Pedestrians should be fair game if they're crossing outside the crosswalk!

I get annoyed by people crossing in the middle of a block rather than walking down to the nearest intersection*. But it sounds like this person was crossing at an intersection, but took a slightly more direct path to where they were going rather than staying in between the white lines the entire time they were in the street. And you’re annoyed because they didn’t stay in between the white lines. I don’t see what the big deal is. They crossed at an intersection. What does it matter if they’re physically in between the lines that mark the crosswalk, or a few feet outside of them?

In my neighborhood there’s a four way stop at nearly every intersection. When I moved there over a decade ago there were no actual crosswalk markings at any of these intersections, but like someone said upthread in California (and I assume most other states) every intersection is considered a crosswalk even if there aren’t actual lines painted on the pavement. But earlier this year for some reason the city went and painted crosswalk markings at every intersection. Except the crosswalks they panted don’t line up with the sidewalks (they do line up with the curb cuts, which I assume is why they put them where they did). I think it’s silly to walk three feet to my right, cross the street, and then three feet back to my left to get back to the sidewalk, just because that’s where the magic white lines are. So I don’t. I just keep walking in a straight line and cross about three feet away from the marked crosswalk. Oh no! I’m outside the crosswalk! Lock me up!

*If it’s a busy street. I don’t really see any harm in crossing a residental street with no traffic where ever it’s convenient.

No, of course not. If there’s a traffic signal and walk/don’t walk lights, then of course the pedestrian is supposed to wait for the walk signal. In fact there’s a joke that you can identify a Californian on the east coast because they’re the only ones standing there waiting patiently for the walk signal even though there’s no traffic. What “every intersection is a crosswalk” means is that pedestrians are allowed to cross three street there even if there aren’t actual lines painted on the pavement, unless there’s a sign specifically saying they can’t. This mostly applies at intersections without traffic lights; at intersections with lights there are pretty much always marked crosswalks and pedestrian signals anyway.

Yes, Portland has occasionally had “sting” days in which they concentrate on a specific crossing that has reported a higher than average number of accidents, then they heavily promote the number of tickets/fines handed out that day for all the infractions found. Got any stats for tickets handed out to people not stopping for pedestrians on streets and/or days not scheduled for special police enforcement events? I repeat: I have never seen the police stop a motorist for not letting someone cross on a non-marked corner, and I have never had a police car stop to let me cross on an non-marked corner.

At least in Hawaii, there’s a legal and social contract about pedestrian crossings.

From the Honolulu Police Department:

"Jaywalking is against the law

Jaywalking is against the law and is punishable by a fine of $130 for pedestrians who don’t obey the law in the state of Hawaii.

What is Jaywalking?

Jaywalking is crossing the street outside of a crosswalk or away from a street corner."

Source: http://www.honolulupd.org/information/index.php?page=pedestrian

Also as I posted above: “(d) No pedestrian shall cross a roadway intersection diagonally unless authorized by official traffic-control devices; and, when authorized to cross diagonally, pedestrians shall cross only in accordance with the official traffic-control devices pertaining to the crossing movements.”

Source: https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu…0291C-0073.htm
Am I being anal, overly sensitive, and too brutal in my choice of topic title, yes. But I just searched and found these articles:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2019/06/14/hawaii-news/hawaiis-52-traffic-fatalities-for-2019-have-exceeded-the-44-from-the-same-period-last-year/

"Rae reminds drivers and pedestrians to be safety-minded and to pay attention while on the road, whether on foot, or on wheels.
“We really need to change our behaviors. Both the pedestrian, and the driver.”

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/06/18/report-hawaii-is-among-most-dangerous-places-older-pedestrians/

“HONOLULU, Hawaii (HawaiiNewsNow) - A new national report ranks Hawaii as the third most dangerous state for older pedestrians.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/02/28/pedestrian-safety-deaths-hit-28-year-high-amid-suv-boom/3001923002/

“5. State with largest percentage rise in pedestrian deaths from 2017 to 2018: Hawaii (+1800%)”

And these just account for deaths. Non-fatal injuries are multiples of those numbers.

I’ll say it again. Pedestrian vs. car, car wins 100% of the time! Pedestrians, please don’t increase my chances of being a “winner”.

Dude, we have MAYBE 1/3 the number of cops normal for a city of our size, I bet you’ve also never seen cops doing a lot of things cops are supposed to do. Anecdotal sightings of enforcement are a piss poor way to judge the efficacy of a law in this town. Since I drive I will estimate that I see way more pedestrian street crossings featuring vehicles and I can attest that the majority of drivers, assuming they’re at least normally aware and diligent, will stop for pedestrians and I have seen cops issuing citations for failure to yield right of way to pedestrians although those are usually in the context of there having been an incident of some sort. I know people who’ve received failure to yield right of way tickets too. So there you go, my anecdata at least matches and likely outweighs yours.

(bolding mine)
I’ll be sure to be involved in an “incident” next time. Thanx for your solution.

I don’t drive, don’t own a car and have consistently failed securing a licence, but it was always impressed upon me that if you do drive, you are supposed to be and remain the absolute master of your vehicle at all times. It should/must become an extension of your own body, and controlled to the same extent. This includes responses to actors that are not within the expected or lawful range, just as you should be able to prevent a collision if the person walking inches ahead of you on the sidewalk should abruptly stop without warning for no reason that’s readily apparent to you.

If you can’t timedly stop or divert your vehicle in response to any external stimuli whatsoever, that’s on YOU. Drive slower, think ahead more, be more aware.

With all due respect. If you don’t drive or have never driven other than as a test, you’re in no position to set expectations of drivers.

:confused: He wasn’t setting expectations. He was merely repeating what he’d learned in drivers ed. You can understand NASA regulations and principles of space travel without ever having piloted a spacecraft.

Ahhh…fair enough. I recant my comment as this seems to be a case of the theoretical versus the reality of the unexpected while driving.

Yeah, no kidding.

I hear that in some parts of the country they have quaint notions about 'jaywalking". :smiley:

One should drive as safely as possible, but if the speed limit is 45 then by god if somebody wants to jump into your path then by a similar god you will not deprive them of the opportunity to get hit. One should practice diligence, but the rules of the road say move.

Sometimes the incident involves a pedestrian getting pissed off and kicking the shit out of some dude’s car. If you’re anything IRL as you come off here this is likely well within your wheelhouse.

I have not read the entire thread.

My first thought on seeing the title was

It’s a bit of both. I was hit thrice by vehicles back in my teenage years. Once when I was crossing a zebra on red, I was swept off my feet by the front bumper of a belligerent asshole and bouced off his hood. But the street had been empty when I engaged. No damage besides a big shock and wobbly legs for a while. Another time, on the same crossing, a woman’s side mirror caught my backpack as her tires screeched in last second braking (same deal, the street was empty when I engaged) - that time I was a lot more surprised than hurt and laughed it off. I honestly think the poor dear got a lot more traumatized than me by what had *almost *happened, breathing heavily with knuckles whitening as she deathgripped her wheel and stared dead ahead.

Third time, crossing on green in the middle of other pedestrians a motorcycle that had sped up on yellow barrelled into me dead on, breaking my pelvis in three places. Which was not good times, cost me half a school year and left me really paranoid about crossing streets.
To this day I’m still extra careful, and when a friend of mine half-jokes the insurance truth that “the pedestrian is always in his right, by law !” as she cheerfully and purposefully jaywalks I’m quick to reply that the laws of physics supersede driving laws.

That being said, even if the responsibility for shit not happening is shared, you’re the ones in control of 5 tons of metal chock full of inertia. When shit happens you might kill a child running after his ball with that metal. That’s a worthwhile thing to be keeping in mind at all times IMO.

Out to sea we call the corollary doctrine “the law of gross tonnage.”

Speaking for myself, “road rage” is more often “you just scared the everlovin’ shit out of me by doing something stupid and/or really rude which is also scary and now my adrenaline is pumping and thanks a lot for that you asshole and as soon as my heart rate falls below 300 bpm I will be able to respond in a civilized fashion so we might both learn from this experience and perhaps even become friends. Until then, DIE! DIE! DIE!”

I posted about peds and crosswalks in the Pit a couple of years ago and was pretty well blasted for being for being a self-centered person who felt that I owned the road. To recap - I live in a summer tourist town and the the law is that cars have to stop for peds in the crosswalk. My complaint was that people walking to or from the beach didn’t even look before crossing the four lane 35 mph street. They simply walk out in front of traffic because, you know, they have the right of way. Interestingly, the law also says that peds may not walk out in manner that makes it impossible for the cars to stop. Duh, if they do that they will be hit! Even in that case I’m sure the driver will be found to be at fault (driving too fast for conditions or something). It is O.K. however, to walk out so that if the driver slams on his brakes, he stops just short of hitting you. Yes, its the law but it lacks common sense. I don’t know whatever happened to waiting for a gap in traffic to cross. Its what I’ve done since I was a little kid. IMHO (and contrary to the law), if a pedestrian is hit by a car being driven legally (not speeding or no lights at night etc.) the ped bears some responsibility.

Yep, pedestrians attacking innocent drivers is the real problem here. :rolleyes:
Tell me, of all the citations issued when the Portland police had one of their special enforcement events, how many were issued to pedestrians attacking cars?
Here is a link to one of those special enforcement events I’ve been talking about. Notice that it is for a specific place and date, and that it is announced ahead of time.
Here are the results of a similar pre-announced enforcement event:

Citations issued to pedestrians- 0
What I can’t see to find are any records of citations issued outside of these events(let alone citations issued to pedestrians kicking tires).

Hey, between that and uninsured, wild-eyed pedestrians hurling their bodies at car windshields, their innocent drivers just minding their own business trying to speed through crosswalks unimpeded, pedestrian on automotive assault is a serious problem!