Paralegal qualifications in California

A few years ago, a new section of the Business and Professions Code was enacted by the California government.
Section 6450 (Stats.2000, c. 439 [A.B.1761], operative Jan. 1, 2004, replacing a previous section with much the same text) requires that paralegals take ongoing education in CA, every three years, “of 4 hours of mandatory education in legal ethics,” and requires other education for a paralegal to continue with. (Section 6070 of B&P says much the same for attorneys.)
So far, however, schools, such as El Camino College in Los Angeles County, don’t seem to have accommodated this statutory requirement.
Any California Dopers have more information on this than I do?

Dougie, I don’t know California’s laws necessarily but there are a lot of regulations that are on the books that aren’t enforced both at the state and federal level. It isn’t that they aren’t good ideas to be enforced it is just that there is typically a lack of manpower.

Also, the class itself may simply be a 4 hour long seminar rather than a 4 credit hour class. Again, I don’t know specifics, but typically ethics training from a federal end simply requires taking an ethics test and reviewing classroom material which last about 3 hours (2 hours of reading/instruction and about an hour for the test).

I am inclined to believe it is the latter. If that is the case, then I would assume local judicial personel will be able to direct the paralegal (I don’t know if it is you or not) in question to the appropriate place that offers that type of education.

HUGS!
Sqrl

Thanks, Sqrl. :slight_smile: I hope El Camino itself may be able to give me necessary information.
–Doug Montgomery

I posed this question because of an obstacle–the state statute I mentioned in the OP–that was thrown across my path about two years ago.
I applied for an entry-level Paralegal poisition with the Los Angeles Unified School District. About two weeks later the personnel office contacted me and pointed out the requirements of that B&P section that had been enacted–which, I have found, has met with considerable opposition from the legal (and paralegal) community.
Be that as it may, I went back the other day to one of my old teachers at El Camno; she said the California State Bar is arranging courses to meet this requirement, since no college in California–let alone El Camino, Compton College, or even Cal State Long Beach (where a classmate of mine got his law degree) has yet been able to accommodate it.
But the State Bar’s webpage has no information on this.