Party: How Much Beer and Wine?

How much beer AND wine would you buy for moderate drinkers (men and women) at a party for 25-30 adults? I heard one rule of thumb is to assume 2 people per 750 ml bottle of wine? Or, should wine go further? Also, how much beer in 12 oz cans would you buy? I was thinking 60 cans of beer: i.e., 2, 30-packs of cans.

I don’t know your friends, but if it were me and mine, I would go half as much wine and twice as much beer.

What type of party is it? For a summer BBQ, I’d assume a lot more beer than wine. Is everyone driving or is the place accessible by public transit? Informal enough that some people might show up and contribute a 6 pack or two?

Obviously, the advice would be quite different for a work event. I always stick to two drinks at any work event even using public transit. Someone is always counting your drinks.

Just invite Jesus, for in case you run out of wine.

1.5 drinks per hour per person. Split 50/50 between beer and wine but remember beer is 12 oz per drink and wine 4 oz. You didn’t say how long your party was going but if you had 30 people there for 4 hours I’d buy 15 six packs and 15 bottles of wine. That will also give you the opportunity to offer a nice selection.

Good thought, but no…we’re springing for this. No public transit. And, four hours is a good assumption (as someone else assumed.)

I found a “drinks” calculator online that accounts for number of people, length of party, and types of drink (beer and wine and/or hard liquor). Your answer is spot-on with their results. I was a bit surprised, but I am much of a party goer to judge.

Not a bad thought! By any chance, is he working on a craft beer?

You need to know your crowd. For my friends, I do the math then 2x or 3x the results. And 4 hours? That’s when my parties are just ramping up. I always have breakfast items ready for the handful of diehards that are still at it when the sun rises.

Kinda the same here. I don’t know any moderate drinkers, especially not 2 dozen.

The last party I went beer shopping for, the grocery store shopping cart broke:smack: