[QUOTE=mhendo]
I certainly don’t recall working any harder in my tipped jobs than in my non-tipped jobs. If people needed serving, and it was busy, then we went as quickly and efficiently as we could, whether there was a tip on the line or not.
[/QUOTE]
When the bar is packed I have no problem with passing 10 people who stiffed me to refill the good tippers glass of water.
[QUOTE=mhendo]
I did my best to give good service in all the jobs i had, and i also had occasional under-par days (where i wasn’t quite up to standard) in all of my jobs. Some days, for whatever reason, you just have a bad day and don’t work as efficiently or as professionally as you would like, but this happened in tipped and non-tipped jobs.
[/QUOTE]
But in service industry jobs you have to ‘pretend’ to have a good day even when you’re not. Bartending isn’t like driving a taxi, you’re essentially a ‘friend for hire’. Do I give a shit about your exgirlfriend? No, but for $1 a beer I can pretend.
[QUOTE=mhendo]
From the customer’s side, i really can’t say i’ve noticed any marked difference either.
[/QUOTE]
Nor would you even if you refused to tip in a country where it was expected…you’d be out the door before the waitress knew you stiffed her. But if you frequent the same place and it’s known you’re a good tipper it’s like restaurant insurance. And take it from me, once in awhile tip someone deserving something stupid just to give him/her a great day…'cause it will, and they’ll go in back and brag about it.
[QUOTE=mhendo]
but i don’t need my ass kissed at a restaurant, especially by someone who is so obviously putting on an act. Just be polite, take the order, and get it to me in a decent time period.
[/QUOTE]
I agree, bartendings a little different, but I’d call a good server one that does exactly this…and don’t sit at my table when taking the order, I just want to slap people who do this.