[QUOTE=Cerowyn]
I didn’t offer an opinion before, but I will now.
I object to tipping on principle. People should have a little pride in doing the job they’re paid for. Meeting the bare minimum requirements (e.g., pizza arrives on time and reasonably edible) is not grounds for getting extra money out of me.
However… I do tip, and pretty generously. Despite my philosophical objections, I know that the drivers and wait-staff get paid less than they should, because our society has this fucked up idea ingrained. I would much, much rather those workers get better pay and remove the cultural expectation of a tip, even if it meant paying a bit more in certain sectors. Instead, I get to fund the assholes who put are too cheap to toe the line that we’re too messed up to get rid of.
[/QUOTE]
My philosophy as well. I tip, fairly well, but I hate it. And what I really hate is that I tip amounts keep creeping up, which means fewer people tip, which means waiters want more from me to make up for getting stiffed by someone else. I think tipping is Liberatarianism in Action - we get to choose to pay or not to pay and how much to pay for service, and some people choose not to pay and let those of us who feel an obligation pick up the slack.
At the same time, I dislike listening to waitstaff and delivery drivers gripe about people who don’t tip - don’t like the setup, go to work in an industry that isn’t so tip dependant. Yeah, I know it isn’t always that simple and sometimes sloshing coffee around Perkins is the only job you can find. I also know that when asked “well, why don’t you find another job” occationally the retort is “no way, I made $200 in tips Friday night, cash - I can’t make that anywhere else, I just don’t like working Tuesdays.” OK, then, stop bitching.