PETA poised to invade Margaritaville

The Jimmy Buffet song, Margaritaville, has the lyric:
" Smell those shrimp, they’re beginning to boil."

What’s up with that? Aren’t you supposed to boil the water first and then drop the shrimps in? This is ruining the song for me.

And I welcome the Raising Arizona reference, because it’s coming anyway.

If you want an out, you should boil the water before you drop in the shrimp but dropping in the shrimp will cause the water to temporailly to drop in temperature and stop boiling so they need to develop a good boil a second time.

Another loophole is a that “boil” is also a sensory and process description as well as an on/off state. " Smell those shrimp, they’re beginning to boil" describes what happens as the shrimp begin to cook through a boiling process. An analogous phrase would be " Smell those bakes, they’re beginning to bake."

An analogous phrase would be " Smell those cakes, they’re beginning to bake."

I hear that cakes experience a drop in temperature when they get left out in the rain.

Especially if you’ll never have that recipe again.

I always imagined a different reading of the line. The “they” is the cooks, getting ready for the lunch rush, so “they’re” beginning to boil the shrimp. The “beginning” is not about the shrimp coming up to temperature. It’s about the restaurant starting its work day.

That’s my take on it.

Is Jimmy’s front porch within sniffing distance of a restaurant?

I don’t think that I can take it. :rolleyes: