Phelps and family (WBC) to protest funerals of MN 35W bridge victims

No, it would be because God wanted to call them home! :slight_smile:

Holy god, I thought my opinion was valid when Phelps was protesting the funerals of gays, soldiers, and gay soldiers… but now he’s protesting the funerals of people killed by bridges!!! This changes everything!

Yeah, sure it is.

I wonder if Fred Phelps ever considered the possibility that God is making Americans gay because we build crappy bridges?

I’m pretty sure that he has not. No cite, though.

Here’s the thing you all don’t get about this.

Why do you imagine the Phelps church does these pickets? Of course, simple sadism is partly the reason. But the real reason is to isolate the church members from everyone else, so they can be easily controlled. Phelps’ church consists almost entirely of his children and grandchildren. He isn’t interested in converts, rather he wants the members of his cult to be hated and despised by the outside world, so they have no other friends, not even other fundamentalist whackos. Why do you think he picketed Falwell’s funeral? It has nothing to do with Falwell’s theology and everything to do with making sure that no matter where they go, his children and grandchildren are spit upon by everyone they meet.

I’ve always pictured Phelps to be like the anti-gay neighbor in American Beauty. One of these days, he’ll do the same thing the neighbor did.

Exactly. Smile. Give them flowers or a bottle of cold water and a sandwich. Cheerfully ask whatever Supreme Being(s) you follow to bless them. Whatever you do, don’t play the game as they’re expecting you to. Follow the recommendation in Matthew 5:39 and turn the other cheek. THAT is how you change minds.

And if, instad, they get pissed at you, maybe they’ll attack you and then you get to sue the pants off them.

Whenever Fred dies, we should totally have a Westboro DopeFest the weekend of the funeral. You KNOW his funeral will be on every news outlet. Wouldn’t it be great to see some signs in the background reading OG LOVES FAGS or HEY FRED: WHEN RESURRECTED, BRING PIE?

I’m surprised that this hasn’t happened, and been followed by the discovery that, lo and behold, the observational powers of the local folks make Sergeant Shultz look like Sherlock Holmes.

Crappy bridges: Making America gay since 1940.

I’m sure there’s some joke to be made here (probably involving someone or something “going down”), but my brain can’t grind it out.

Well, if all of this happened because god was pissed…how come only 5 (maybe +8) people died? You would think that god could do a better job of killing people :dubious:.

And why the hell wasn’t it the Golden Gate Bridge that collapsed? That’s a big pink cable bridge in high wind leading to one of the gayest cities on Earth and it’s on a major fault-line with mud-slides for God’s sake! Throw in a dormant volcano and a Bay Kraken and you’ve got all disasters just chomping at the bit. Sometimes I think God has gotten to where He’s just phoning it in… “Minneapolis… that’ll show those sodomites to worship those Ishtar priestesses the Andrews Sisters*! St. Smithers, take care of it!”
*The Andrews Sisters were born in Minneapolis (except for Maxine, who was born in Corleone, Sicily, with the name Vitorria Andolini)

I see the author is already banned, but this is just wrong headed. Aren’t we past calling people fags? There’s nothing wrong homosexuality in book, but there’s lots wrong with Phelps.

I suppose the Phelps clan will show up next at the mine in Montana where several people are trapped and blame that on the gay population as well.

The only holes men are supposed to go into are on women.

Ears? So they can hear you coming? Nostrils?

Mine shafts, elevators, caves, and such aren’t women.

Doesn’t Department of Public (not pubic) Works install manholes in the street for access to electrical, gas, water, and sewer systems?

Much stuff not “on” women.

Sampiro:

1. Hasty retreat
  2. Profuse apologies
    Repeat, as needed, with increasing degrees of abject submission.

If Phelps and his cronies get into real legal trouble, will the ACLU represent them?
I sure hope not!!

I want Phelps to defend himself in court!

Then to paraphrase (I think) that old saying:
“The person who has himself as a lawyer has a fool for a client.”

I’m just wondering if those WBC guys are starting to phone it in.

It used to be that they would upload a flier about hellbound fags on the same day as a catastrophe, no matter how small. We had to wait 48 hours for this one. Was it really that hard to spell Minneapolis? And their newest link “america’s Highways Lay Waste.” Capitalization aside, shouldn’t it be “america’s Highways Laid Waste?” I mean, it’s bad enough that her Highways collect potholes and shredded tires on the road, but when pavement starts actually taking shits–Well, that’s just a little slice of Armageddon right there! :eek: When shit starts coming out of the highway, that’s a good sign that you missed the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Come on, Phred! Get on the ball!! Show us you still care.

They have, several times. An openly lesbian ACLU attorney is working with them now, in fact.

[The Late Molly Ivins {soon to be a major trickster goddess near you}]: “The ACLU is one of the most important and vital organizations in America even if they do have all the popularity and concern for image as a sick cheap whore trying to enroll at the SMU School of Divinity.”[/The Late Molly Ivins {soon to be a major trickster goddess near you}]: