Pancakes!!! How do you like 'em?

Using Nigella Lawson’s recipe, except with whole-wheat flour. Stacked, with brown sugar between the layers. Sausage patties on the side. Coffee with milk.

:confused:

Really? It takes about 15-30 seconds to cook a single crepe. At most a minute if you don’t make 'em thin enough.

:confused:

I wish I could have the calories of maple syrup and lots of butter. I, unfortunately, will take a tiny bit of the butter and spread it on the top pancake. I’ll then eat them dry. The calories in maple syrup and butter amaze the mind.

I treat pancakes as a Syrup Delivery System™, basically. The standard Bisquik mix will work - right now I’m even getting away with the “just add water” type. Cook, coat with butter and drown in syrup.

As an aside: My dad used to make thinner pancakes, basically by using the Bisquik mix and doubling the number of eggs. He said it was a recipe he got from his mom and it was a German dish called “irehobber.” Unfortunately, I have no idea how it was spelled and Google hasn’t been helpful in any of the spelling permutations I can think of. Does anyone know what the actual name of the German dish might be?

Both eierkuchen and pfannkuchen refer to German pancakes. The former almost sounds like what you’re looking for (“eier” = “ire”) but the second part of the word doesn’t match.

Ah…figured it out by spelling out your word in German. It’s eierhaber.

Oh. No no no no. I’m ovo-lacto and simply don’t eat land animals. Fake bacon or fake sausage and two eggs = still a requirement. Had 'em with Kashi blueberry waffles just this morning. Sorry to word that in a confusing way.

It seems I really am the only Doper who was raised on pancakes with corn. I’m dying to see if anyone has tried it since reading this thread. What did you think?

Well, right now there are a couple of leftover cornbread pancakes that I made from scratch in the fridge that I am now very hungry for. Does that count? Actually, the corn in the pancakes does sound kinda tasty, though.

The very best way to have pancakes is crepe thin, with a smok-y-link rolled up inside and a poached egg on top. With real butter and maple syrup.

God, now I really am hungry.

For those of us with diabetes, the lo-carb mix makes a substitute.

I did not say a GOOD substitute.

When I follow the directions exactly, I get pan-creat. Doubleing the water involved makes it somewhat better.

Mixing the Splenda syrup and “lite” syrup gives me sonething brown, sweet and does not send by blood sugar to low orbit.
sigh

REAL pancakes

REAL syrup

admires from a distance

I only like the whole wheat kind. Honey wheat mix by Oroweat, I think, I haven’t had them for a while, so I’m not totally sure on the brand name.

Then I add a bit of wheat germ to the mix. And I like them with real butter and either real fruit spread, or some sort of fruit syrup. Oh, and good strong coffee made with “real” beans, ground fresh and finely.

I know, I’m weird. :smiley:

I agree - that stuff is so good it’s sinful!

At Flappy Jack’s, they make a killer blueberry pancake that is shot through with blueberries, has blueberries on top, and they serve a blueberry compote on the side.
I found my thrill…

Try this sometime. Make your pancake batter, with buttermilk, but without the bananas. Pour your pancakes onto the griddle, then place thin slices of bananas on each one. When you flip them, the banana slices will come into direct contact with the hot griddle, where they will caramelize, becoming gooey, brown, and sweet. This makes a hell of a mess on your griddle, but it’s absolutely worth it.

Serve with lots of fresh butter, hot coffee, crispy bacon, and a dish of warmed maple syrup on the side. I think that the banana pancakes are plenty sweet enough to forego the syrup, but I serve a little on the side to dip the bacon into. Heaven.

If you can remember any details about that diner I’d be interested. I’m always on the hunt for good food in Minneapolis. And I loves some pancakes.

ZJ

Cook 'em nearly any way you like.
I likes pancakes pretty much any way they’re made.

But, as for toppings (purists, please skip ahead!)
I prefer to use I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter. Well, I cartainly CAN believe it’s not butter… because I like the taste of it better than butter!
And King Syrup…lots of it.
What can I say?.. I grew up in the south and coming from a redneck family, the idea that you could make sweet syrup from a tree was foreign to me. Of course, making beer from roots was easily comprehended.

I have a fabulous recipe for sourdough pancakes that I almost never use because, as with all things sourdough, you have to start the night before.
But they are unnaturally light & fluffy unlike the mixes I usually use.

I eat them with the pure maple syrup my sister brings me every year when she & her spouse equivalent go to Vermont to help a friend tap his trees.

Well let’s hear it, man!

Love pancakes, but don’t have them very often; we usually make them from a buttermilk complete mix (I know, dreadful, isn’t it?!), mostly for pure convenience.

My SO was raised on corn pancakes and actually prefers his pancakes with corn morsels, so there’s another one who likes em with corn. :slight_smile: I’ve eaten cold corn pancakes and find them to be quite tasty and sweet just by themselves.

My preferred style of pancake, though, is with melted butter (or margarine) and what the grocery store calls “butter-flavor” syrup. Yeah, I know, gross some of you are thinking! However, here is where it gets really interesting: every so often, I get a hankering for some molasses on my pancakes! A couple of pancakes with a light coating of the golden molasses normally takes care of that craving for a while…not the blackstrap, mind you. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well, we didn’t call them pancakes, to us a pancake was always big, thin, and sweet, without additives. But I certainly remember eating a lot of corn fritters when I was a kid. We also used to make them with fresh, field picked mushrooms.

Mea culpa, I didn’t have access to the recipe when I posted. Here it is:

Mix: 1 cup starter
2 cups lukewarm water
2 1/2 cups flour
Let stand in a bowl in a warm place for several hours or overnight. When ready to use the batter, stir down the mixture above, take out 1 cup to replenish the starter. To the rest add: 2 large eggs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons bacon fat or shortening
1 teaspoon soda
Beat thoroughly. Let stand for 10 minutes, then fry on a lightly greased griddle using about 2 tablespoons of batter for each pancake.

All of my reading about sourdough says that the longer you can keep your starter going the more character & individuality it will develop.