people who drive to trick or treat

We live in a rural town with a small villiage center. Each year, several local organizations collect donations of candy, and distribute it to the several dozen houses in the villiage. Otherwise, none of the town residents could afford Halloween, as all the kids in the town trick-or-treat in the villiage!

If you live in one of those “house every 10 ft for as far as the eye can see” kind of neighborhoods, this is a major problem. People bus their kids in here because there is such a good “house to space” ratio. This results in a car being parked on both sides of the street with kids and parents walking down the road and cars trying to go both ways.

However, I can live with it one night out of the year.

I have stopped giving treats because:
A) People were coming from all over in their cars, not just the local neighbor kids
B) A lot of the “kids” were well into their teens.

I don’t mind teenagers trick-or-treating so long as they observe the trick-or-treat etiquette. If a nice teenager in costume comes up to the door in cheerful fashion and says trick-or-treat before I give him/her the candy and “thank you” afterwards, then that’s swell – I don’t begrudge such a kid a couple of mini-Snickers. It’s the surly, uncostumed kids who grunt on the doorstep instead of saying “trick-or-treat” or “thank you” whom I want to stick in the head. But I don’t get many of those, anyway.

I never got the Truck n’ Treat thing either (I like that name). Quite a few people do it around us, so there is all this increased traffic creeping up & down the street.

As for age, as long as you have a costume, you get a treat. I think it’s great that people keep doing it.

I trick-or-treated until I graduated from high school. Halloween was my favorite holiday. (Free candy? Hell yeah!) My friends and I would dress up and just go around having fun. (Good, clean fun. We didn’t do anything except ask for candy. And we were always polite.) And yes we drove to different neighborhoods, mostly the affluent ones where we knew we would get good stuff, but we’d park and walk around. We had a great time.

Driving from house to house is stupid- unless it’s pouring rain. Then I understand as you don’t want some of the costumes ruined.

Some people would comment about how old we were but we countered it by saying we were just enjoying one of our last times to be really childish before heading off to college. Most people laughed and said we had the right attitude.

My best Halloween was the one when my younger brother was sick. My dad took me out and I had 2 bags- one for me and one for my bro. We stayed local so everyone knew us. They gave double to my bro’s bag because they felt sorry for him. Of course I switched the bags at the end of the night so I ended up with the most loot! (Bad cari I know but I had a huge sugar addiction. I would rather have gotten candy than most things.)

I miss trick-or-treating.

I guess it shouldn’t bother me that people drive to my neighborhood to Trick-or-Treat. Its a compliment in a way. Yes, every kid deserves a safe neighborhood to Trick-or-Treat in. When I am home early enough, I’ll play ‘daddy at the end of the sidewalk with a flashlight’. (Its the costume you wear when you have kids) If I’m not home early enough, my wife takes them on their rounds.

Generally, I give out candy till about 9-9:30, and then I shut off the lights & lock the door. Sadly, there have been some Halloween Push-In robberies around my town in the last few years and I just don’t want to take the risk staying open later than that. Its awfully hard to tell a robber from a highschool kid under a costume in the dark.

My favorite memory of trick-or-treating was sitting in the back of the station wagon with my feet hanging over the edge (dangerously close to the ground) as my father drove my sister and me around the neighborhood. We would also go to adjoining neighborhoods that weren’t within walking distance. I don’t know why he didn’t make us walk. Maybe it’s because our neighborhood wasn’t really that safe. Or maybe because he wanted to give us the thrill of hanging out in the back of the station wagon.

Or maybe he was just lazy. :slight_smile:

When I was a kid my parents drove us to the RICH neighborhood to trick or treat. Whole, standard-size candy bars n shit, none o that “bite size” garbage. Spread the wealth!

One of my friends actually mapped out our burb to figure out the neighborhoods with the heaviest housing density, as Bruce Daddy suggests.

And we have the area of really expensive homes nearby, where they’d BETTER pony up more than a Jolly Rancher or two.

Halloween is pretty big in our town. You see whole groups of parents accompanying their kids. Often the 'rents are pulling a wagon with a cooler - if you get my drift. And when you get to a friend’s home, it is customary for the adults to be offered a liquid treat of their own… Good clean fun!

As far as age - in our town the kids go pretty old. No one seems to mind because the majority of them dress up and are very polite. Don’t get too many of those kids who race from door to door in minimal costumes just trying to maximize their loot.

My HS soph is going. My 8th grade boy was trying to convince me that “official” trick-or-treating hours extended to 11 p.m. It really is amusing when he tries to see how much of a chump I am!

If I took my kid trick or treating in my neighborhood, she’d end up with a bag full of crack, not chocolate.

Besides, my street has a HUGE hill that practically nobody can walk. Screw it!

At least that’d be my philosophy if we did trick or treating …

Heresy! Mary Janes are God’s Own Candy…

I did that with a friend one year. His dad drove us to another neighborhood in an International Scout and I got five full-size Hershey bars out if it!

I dont have a problem with people driving to my neighborhood from the surrounding area. I live in a small town that is surrounded by rural areas. I dont even have a problem with people driving up fram a crappy neighborhood, but park your car once you get here. Dont drive house to house. As far as being to old, I give little kids a big handfull of candy, older kids a small handfull and surley teenagers w/o a costume get one piece of crappy candy. And t-kella I do walk with my 4 and 9 year old the 11 year old is going with friends and I hope to god the 17 year old doesnt plan on trick or treating this year.

Ummm, NO, because the streets are only wide enough for two lanes, one in and one out of the neighborhood. Where are we supposed to park? In the way of cars who actually LIVE in the neighborhood and who are trying to get home (Or go out shopping, to parties, etc)?? And I don’t know about your neighborhood, but mine is a good couple of miles all told. You gonna make a 5 year old walk all that way? Times several neighborhoods? In the cold, in a thin little costume? I don’t mind taking long walks, but little bitty legs get tired.

Second…so the poor people who live in these neighborhoods are supposed to contend with hordes of vehicles parked all up and down the streets of their neighborhood because a few people think that we’re “lazy”??

I’d PREFER to be able to walk around with the kids (though mine are past trick or treating stage).

Generally, what I used to do was have my mom drive the car while I walked around with my kids. But SOMEONE had to drive the car so as not to inconvenience the people in the neighborhood. And I didn’t make my little ones walk the entire neighborhood either.

It’s kindof shortsighted to call these people “lazy” and accuse them of wanting to sit on their fat asses. Some folks DO have valid reasons for this behaviour, such as the ones I mention.

SHEESH, it’s one night out of the year, you don’t see us running to soccer/hockey/football/dance practice/whatever and lugging 900 pound soccer/hockey/football/dance gear bags, and other paraphenalia the other many many nights of the year.

Gee, judgmental much??? Not meant to you, but to the OP and others who are making snap judgments based on their seeing these people for a few measly moments out of their lives).

We moved last December to the suburbs north of Dallas, but prior to that lived in the heart of Dallas. Hordes of folks from the poor Hispanic areas to the west drove in each year. Some of the kiddos didn’t have costumes on and held out flimsy grocery store bags - I handed out sturdy Halloween bags to those. I figured it was the least I could do. I was always concerned about cars on the street with a billion kids running about, but everyone always drove very slow. I rather doubt we’ll get the same inflow at our house near the Telecom corrider this year, so I will likely have enough left-over candy to feed the world.

My only rule is: when my house lights are out, don’t ring the bell!

Happy Hallow’s Eve, y’all!

What? This statement went by without a crack about you missing your periods… :dubious: y’all are off your game.

jayjay Is that what they’re called? I thought something else… like Witch’s shit or bat guano.

So how 'bout an address. Send 'em all to ya postage due. :smiley:
and

G-RAY good for you, really. I walked mine until they hit about 10 y/o & then I could follow behind but not with. My son anyway, NOT COOL. One good thing about highschool, no more t^t.

BTW I agree w/ya on the car thing for the most part. Last time I went there was bumper2bumper traffic.

Couldn’t believe what I saw. :eek: Like I said the LAST time.

oops…I take it back. The last time IN TOWN. The last time period <heh> was a hayride through the country and we’d stop occasionally when a house would be lit up w/ decorations and stuff. The adults enjoyed seeing the kids, since they get very few out here. Besides I know most of the folks anyway. No worries. Now that was pretty cool. :cool:

Tractor w/ trailer full of hay, rig up a few strings of 12V orange & black lights, a couple of Jack O’ Lanterns, blankets, cooler w/ sodas & stuff, portable stereo playing spooky music, lots of kids and some parents…stop a couple of dozen times in a 2-3 hour cruise. Kids/parents all have fun and still get some candy.

Whoah there. You okay Canvas? I didn’t mean to upset you. Of course I’m not talking about neighborhoods with no parking, if I did, my post wouldn’t make any sense! I also was assuming that the neighborhood wouldn’t have just enough parking for the residents. Don’t they have driveways? If street parking is available, I’d imagine there’d be plenty of spaces free. In the neighborhoods I’ve been to. Obviously, the one you’re talking about is different. As far as the miles being walked, I’ve never heard of people getting driven to trick or treat. At least, not within a neighborhood. When I was a kid, we’d trick or treat until we got tired, that was an indication it was time to stop, or head back. I’d imagine you could trick or treat all night if you’re being driven around! When do you call it quits? I’m not being snarky at all, I’m geniunely curious! Your kids must get one hell of a loot.

:smiley:

On one hand, I sympathize with the people who have to $50 of candy and send someone out to the store to buy more halfway through the night. Beggar’s Night is expensive, and you’re doing the world a favor just by indulging kids’ taste for sweets.

On the other hand, I grew up, like a lot of people in the thread, in a rural area that had no sidewalks and perhaps two houses within walking distance. If we didn’t drive to a subdivision or a neighborhood in town, there would have been no trick-or-treating. I know it’s frustrating to homeowners to spend the evening handing out candy to strangers, then again, that’s sort of what trick-or-treating is about, right? You open the door for some, you open the door for everybody, and all the kids – hicks and cityfolk alike – get their sweets.

At work today, I was assembling the Letters to the Editor page and read a letter from a woman who declared she wasn’t giving out candy this year because she knew kids would be driven in from outside of the neighborhood. I can’t help but wonder if she checked IDs last year and turned away the outsiders.

Me, I can’t stand it when kids ring the bell and don’t even say “Trick-or-treat!” when I answer. I always wait a beat and then ask, “Well, what do you say?” in a tone like someone’s mom reminding them to say “thank you.” The kids say the magic words, and the first prompting usually has them in the mindset to thank me, too. No holiday is too kidcentric for a lesson in manners, I say.

If I lived in a neighborhood that has no room to park a car, I certainly wouldn’t appreciate a bunch of people crawling from house to house blocking up the roads while I’m trying to get home, go out shopping, or to parties.
Just find a place to park, geeeeesh.

If it’s cold, I recommend something other than a thin costume, and if your kid’s 5, and has little bitty legs, then perhaps miles of trick or treating through several neighborhoods is a bit much for them. How much candy do they wind up with anyway?