Phil Hartman Appreciation

How about Phil as Barbara Bush on the Pat Stevens Show:

PAT: You must be so proud of your son!
BARBARA (offended): George is my HUSBAND!!

I still remember the day I heard the news. Mr. S was laying tile in our “back room.” Still think of Phil when I look at that tile. We named two pets after him (Phil the kitten, also RIP :frowning: , and Phyllis the Wonder Springer).

I’ve been watching SNL: Best Of Phil Hartman while I’ve been sick for the last few days. The Clinton McDonald’s skit, the Sinatra with Sinead O’Connor, and some Caveman Lawyer is on it.

I agree with those of you who say that his death was the only celebrity death that really touched you. My mom still says, “Ohh… Phil Hartman” in a really sad voice whenever there’s a Troy McLure moment on The Simpsons.

I have to say that the Troy McClure bit where he was at the beef factory was probably one of the 10 funniest Simpson moments ever.

What about the skit where he played a host on some sort of talk show with young male actors as guests? I think Jason Priestley was the only real one. Phil would use the word “sassy” in as many different ways as he could when the actors were rude.

“I smell sassy!”
“You’re the captain of the SS Sassy!”
“S-A-double-S-Y!”

I found that extremely funny. I also enjoyed the SInatra skit. There was another time when he played Sinatra that I really loved. He showed up at the “Reagan White House” and pretended to be a pizza delivery man for Nancy. The two (Phil and Jan Hooks?) proceeded to romp on the bed which shook the ceiling in the Oval Office below. What put me over the top was Phil as Sinatra shouting “Start spreading the news!” when throwing her on the bed.

“She gave me several options.”

The credit card commercial he did with Roseanne still makes me laugh until I cry.

I was at my mother’s house, in a flu medicine-enduced stupor when I saw the news. I thought I was hallucinating. I HOPED I was hallucinating.

On the SNL 25th anniversary special they had moments for all the dead people. Farley and Belushi and Radner all had one or two people come out and speak warmly for a minute or two, for Hartman like 20 people were on stage and they all were weeping.

My personal favorite bit of his was Captain Carl on Pee Wee Herman’s original special.

“Captain Carl, did you remember to wash your hands?”

Shoves hands into Pee-Wee’s face “NOOOO!”

[singing] I hate every ape I see / From chimpan-A to chimpan-Zee…[/singing]

Phil who?

You might remember him.

…From such dates as last nights dinner.

“First of all, it’s pronounced Evilyn.”

The seriousness with which he says it.

“My first question is what does Lisa look like naked, and my second is what does Lisa feel like naked.”
Being something of a Maura Tierney fan, this resonates.

Don’t let the name fool you! It’s not really a floor, it’s more of a loose grating that allows blood and other fluids to pass through.

“Why, Lisa? Why would she…french her daddy?”

I remember the day at work when one of my co-workers returned from lunch telling us she just heard on the radio that Phil Hartman was murdered. She was kind of a joker, so we were all sure she was having us on at first. When we found it was really true, the whole office was depressed the rest of the day. When we heard it was his psycho wife who was responsible, we were gobsmacked.

I miss him, too. I remember Jay Leno talking about it and how sick he was of all the drugs and violence so prevalent in people’s personal lives. He talked about how angry he was that he’d never hear Phil calling him on the phone and saying “Oh, Jaaay . . .” in his best Jack Benny voice.

From The Simpsons, of course:

Lionel Hutz: Your Honor, I’d like to move for one of those… bad-court thingies.
Judge: You mean a mistrial?
Lionel Hutz (brightly): Yeah! That’s why you’re the judge, and I’m the… law-talkin’ dude.

Works on contigency? No, money down!

From So I Married An Axe Murderer: