I heard long ago that it was standard to tip a food delivery person a few dollars flat-rate, not a percentage of the order cost. It’s always seemed relatively fair to me, I mean if I order a $18.00 pizza instead of a $12.00 pizza, the delivery guy isn’t doing any extra work to justify getting a bigger tip.
Now, if I ordered like 12 pizzas for some sort of party I might tip more than my normal rate for pizza since the delivery person would have to deal with the hassles of carrying that many pizzas.
Anyway, my standard for pizza is $2-3. However like Spezza I tend to use a rounding system for convenience sake. If I place a $21.50 order and have a twenty and a five, I’ll not ask for any change back.
I generally never tip under $2, so on a $19 order I’d find a one dollar bill to give him in addition to the $1 change.
When I order something like a gyro for example from a small local place I’ll typically tip a dollar flat rate, which I don’t consider unreasonable because the gyro place in question charges a $1 delivery charge and I give $1 on top of that (making a reasonably priced $6.50 gyro a rather small amount of food when you’re paying almost as much as a whole pizza from some places.)
It may not be the case, but it’s my understanding that pizza delivery guys, unlike waitresses, make minimum wage. I knew a guy who had become relatively successful in the IT industry and had gotten in the industry early on when it was smaller, he had no college degree but had performed well enough at the company that by 1997 or so he was making $95,000/year. When the company went under his lack of degree left him with almost no career opportunities (his best offers were very entry level ~$30,000/yr stuff), so he decided to take time off from work and get his degree. During that time he worked part-time as a pizza delivery guy, he made $5.15/hour (minimum wage) they compensated him for gas money, and he made tips on top of that. I don’t know if that is standard for pizza places, though.
The way I see it, me tipping $2-3 is raising that guy’s hourly wage to $8.15/hour, which means he’s doing better than a huge number of people who stock shelves and sweep supermarkets for a living who never get any tip and make flat-rate wages well under that. Even if I’m his only delivery for the entire hour, that’s not a bad compensation compared to some of the other equivalent-level careers (ie jobs not requiring a high school diploma), although a successful waitress or bartender will certainly make way more.