Pentecostal Dopers: Does "Borat" accurately portray the service?

I’ve been to Episcopalian worship services, Catholic, Lutheran, Baptist, Orthodox, various African-American denominations – and I’ve never seen anything like the Pentecostal scene in Borat, with the speaking in tongues and everything. What’s that all about? Are Pentecostal services really anything like that?

(This is assuming there are any Pentecostal Dopers.)

I haven’t seen the Borat movie but I was raised in the Pentecostal Church and I can attest that speaking in tongues and thrashing about were common of the services.

**Amp ** is right. I used to go to a Pentacostal church when visiting my grandparents in the south. There were people who’d run up and down the aisles, while speaking in tongues, and who’d just throw themselves on to the ground and writhe around. Sometimes someone would translate for the person who’d “caught the holy ghost,” as it was called. There was also lots of singing and dancing.

That is right. I have been to both Pentecostal and Assembly of God churches with friends and it was really like that. You should go if you ever get the chance. It is a rather surreal experience.

So what did the translator say the person was um, saying?

Living in the south, I too have seen this type of activity (as a kid), and I always wondered what, if anything, those words might mean?
Q

It’s probably either gibberish. Or, if the state is anything like hypnosis, it could be a foreign language like French.

(From my experience at a performance) if you ask someone under hypnosis to talk jibberish, and the person happens to know a foreign language, there’s a good probability they’ll use it.

Well I couldn’t tell you anything specific, as it’s been a long time since I’ve been to church. Generally, the translator would say the same kinds of things a pastor might say…Jesus wants us all to do this and that, and God is pleased that such and such happened. In my non-religious opinion, both the translator and the speaker of tongues got caught up in the moment and just said whatever popped into their heads.