Pancakes!!! How do you like 'em?

I love best the pancakes made using the buttermilk pancake recipe from Joy of Cooking, but substituting whole wheat flour for the white flour. I think the WW gives the 'cakes a less fluffy, insubstantial quality. And I like them a little thinner, too, with maybe some chopped pecans added to the batter.

Butter, Mrs. Butterworth’s light syrup, a couple of rounds of Canadian bacon, and there’s your perfect pre-bike ride breakfast. Num!

I got the best pancakes in the entire world at a diner in Minneapolis (or was it St. Paul? I hadn’t had any coffee yet; I was disoriented) and I have managed to mock up a pretty good facsimile at home.

You basically make buckwheat buttermilk pancakes, but before you add the buttermilk, mash in a ripe banana. Then add enough buttermilk to get the desired consistency (whether you like them thick or thin). Pour the batter onto the griddle, then immediately throw on a few chopped walnuts.

Drizzled with pure maple syrup, they’re amazing. Sometimes you eat pancakes, and you’re hungry an hour later; not with these babies. You may skip lunch. Don’t overdo the syrup; the bananas make them pretty sweet on their own.

Nice light pancakes (buttermilk, of course), each one in the stack lightly buttered (well, not all that lightly!), pierced repeatedly with the knife (stab and twist) so the real maple syrup (not necessarily in a maple-leaf bottle, and the darker B-grade type has more flavour) can penetrate. As others have said, lots of crispy bacon on the side.

Even better, and having nothing to do with this thread except the name, are potato pancakes.

Grate potatoes into a colander (or use a food processor and dump into the colander) and press out as much liquid as you can. (If you do this over a bowl, you can use the liquid in soup.) You can mix in a little chopped onion if you want, but I like green onions sprinkled on top when serving. Pre-heat a heavy pan, add equal parts butter and oil, and then the potatoes. Spread them out evenly, press down hard with a pie plate, and weight it with a jug of water or whatever you have handy. When brown, remove the weights, slide onto a plate, and flip back into the pan to cook the other side, weighted down again. Cut in half or quarters to serve, sprinkled with green onions if you like. Sour cream on the side is necessary, but definitely no syrup.
[/hijack]

I make 'em with Bisquick too. The corn sounds good, I wonder if Ardred will go for it?

Griddle cake recipe from The Joy or Fannie Farmer ; I use whole wheat pastry flour instead of white. I always put some sort of fruit in, usually blueberries when they’re in season. I don’t like butter or syrup on top; whipped cream on special occasions, vanilla yogurt once in a while.

Usuallly when we make pancakes it’s a family feast; my husband does his omelets and hash browns, we make fake bacon in the oven, I do buttermilk biscuits , masses of hot tea to drink and orange juice on the side. The rest of the family uses butter and syrup; real maple for my husband and Log Cabin Light for the kids, because they waste so much I quit letting them have the good stuff.

forgot to mention that the pancakes may also be eaten rolled up like a crepe with the butter melted in the middle but then you probably shouldn’t use syrup. Very useful for large families. Everyone can grab a pancake(or several) and eat standing up. Bacon is a necessity.
-Lil

Hodgson Mills Whole Wheat Buttermilk pancake mix, but made thinner than the directions on the box. Covered with (real) butter, Spring Tree brand sugar-free (almost) maple syrup. Crispy thick-sliced bacon on the side.

I likes mah pancakes like I likes my women…

Sweedish, covered in Lingonberries.

The only poster to mention the absolute requirement of eggs no longer eats them? Sad. Every two pancakes must have an egg, over easy or sunnyside up, slipped into the stack. The runny yolk mixing with the maple/fakemaple syrup is crucial.

The corn sounds interesting. May try that. I’d like to try buckgully’s, but Boringwife may object to a nekkid Swedish woman on the breakfast table.

Best Meal in the world - Stack of cakes and eggs (as above), nice crispy hash browns, sausage, big glass of water, and a chocolate shake. Eaten 7 hours after your last beer. ahhhhhh.

I prefer mine lightly buttered and generously sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Sliced bananas and chopped walnuts please. Put some of each on the griddle and heat for a few seconds. Pour on the batter[ the mix is sent to me by a cousin in New York, used to be able to buy it here, but no more] cook, flip and cook to desired browniness. Skip the butter, and pass the Log Cabin™ I don’t like real maple syrup, and have tried several types and grades from various “Syrup States”. A few sausage patties, if I remembered to buy them, and a big, frosty glass of orange juice. Suitable for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Not being one to usually make pncakes myself, I go the easiet route possible, which is Bisquick. Once don (golden brown in color) I lightly butter each one, and smother the whole dan pile in REAL VERMONT MAPLE SYRUP. THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR THIS.

Anyone who uses fake syrup will have a special place in Hell where you are boiled alive in that crap over and over again for eternity.

I make mine from scratch. I used to use the pancake mix, but this is just as easy and better. I add a little cinnamon and fresh ground nutmeg. I add a little more milk than called for, and a little maple syrup to the batter. I separate the eggs and mix the yolks in with the milk when mixing, and beat the whites to a soft peak and fold it into the batter. This makes them light and fluffy without being too ‘cakey’. I usually make 2 or 3-inch pancakes since they are easier to portion and eat…for the 3 3-year olds and me, too. Melted butter on top and a decent serving of maple syrup over all of them.

I dig crepes too, but they take so long to cook I rarely bother. I will either have just butter and maple syrup on a rolled up crepe, or fill them with a sugar sweetened cottage cheese filling with butter drizzled over top. The cottage cheese ones are very nice if you have a little syrup left on the plate from the last one.

I would have to start a thread on my baked cream cheese filled french toast. <drool>

Oh my. You have to post that, cantara.

There’s a recipe here. It’s a google cached page, as the original web page seems to be defunct now…just scroll all the way down.

The recipe suggests quark, but quark isn’t quite the correct cheese. Something more along the lines of ricotta. It should have fine curds, but not as wet as cottage cheese. If you have any Eastern European delis around, you should be able to find it. Otherwise, use ricotta or farmer’s cheese.

Cheffie’s Blueberry Buttermilk Cakes (makes about six)

1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-2 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp Baking Spice (this is essential)
1/2 cup or so fresh blueberries
1 TBSP vegetable oil (leave out if mixing the berries into the batter)

Beat all ingredients together, adjusting the milk or flour for batter consistency. I like to add the berries to the batter, but some prefer to sprinkle on top. Fry on lightly-oiled griddle. Top with butter and pure maple syrup. It’s like a blueberry pie for breakfast, trust me.

Excellent! I would only add that one should NEVER use leftover potatoes for these. Potatoes don’t store well and will become mealy in short order. Same goes for hash browns - only fresh spuds will do, preferably reds.

I’m weird, I know, but I prefer to eat any of my breakfast baked goods (pancakes, belgian waffles, muffins, french toast) just as they are - no butter, no syrup, no extra toppings at all. I can taste the actual food that way - and for pancakes, I prefer the buttermilk ones.

Susan

Absolutely! Not cooked, not soft, not sprouted. Fresh!

I used to make Bisquick pancakes, but this is one of those cooking errors Pepper Mill has corrected in me. I now make them from scratch. i prefer them very thin and crepe-like, and use a lot more milk than any recipe I’ve seen calls for. But I love the way they turn out. Pepper Mill makes them more cake-like, and she adds vanilla extract. In either case, they get served with real butter and real maple syrup.
One of my ex-girlfriends, when I was moving out of Utah, came over and made me pancakes. As a fluorish she “made” syrup. I had never heard of such a thing. What she did was warm sugar syrup (not corn syrup) and added maple flavoring. I suspect this is the kind of thing you did if you grew up where you couldn’t get maple syrup, or it was too expensive.

By the way – Log Cabin syrup (which I grew up on!) always was a “made up” syrup, even back when it came in a cabin-shaped tin.