Passing the Bar, or CA lawyers, some advice..

Ok, it was said in GD that the only thing a person needs to do to practice law in California was to pass the California Bar Exam.

How would I go about doing that?

Exactly what, if I may ask, is involved in doing that? Do they ask questions about specific cases?

Is there a fee for taking the Bar exam?

I’m curious. Help me out.

Why don’t you ask the California Bar Association since they’re the ones who administer the bar exam.

Google is your friend.

I don’t know about the CA bar, but typically the Bar doesn’t ask about specific cases. Most states have an essay portion, where you are given a set of facts and you must identify the legal issues and analyze how they’d likely be resolved, and a multiple choice portion (around 40-some states use the Multistate Bar Exam) where a situation is described in a few senetences, and you are asked a specific question about the common law, not the law of your particular state.

Many states also require a separate ethics examination, the Multistate Professional Responsibility Examination, that you be of otherwise sound moral character, and that you hold a J.D. from an accredited U.S. law school (or a law degree from a foreign school and additional U.S. coursework, such as an LL.M. degree)

Tristan, could you link to the thread where you this was said? I’d like to see it in context, because from what you’ve said it appears incorrect.

–Cliffy

Sure Cliffy–

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=125897

The bit about the CA Bar exam is made about 2/3 of the way down the first page, by Tiburon

I add that the CA Bar exam is freaking hard. It’s supposed to be one of the hardest in the country. My wife studied for it for several months, starting immediately after law school and ending immediately before the last day of testing. Oh, did I mention it was a multiday test?

Everybody studies that long, and they’re all multiday tests. (Although I have heard from many folks that California is real tough. And it’s three days – most are just 2.)

–Cliffy