Oh, well, since we’re going point-by-point…
And let’s remember what I said in my first post: I’m not a football fan - I’m the wife of a football fan, who responded to the OP by discussing why I, personally, was peachy keen with the Patriots not winning the Superbowl. People other than rabid, obsessively informed sports fans are entitled to opinions about sports - and this was mine. Clearly advertised as such, I might add.
[QUOTE=storyteller0910]
What should they have done? Seriously? Should they have mentioned it every week? Worn sackcloth and ashes to the postgame press conferences? Wept openly? Should Junior Seau have flagellated himself on public television because his coach got caught in a minor technical violation?
It’s not like they went out each week and said, “Fuck all y’all, we cheated and we’re happy about it.” What did you expect?
[/QUOTE]
I didn’t expect a season of sackcloth and ashes - but every response I, personally, saw or heard of from them wasn’t even marginally apologetic - instead they went with “righteously outraged that you could doubt our integrity”, which strikes me as both profoundly disingenuous and obnoxious behavior for a group that got caught violating the rules of their sport. I didn’t see or hear about an apology - if they made one at all, it was on the down-low. That, to me, would have been the absolute, bare-bones minimum they should have done.
[QUOTE=storyteller0910]
I must have missed that. Can you point me toward a few quotes? Can you show me where Tom Brady is quoted as saying “we’re awesome and everyone else needs to step off,” or where Matt Light insulted the mama of some opposing defensive tackle? Because every quote from a Patriot that I read - all year - was basically: “Talk is cheap. We take every team seriously, and we’re focusing on our next opponent; we’ll let our play on the field do the talking.” Did they produce reams of bulletin-board fodder that I missed? Sure, the canned quotes were boring and trite, but asshole-ish? Only if you’re predisposed to think they’re assholes.
[/QUOTE]
No need to be snarky with me, sir. The interviews I saw and heard, the press meetings I caught clips and bits of, inevitably had me thinking “Man, these guys are arrrogant jackassess” at the end of them. Their whole attitude was smug and totally dismissive of the other players. Granted, professional athletes quite often come off that way, but this is the first time I’ve had *every single * interview with a given team leave me with that taste in my mouth.
And I’m not predisposed to think anything a’tall about them. I only follow football to the extent required to make marginally intelligent conversation with my dearly beloved husband about it. In essence, it’s a purely academic pursuit to me - and not one I’m interested in personally. I don’t actually care about it in the slightest. Hell, one can’t even plausibly argue I’ve let my own view be tainted by my husband’s fandom - I’ve known my family a lot longer than I’ve known my husband, and they’re all rabid, frothing Patriots fans.
[QUOTE=storyteller0910]
Yeah, he’s a dick. NFL coaches, by and large, are dicks. Tom Coughlin, before he had some kind of miracle turnaround this year, was a massive tool, who basically spent his entire life yelling at people to get off his lawn. Bill Parcells is arguably the most arrogant blowhard is history. Dennis Green famously erupted at the media when questioned. Why single out Bill Belichek.
[/QUOTE]
I’m sorry, what’s your point here? I didn’t say I liked Parcells or Green or Coughlin any more than I liked Belichek. Actually, I didn’t even mention other coaches, if I recall correctly. Belichek is a world-class prick by all accounts, full-stop. I have a hard time being happy and excited for world-class pricks even when great things happen for them, full-stop.
[QUOTE=storyteller0910]
Why? I’ve never seen the man make a quote that sounded smug or arrogant. He’s focused on the field. He keeps his cool, on the field and in the press, in spite of the fact that people who hate him for no articulable reason attack him as a man and a father. Where is the arrogance?
[/QUOTE]
It’s my personal opinion. That’s why I inserted the phrase “in my opinion” into my discussion of him. I don’t like him. *My impression * of him is that he’s an arrogant, smarmy waste of perfectly serviceable carbon. I don’t know a single damn thing about his paternity status or behavior. Why do I need a cite for why I dislike someone? I just do. For the record, I feel the same way about a number of other people - including other notable sports stars. I have lots of reasons for why I dislike him so intensely, but they don’t really matter, do they? As for why it’s germane to a discussion of why all the Pats hate, see the last sentance of my my comment regarding Coach Belichek immediately above. The quarterback and the coach, for good or ill, are the public faces and leaders of a team. It’s inevitable that people will base their opinions of the team at least in part on their opinions of the public faces of the team.
[QUOTE=storyteller0910]
Again, where did you see this attitude? The sportswriters attributed it to the players, but I defy you to produce quotes that suggested this attitude coming from any of the players.
Once again, I saw no indication of this. Every quote I heard coming from those players was one of excitement and appreciation, coupled with a healthy interest in focusing on the next game instead of the last one.
Cite?
Man, fuck that noise. When I was playing sports, if I got the sense that the other team was condescending to me and letting up, I’d have punched someone in the face for thinking I needed a pacifier. If I want you to stop scoring, I’ll damn well stop you from scoring. If I can’t stop you from scoring, that’s my problem. It’s telling that complaints of this nature come mostly from fans and writers - the actual players on the losing end of those games mostly didn’t complain, because they know it’s a ridiculous complaint.
Once more, for posterity: cite?
[/QUOTE]
I’ve grouped these for convenience, as my response to all is fundamentally the same. For specific instances, you’ll need to find yourself another girl. I’m a layperson - and gave my view on “why all the Pats haterz” as such. Other posters have kindly provided cites for me (to which I say, Thanks guys!) for most of those of my comments you object to. I’ll repeat, for posterity (to quote your snarky line above), I’m not a football fan. This means that I don’t spend much of my time watching ESPN or listening to sports radio or reading the sports section of any of my local papers. I hear about some of it, and see some of it, because I don’t live under a fucking rock. I hear a little more than a lot of folks because I do live with a certified sports fanatic.
And I can tell you the impression I formed of this year’s Patriots team based on what I saw and heard throughout the season is as I described in my post above. Keep in mind that there are almost certainly vastly more occasional or courtesy football fans* than there are devoted followers of the sport. One can enjoy something without being fanatically interested in it. Granted, I didn’t do extensive research into this year’s team - I probably can’t name more than a handful of players on it - or their motivations, opinions and personal life. I probably didn’t have more than an hour - hour and a half’s worth of exposure to interviews, media reports, etc. per week this year. I’m still entitled to an opinion. It’s even a reasonably informed one - not doing research isn’t the same as not having any freaking idea what’s going on in general. It’s not a random or capricious opinion. I’m not even the lone voice crying out in the wilderness on this one - note the kind Dopers who ponied up the cites you were searching for out of me.
The OP asked for the basis of the negative opinions folks are espousing towards the Patriots - I ponied up my opinion and the basis of it. Evidently you disagree. No need to be snarky with me about it, though.
*A courtesy fan of anything being someone who has a friend or loved one who’s vastly into something, and who doesn’t mind whatever that something is, and follows along a little bit because it’ll make their loved one happy and possibly because they find it mildly interesting (or are willing to suck up dealing with something they think is lame for the sake of their loved one).