Parts in movies that make you cringe

You’re not going to want to watch Tank Girl. There’s a scene devoted to it.

Pretty much all of There’s Something About Mary was cringeworthy.

Worst. Film. Ever.

all the abuse scenes in SYBIL

Ian McKellen forcing himself onto naked gas-masked Brendan Fraser in GODS AND MONSTERS

Zed & Maynard with Marcellus in PULP FICTION

the hobbling scene in MISERY definitely made me jump!

Say no more. yeeee.

In the movie “Alive,” I became ill when they started eating the dead. Not so much because it was a horrific scene, but it was based on true events & found myself wondering what I would have done in their situation. Unlike Alien, which was creepy but unreal enough for me not to get seriously creeped out.

Another vote for “American History X” as well.

C’mon, Just1Lurk…spill. What happened with the Pizza Delivery girl?

I don’t think I’ve ever been so disturbed by a movie than by Closet Land. I’ve never seen the whole movie and can’t imagine attempting to stomach it again. :frowning:

::peruses thread…::

Swingers: check.

Marathon Man: check.

Misery: Check.

OK, then how about:

• The opening “sex” scene and ending “sex” scenes in the movie Kids. Hell, I can’t even listen to that guy without shuddering.

• The entire movie Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Ahhh, damnit. I read the thread title and thought “Simple…three words: Bite the curb!

Well, since that has multiple mentions now, I’ll go with Redfoot flicking his cigarette away and pegging McManus in the eye in The Usual Suspects.

Yee-fricking-ouch.

For some reason, I often get the line, “99.10% of women who wear black underwear are closet whores,” stuck in my head. Even worse is seeing black underwear, or a photograph of a woman in black underwear, and finding myself murmuring it aloud.

I’ve gotten some strange looks for that. It’s not a reference anyone ever gets. Other than my husband, who thinks it’s a deeply weird thing to have stuck in your head.

I just saw this episode, so I’ll take a whack:

Ross has a mad crush on the pizza delivery girl; and is also adamant that he has well-honed flirting skills. So he orders (yet another) pizza, and launches into his A-game flirting.

It starts with a “casual” query about the type of oven they use; when she replies that it’s gas, as opposed to wood-burning, Ross starts talking about how they add scent to gas, so that you can tell when there’s a leak, because the gas is actually odorless. Then he starts to go into other gases that have odors (all in a flirtatious/sexy voice) but by this time the PDG is inching away.

The rape scene in The Accused.

I knew I’d make someone squirm. :smiley:

I always seem to bring up “that movie” in threads like this. I will specifically make mention of the scene where Otis watches the video they made of their home invasion. That has got to be the all time creepiest film moment ever… and that includes the eyeball cutting scene in Un Chien Andalou

I saw The Cook, the thief, his wife, and her lover on tape when I was around 14, recalling the final scene still makes me wince a bit. Cannibalism of the shvantz was a bit heavy for me at that age. It wasn’t raw, and they didn’t show the actual act, but still…

Sorry for the delay in answering guys - I was actually trying to get some work done today :stuck_out_tongue:

In the Friends * episode, Ross repeatedly orders pizzas in order to flirt with the delivery girl; each time he makes a bigger ass of himself. In the final flirtation, (the cringe-inducing one) a conversation about whether the pizza place uses gas or wood ovens turns into a profoundly unromantic lecture on gases and their odors. Schwimmer is very good and funny in this scene as a man who knows what he’s saying but can’t stop himself from saying it.

After he’s completely blown it and his morale is crushed, Rachel stops the girl on the street and explains that Ross is actually a very nice guy and all that, he’s just terrible with the flirting. (“That was flirting?” the girl replies.) Rachel talks the girl into giving her her phone number. Leaving out her part in it, Rachel gives the number to Ross, telling him, “You’re must be better at flirting then you think.”

As for myself, it wasn’t a delivery girl, but a women in a bar. Like Ross, it was on a dare and in front of my friends. I still don’t know how, but somehow I found myself admitting I was wearing crunchy unwashed socks. Needless to say, the conversation, which hadn’t been exactly Everestian in the first place, went sharply downhill after that. It was a Class A crash-and-burn and I can’t even blame it on alcohol, because I wasn’t drunk at the time, although I was - very - not too much later. And in my case, unfortunately, none of my friends chased her down outside to tell her what I great guy I was; they were much too busy laughing up a lung. As was the bartender. For months there I was “crunchy socks.”

The Friends episode resonates with me because I remember so clearly that “I can’t believe I’m saying this, I can’t believe I’m still saying this, I can’t believe I said that” feeling.

Just so this isn’t a complete hijack, add one more vote for The Exorcist, The Fly, and “Is it safe?”

*“The Final Flirtation” - band name?

On a different level, every time Brad Pitt spoke in “Cool World”, I physically winced. I’ve since enjoyed his work in a number of other projects, but he was abso-freakin’-lutely terrible in that movie. Lots of the rest of the movie was terrible too, of course.

As for INTENTIONALLY cringe-inducing scenes… Flatliners had two little bits that for some reason really bugged me. First, a scene where they cut into the sole of a cadavers foot with a scalpel, and Keifers flashback scene where the kid pins him down and spits in his mouth.

I may be mis-remembering the details on those, but I do remember cringing like crazy at both those scenes.

thwartme

After the Ben-Hur ripoff landspeeder race sequence in The Phantom Menace, you see a little Greedo-kid doing the Cabbage Patch in celebration.
Keep your Aliens, your "Bite the Curb!"s, your answering machines. That scene will keep me cringing in embarrassment for George Lucas until I have no teeth and can’t remember my name.

Ack! This did more than make me cringe, it made me turn off the DVD. I didn’t even see any fire, as soon as I saw that psycho kid holding the sack, that movie was OFF.

A scene that has stayed with me for years and years is the one where Ellen Burstyn gets the living daylights beat out of her in Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore.

As I get older, I find there are more things in movies that disturb me. Stuff that would have been disgusting or scary to me a few years back, but that I now find horrifying.

The “Reservior Dogs” ear-cutting scene. Or any torture, for that matter. In “Stir of Echoes” when they show the girl’s fingernail peeling off, and the plastic bag over her head. Bleargh. I’ll be in the kitchen, getting a soda, until this scene is over.

Oddly, I hate movies where there’s a sense of impending doom – where some insignificant act by a character snowballs into this awful predicament. “Meet the Parents”, while a comedy, just made me itch, I felt so sorry for the poor guy.

And some movies are disturbing because they’re just so damn sad. I bought “Grave of the Fireflies”, watched it once, and don’t think I’ll ever be able to watch it again.

The scene in **“Bound” ** (an otherwise average movie) where the guy (might be Joe Pants, I’m not sure) has his hands tied behind his back and some mafia thug is chopping off his fingers with hedge clippers.

Farenheit 9/11 where they show the Iraqi children who were injured from the bombings. I don’t see how you can have children and not want to turn your head during that sequence (I only saw parts of it). (Note: *I saw 9/11 in London and was told the foreign version was a bit more graphic, but that might be incorrect information.)

For years after I saw that scene, I couldn’t even listen to the song that was playing without feeling ill. I have the DVD, but I leave the room when the scene comes on.