them?

There are rumors about Hot & Sour Soup and pork.

I just noticed that Kikkoman Soy Sauce is Kosher, but their Tamari isn’t.

G-d be praised! I hate hot & sour soup anyway!

Ah, good. I can continue drinking the occasional cup of soy sauce.

Unfortunately, all the sites I can think of adress only brands, and not whether King Wok, or Happy Lucky Dragon or Happy Sticky Fat Jewish Man (you should see their sign) use treif or dairy in the honey walnut chicken or sesame beef or worshu opp or I really want Chinese food now.

I love Chinese food, but as a vegetarian, I’m really, really wary of it-- the more authentic, the cautiouser. What I think makes a cuisine like India’s so veggie-friendly is not just the wealth of vegetarian dishes, but the fact that what you see tends to be what you get. In real Chinese food, tiny pieces of pork seem to be crammed into even the most unlikely places.

For some reason, that line just made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

It’s true- hot and sour soup actually does (or should) have pork in it, although many Americanized restaurants I find leave it out simply because it costs more money and most people don’t seem to care either way. Better than the authentic recipe, which often comes with cubes of gelatinized pig’s blood in it. All you have to do is throw in some shrimp, stewed beef and cream and you have a Jewish nightmare. ;j

God! When I read the title and the OP, I had to read the thread because I was sure someone would make a crude joke out of it. It just seemed ripe for juvenile humor. :wink:

But your line about cramming pork into unlikely places makes it about 50 times worse. :smiley:

Is it just me? Am I the pervert? :eek:

On Monday, I made my own teriyaki sauce by reducing a mixture of soy, sugar and grappa (no mirin or sake in the house, sorry). It was v. good. You might want to try making a soy reduction (heating to thicken) and using that. It won’t taste like oyster, but will fulfil its mouthfeel role.