People who don't tip

In certain neighborhoods, delivering pizzas is very dangerous. I know of a person who was shot, cause some a-hole thought that he was a pizza deliveryman.

[QUOTE=Bites When Provoked]
Thanks for getting that out there. I get really sick of going down this road all the time because someone thinks that an American newspaper knows more about the customs of a country than the people living there. (Admittedly, I think Sydney’s working hard at becoming Little America and may well go into tipping as a standard eventually, but elsewhere it’s definitely business as usual.)

[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was an American Newspaper. This is from an **Australian **College:
http://www.monash.edu.au/international/australia/lpmoney/
*Tipping: In Australia tipping is fairly entrenched, although the practice is not as essential as it is in the USA, perhaps because Australian workers are protected by a more generous minimum wage. As in the UK and most of continental Europe it’s customary but not compulsory to tip in restaurants and cafes: tip if you think the service warranted it, and 10% of the bill is usually enough. If you want to tip your hotel porter, $2 to $5 is an appropriate amount. Taxi drivers don’t expect tips as such but many do expect you to round up to the nearest dollar and may grumble over the handing out of change if you don’t offer in the first place.
*

*Tipping is not generally expected or practiced in Australia. At first-class restaurants, however, it is customary to tip food and drink servers up to 10 percent for particularly good service.
*
(exactly what the American article sez!)
This is an **Australian **travel co:
http://www.bigvolcano.com.au/docs/general.htm
In the past tipping wasn’t an Australian custom, due to employees having secure positions and/or good casual wages and conditions. However, times change, and it’s likely to be appreciated if you show your regard for above average service, or to acknowledge an enjoyable experience.

Here a LOCAL Sydney site:
http://www.sydneyontheweb.com/essential_info/tipping.shtml
Tipping is not required at restaurants or hotels. However, a 10% tip is widely accepted as a standard for good restaurant service.

Sydney’s very own site:

Tipping
*As a rule, tipping is not expected in Sydney, however, it is customary so if you are happy with someone who has tried that little bit harder and gone the extra mile, then a tip is in order and always appreciated. Giving a small tip (10% of the bill) in a restaurant is in order if the service is good. It is also fairly common practice to tip bellhops in international hotels a few dollars, some hotels discourage tipping so don’t be offended if they refuse to take it.

Site after site from *Australia *sez that tipping of 10% for excelent service in better restaurants is standard- but not otherwise, which is what the American article sez. Maybe our Australian posters don’t eat out *in the big cities *at expensive restaurants much. Or maybe they don’t get very good service.

I could have added a score more of similar cites from international travel orgs and co’s. But those are native “au” sites.

[QUOTE=MTRG]
In certain neighborhoods, delivering pizzas is very dangerous. I know of a person who was shot, cause some a-hole thought that he was a pizza deliveryman.
[/QUOTE]

True enough. I never had anyone try to rob me*, but I did have stuff stolen from my car on more than one occasion. Plus, two traffic accidents (neither was my fault). And then there was the time I slipped on some dickhead’s unsalted driveway and partially tore a ligament on my knee (missed 3 weeks of work).

I will readily concede that being a good waitperson requires more skill than being a good pizza delivery person. However, I would assert that it requires more physical courage to deliver a pizza (especially in a decent-sized city). I’ve a feeling that that is one of the reasons why pizza-delivery is male-dominated, whereas waiting tables skews female.

*One jackoff and his buddy thought it would be funny to “greet” me as I got out of my car with, “Give us the pizza and your money.” I said nothing and just stared at them, calling their bluff. “We were just kidding around, man.” The state I lived in allowed CCW permits. Too bad I didn’t avail myself of that opportunity…

[QUOTE=Wee Bairn]
Service employees-

If you have the smarts to be doing something better, fuck you, go out and get a better job.

If you don’t have the smarts to do something better, fuck you for not being educated.

Stiffing the driver will surely teach a lesson to whoever set up the system.

:rolleyes:
[/QUOTE]

Actually, no.

This is my implication.

If you have the smarts to be doing something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you, go out and get a better job.

If you don’t have the smarts to do something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you for not being educated.

It’s amazing how many people immediately take the approach of “he’s just hatin of service jobs.”

  • a quality being that your wages could be truncated through no fault of your own

[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]

  • a quality being that your wages could be truncated through no fault of your own
    [/QUOTE]
    …but through the fault of some self-entitled douchebag who is happy to blame you for taking a job he himself is responsible for making shitty by stiffing you.

How about instead of offering career advice to the people you’re stiffing, you either stop stiffing them or stop ordering from them?

[QUOTE=Giraffe]
… stop ordering from them …
[/QUOTE]

But I love the food, man!

(See? You ignore everything I wrote and concetrated on one thing. I can do it too!)

[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]
Actually, no.

This is my implication.

If you have the smarts to be doing something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you, go out and get a better job.

If you don’t have the smarts to do something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you for not being educated.

It’s amazing how many people immediately take the approach of “he’s just hatin of service jobs.”

  • a quality being that your wages could be truncated through no fault of your own
    [/QUOTE]

I can’t speak for anyone else, but overall, I actually kinda liked the pizza job. It’s certainly not a long-term solution for most people, but there were a lot of nice perks. Flexible schedules, lots of time in the car listening to talk radio or music, seeing parts of the city, including the insides of people’s homes, that I would otherwise never see, always having cash on hand, free food, and I made a lot of friends with my co-workers.

All that said, I still thought that the people who didn’t tip* were assholes. Not enough to make me want to quit the job. But they were still assholes.

*Obvious exceptions for the infirmed elderly, really young kids, and foreign tourists. Basically for those who wouldn’t know any better.

[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]
Ah, I see. Because I don’t tip, it gives the delivery driver license to tamper with my food and possibly make me ill.
[/QUOTE]

Meh. I’ve had a ballsack in my mouth and I never got sick.

I must say Dudley you sure are coming accross uber-douchy in this thread. Really, if tipping causes you such a huge amount of angst, may I suggest that you don’t eat out/order in? It will make the unfortunate servers/delivery people very happy, and cut your chance of injesting ballsack juice down to about zero.

[QUOTE=alice_in_wonderland]
Meh. I’ve had a ballsack in my mouth and I never got sick.

[/quote]

Yes, but hopefully it’s been a ballsack of your choice.

I usually tip between 15% - 20% – most it’s because I want to, truthfully I understand and accept that waitstaff bust their ass to earn the tip. I usually tip delivery drivers, too, because they’ve earned it most of the time. But the tip is never to be expected and I never want to feel that I’m paying more than the asking price of a product because I have to. That’s not the reason why tipping was introduced.

If you’re perceiving that I’m coming off as “uber-douchy,” it’s only because I don’t care for the childish name-calling and bleeding heart whining about the poor underpaid delivery people and/or waitstaff. Frankly, I think the uber-douchyness of this thread can be evenly spread out. As an adult you are free to choose your options, and if you chose poorly, that is no one’s fault but your own. For that, as a stranger, you do not get my sympathy.

[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]
Actually, no.

This is my implication.

If you have the smarts to be doing something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you, go out and get a better job.

If you don’t have the smarts to do something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you for not being educated.

It’s amazing how many people immediately take the approach of “he’s just hatin of service jobs.”

  • a quality being that your wages could be truncated through no fault of your own
    [/QUOTE]

Maybe he got laid off? Maybe the economy was bad? Maybe his company was downsizing?

Either way, it’s not up to YOU to decide whether or not someone’s a loser for working a service position.

Hell, I would be willing to bet that you wouldn’t be able to hack it at the easiest customer service position, fuckstick.

Oh, that’s rich, coming from you.

[QUOTE=Guinastasia]
Maybe he got laid off? Maybe the economy was bad? Maybe his company was downsizing?

[/quote]

I’ve already addressed tough circumtstances.

Another moronic knee-jerk…

Can you not understand what I wrote? Where did I call someone a loser for working in a service position?

Here, I’ve capitalized, underlined, bolded, and italicized the important parts for you.

If you have the smarts to be doing something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you, go out and get a better job.

If you don’t have the smarts to do something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you for not being educated.

  • a quality being that your wages could be truncated through no fault of your own

[QUOTE=Guinastasia]

Oh, that’s rich, coming from you.
[/QUOTE]

See, and you don’t think YOU’RE being uber-douchy? Of course not, princess.

[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]
I’ve already addressed tough circumtstances.

Another moronic knee-jerk…

Can you not understand what I wrote? Where did I call someone a loser for working in a service position?

Here, I’ve capitalized, underlined, bolded, and italicized the important parts for you.

If you have the smarts to be doing something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you, go out and get a better job.

If you don’t have the smarts to do something better, AND YOU DON’T LIKE WHAT YOU’RE DOING OR IT HAS QUALITIES THAT YOU CAN’T LIVE WITH*, fuck you for not being educated.

  • a quality being that your wages could be truncated through no fault of your own
    [/QUOTE]

Will you at least concede that you can like your job, and still think that the people who make it unpleasant can be classified as assholes?

[QUOTE=Fuji]
Will you at least concede that you can like your job, and still think that the people who make it unpleasant can be classified as assholes?
[/QUOTE]

Definitely.

The only thing you’ll never catch me doing is bitching about them though. There are assholes everywhere.

[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]
Definitely.

The only thing you’ll never catch me doing is bitching about them though. There are assholes everywhere.
[/QUOTE]

All right, fair enough.

[QUOTE=DudleyGarrett]
Actually I don’t “see the world” as a Black and White image. That’s quite the generalization. I do however see the guidelines of pizza delivery as pretty black and white:

  1. Go to pizza shop.
  2. Punch in.
  3. Get pizzas from on top of the oven, already-boxed.
  4. Drive to delivery locations.
  5. Deliver pizzas.

Oh wait, you’re right, there’re all sorts of areas to be gray there.
[/QUOTE]

Your underpants are showing. Oh wait, that’s your ignorance. Guess what? There is gray area! Not every fucking pizza place is exactly the same!

When I worked as a pizza delivery driver (I was 18, but I lived on my own and had to pay the rent and bills like everybody else–sorry I didn’t have a doctorate 3 months out of high school) It was more like this:

  1. to go work, sign in
  2. help make pizzas some of the time, depending on how busy they were (but not get paid what the cook does)
  3. wash dishes if there were no pizzas to deliver and the cook wasn’t overloaded
  4. drivers almost ALWAYS removed the pizzas for delivery from the oven, cut, and boxed them ourselves
  5. drive in 115+ degree heat through scary ass Phoenix traffic to delivery location
  6. deliver pizza

[QUOTE=Fuji]
However, I would assert that it requires more physical courage to deliver a pizza (especially in a decent-sized city). I’ve a feeling that that is one of the reasons why pizza-delivery is male-dominated, whereas waiting tables skews female.
[/QUOTE]

I agree here. As a female who delivered pizza there were plenty of times that I was quite scared for my safety when delivering a pizza, especially to one of the seedier hotels or apartment complexes. And did have some really creepy customers. The one guy who kept trying to touch my face and make inappropriate comments for example, went into the store’s computer as a “do not deliver to this guy” red flag.

[QUOTE=Left Hand of Dorkness]
Crossposting from another thread:

As I’ve said before in these incessant arguments, there’s a perfectly ethical way to not tip: before you’re seated by the hostess, say, “Listen, I don’t believe in tipping, and I don’t plan to tip at the end of this meal.” Repeat this warning to your waiter.

By doing so, you’re giving the restaurant the ability to enter freely and with full information into whatever deal they want to enter into with you. If you do not do so, then you know that they are assuming that you’ll tip and are treating you accordingly; you’re knowingly taking advantage of their misunderstanding of their intentions; and you are thereby behaving in a deceitful fashion.

But if you give them full information, then you’re good to go. Just don’t be surprised or offended if, when they find out you choose not to tip, they choose not to serve you. It is, after all, their choice to make, once they have the information they need to make their choice.

This same rule applies to pizza delivery. If you know that they’re expecting a tip, and you plan not to tip unless they behave in an exceptional manner, and you don’t tell them that, then you’re engaging in a lie by omission and behaving unethically. If you tell them, “I’d like a pepperoni, extra-large, and by the way I’m not going to tip you unless you get it here in less than thirty minutes,” then you’re behaving in a far more ethical manner, since you’re giving them the information they need to make a choice.

Daniel
[/QUOTE]

This is a fantastically good point. Anyone who doesn’t tip should adopt this approach. If they don’t, they’re a wanker.

[QUOTE=OpalCat]
Your underpants are showing. Oh wait, that’s your ignorance. Guess what? There is gray area! Not every fucking pizza place is exactly the same!

When I worked as a pizza delivery driver (I was 18, but I lived on my own and had to pay the rent and bills like everybody else–sorry I didn’t have a doctorate 3 months out of high school) It was more like this:

[/quote]

Jesus H Jumped-Up Keerist.

Did you miss the post where I said If you’re a pizza delivery driver, you’re either a) an underachiever, b) financially irresponsible, or c) a kid. In my book, an 18 year old is a kid.

What is the relevant difference between your list and mine?

Wow, you can’t see the difference between those lists? You’re even dumber than I thought.

As for 18 being “a kid” what the hell difference does that make? I had to pay my rent and bills just like everyone else. I didn’t have mommy or daddy helping me out financially.

I have to say, interacting with you is like beating oneself in the head with a meat tenderizer. I’m gonna have to bow out before I choke on my own vomit or something.