Excellent movie.
On the gore:
Surprisingly gory to me. I can’t say whether it was necessary or gratuitous – really you’re just talking about a matter of degrees. I’m sure no one is saying “well, there should have been more gore”, and I’m sure that most would agree that having SOME gore definitely added to the feelings of unease and fear that William of the Bull created. But, given the feelings the complete picture left me with, I’m not even going to presume to criticize the director for his choices.
On the ambiguity of the fairy tale:
[spoiler]I’m sorry, folks, but this wasn’t “Legend” or “The Dark Crystal”. It wasn’t a fairy tale. It was (among other things) the story of a little girl’s coping mechanism with the horrors that surround her.
The Faun was was as real as the square that Mia Wallace drew in the air in Pulp Fiction.
[/spoiler]
I thought the Pale Man was one of the most creepy, imaginative beasties I’ve ever seen in a movie.
Please, PLEASE don’t eat that fruit you little dummy!!!
This is the kind of movie that really changes the way I think about movies. After this movie, I was thinking, “can I really sit through another Harry Potter movie?” This had so much more depth, and imagination, and originality. When all you (and by “you”, I include “me”) watch is Pirates, and X-Men and Superman, you can really start to forget what it means for a movie to be meaningful.
Really, really impressive movie.
