PC RPG recommendations for a console gamer?

Over the xmas break from Uni I’ll be heading home to the mothers and leaving my xbox 360 at my house and only be taking my laptop back with me. I want to get some games to play on the laptop when I get bored.

I enjoyed Fable 2 and Oblivion on the 360, I’m looking at maybe buying The Witcher for a starter. Any other ideas, dopers? These are my specs so you know what the laptop could handle.

Fallout 3, Mass Effect…you might like those too.

Ah, forgot to mention I’d played fallout 3. I liked it, but I prefer hack and slash rather than gun play.

Would my laptop be capable of playing those though?

Did you ever play Knights of the Old Republic?

Torchlight.

Fairly new Diablo-ish hack & slash with reasonable system requirements and it’s only $20. Available on Steam and other direct distribution sites.

Are you amenable to turn based RPGs rather than just action RPGs like the ones you mentioned? If so, Dragon Age is excellent, despite the hype.

I have at least one friend that speaks very highly of The Witcher. Take that secondhand recommendation as you will, though it is corroborated by good reviews.

I hear excellent things about Torchlight, if Diablo style gameplay appeals to you. Supposedly it is an excellent Diablo 2 clone.

Knights of the Old Republic is a strong choice if you have not already played it.

If you’re willing to take the Way Back machine 10 years into the past, I cannot recommend the first two Fallouts highly enough if you haven’t already played them.

There aren’t a lot of other open ended action RPGs quite like Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fable 2, but if you mention some of the other RPGs you have enjoyed it will be easier to make suggestions. You might actually consider playing the PC version of Oblivion. It can be daunting, but there are a plethora of excellent mods out there that can pretty drastically change and expand the game.

I came here to recommend dragon age myself but i’d like you point out that its not in fact a turn based RPG, even though a lot of people (myself included) play it almost as if it was.

The only game listed in this thread that you can run is Torchlight.

For everyone making suggestions in this thread, please keep in mind his videocard: (Go 7300). This is not a beefy card per Tomshardware: GPU Benchmarks Hierarchy 2023 - Graphics Card Rankings | Tom's Hardware. (its on the fourth rung from the bottom)

I think any modern game released in the last 5 years or so is probably out. No dragonage, Oblivion, Fallout3, Witcher, etc. I think anything modern that does run on that card would probably look like junk compared to the 360.

The OP might want to stick with the first two Fallouts, Planescape:Torment, Diablo2, and Baldur’s Gate 2.

The Fallouts are the best option especially since it’s really easy to get them right now. They’ve been re-released in your favorite format somewhere in the past year. Got Steam? Steam has them. Don’t like DRM but like downloads? So does GoG. Want a physical disk? There’s a pack including the first two games and Tactics that just came out.

If you haven’t played Fallout then you need to and it’s really easy get now.

I run Knights of the Old Republic on my laptop, it’s at least 4 years old and was old when I got it.

Thanks for the ideas people, might look into KOTOR and Torchlight.

Cheers.

Gothic I and II are solid games, with crummy graphics (so your card will probably handle them :)). I haven’t played the third one yet, but the reviews are underwhelming.

Also,Evil Islands- it’s an old game, and it passed right under the radar of most, but it’s a kick ass RPG.

Since it’s essentialy a console game port, you might want to check out Jade Empire - might ease the transition, and besides the Chinese/Kung Fu movie setting is refreshing.

And for Diablo style hack’n slash, there’s my favorite thus far : Titan Quest. Ancient Greek setting (again, original and refreshing), tons of character classes and developpment options, looks gorgeous.

If you can find it, try Divine Divinity. It’s a Diablo-like isometric game with a heavy emphasis on story-like and questing, and it’s pretty easy to get into. Torchlight has already been recommended but it’s cheap and highly replayable. You can find Fallout 1 and 2 from Steam but they are large departure from console games - next to useless maps, no journals (IIRC) and no hand holding.

I’ve had a look on steam, and I think I’m going to get KOTOR and Jade Empire for a grand total of 16 pounds :slight_smile:

After Uni, when I (hopefully) get a decent job I might take the plunge and purchase myself a desktop PC capable of playing better games.

Divine Divinity is available for $5.99 from gog.com. Not sure how their service works though.

Neverwinter Nights, the original should run with low details. The original fallouts are awesome games, and have already been mentioned. you should have no problem running those. I would also suggest the Baldur’s Gate series. Incredible RPG’s that should also run flawlessly on that system.

The original Neverwinter Nights requires a DOS emulator. :wink:

Sneaky! Man, I gotta check that out, good old AOL.