Perseverance rover on Mars (was: Mars lander set for Feb 18th landing)

Ingenuity suffered an interesting software bug on its sixth flight:

Ingenuity uses an “inertial measurement unit” (IMU, not so different from the motion sensors on your phone) to detect short-term movement, but the camera to correct long-range errors. This is a good system overall, since the IMU has excellent sensitivity but can drift, while the camera has less sensitivity but no drift.

The problem they encountered is that a glitch caused a frame drop. That’s not too surprising; lots of things can cause a small glitch like that. However, it messed up the timestamps for all subsequent images. The code that fuses the IMU data with the camera data needs accurate timestamps so it can predict what the camera should have been looking at for that frame. That is, it takes some previous camera data, uses the IMU to adjust that data into what the camera should be looking at, and then compares the result with what it actually captured. The difference is the IMU error, which it can fold back into its internal model.

But if the timestamps are wrong, then it throws the process off. And in this case, led to overcorrections and oscillation. Fortunately, it landed ok (in part because they don’t use the camera for the landing).

Sounds to me like a relatively easy firmware fix. This bug sounded like a relatively subtle one that probably wouldn’t show up in Earth testing unless they did so intentionally.

There’s been a couple of updates on the Mars 2020 website but nothing I felt like sharing.
Here is a summary of what Percy is gearing up to do:

Brian

It has been a while since I checked the Mars 2020 website
News:
Percy did have a successful sample collection (the 1st attempt failed)

Ingenuity has flown 13 times, but had trouble with flight 14:

The sun will be between the Earth and Mars, so while the instruments will be collecting data there will be no commands and no data sent for a while.

Brian

Some video of flight 13

Brian

Thanks for posting. That was neat to watch.

Thanks for the flight video.

Ingenuity has completed two more flights (as of Nov 19) since that one.

but… what is it doing ?
(Ie, is it taking pictures or other measurements ?)

With all the Webb coverage I’d though I would look to see what Percy is up to. Here is data on 5 sample cores in 2021:

Though based on this page it has done 7:

Brian

Its been a while, Ingenuity has now flown 21 times, its new mission is to provide recon for Percy

The delta looks promising enough that Percy is planning of doing more driving and les science to get there faster:
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/nasa-s-perseverance-rover-hightails-it-to-martian-delta

Brian

Yay ! It’s still going strong
25th flight… - 704 meters, a new record.

Percy captures a Solar eclipse: Its been done before, but this is “It’s the most zoomed-in, highest frame-rate observation of a Phobos solar eclipse ever taken from the Martian surface.”

Brian

So when are we going to get a picture of Earth obstructing the view of Venus?

What a great little video clip! Phobos is very close to Mars and orbits very fast, rising and setting twice each Martian day. I believe the video is meant to be in real time. It takes around 23 seconds to cross something less than the apparent diameter of the sun, which on Mars has an angular diameter of 0.35 degrees, so that’s about in the right ballpark.

November 7, 2047

Good day for Illudium, then.

Here is a crude simulated view, in the meantime:

Inferior planets…

Ingenuity takes picture of parachute and back shell:

Brian

Ingenuity will probably not last much longer , but even if it does nothing more it has done way more than expected:

Brian

I’m not crying over a robot. You’re crying over a robot!

This was about Spirit, but it hits the spot.