Photo problem I need to solve.

Picture sizing… ???

I have six different pictures. I want to copy a part of each picture centered on a particular spot and have the pictures be 2" square. The spots are not in the center of the pictures, but all over the place.

I can’t pull out or drag out a square by trying to watch the counter of pixels or what ever measurement I’m using and consistently get exactly the size I want much less have the target in the exact center.

Is there a photo program that will let me drag a box of a size I determine and place it in the spot I want to copy so I can have a row of different pictures exactly all the same physical size (say 2 inches) no matter the actual scale of the original pictures I am using?

Do you understand what I am wanting to do?

Know of any (free would be nice) photo program that will do this?

I can’t do it in Irfanview, Lview, Gimp, Paint, or any other program I know of. Will Photoshop do it?

Any ideas or information?

Photoshop will do it very easily, not sure how easy it is with other programs

Using Photoshop Elements, select the cropping tool. You then set your parameters, in your case 2" x 2" at whatever resolution you want. You’ll put these parameters in the spaces for them in the bar just above the PS desktop, on the left. (Circled in red.)

Now when you go to crop one and all of your pictures, the cropping will be constrained to a 2" square. You can adjust the size of the square, make it larger (to make your subject image smaller in the space), or smaller, so your target image is larger in relation to the final size of the square.

I don’t know if Picasa will do it but it’s free so might be worth a try.

Cool information folks, Thanks.

Now I know it can be done, I have hope.

jeez, do I want 7, CS4, Cs2 ???

Opinions please…

Yeah, you might give Picasa a try—the collage tool lets you resize, rotate, put on top/bottom and move each of the images you’ve chosen for the collage. It’s a pretty nifty tool.

I have Photoshop Elements 7; I believe 8 has just come out. It’s somewhere in the $80 range. Full Photoshop is hundreds of dollars and definitely the industry leader but overkill unless you’re a fairly serious photo editor. I am an avid amateur photographer but do not publish or sell my work (except on my personal web site), and I have found Elements to be very powerful and a great value for the price.

It actually appears that the GIMP (version 2.6) can do exactly the same thing that postcards suggests, albeit being slightly more complicated: You’ll have to do the resolution math in your head (but how hard is multiplying by 2?), but that’s about it.

Click the crop tool, click the Fixed checkbox, select Size in the dropdown, and then type the size in pixels in the box beside it (separating them with x). Click and drag on the image, and you’ll see a box. When it’s in the right place, release the mouse, and click inside the box again. Voila! Your image has been cropped to the size you specified. Rince and repeat on all your other images.

The only problem I can foresee is that you might want to zoom in or out on the pictures before making the crop. You’d have to recalculate the box size every time, and/or scale the image to the resolution you want to print. (You could change the resolution itself but not everyone has programs that are resolution-aware.) But other than mentally multiplying the resolution by two, you’d also have to do all that if you used Photoshop, I think.

Therefore, it seems that either the GIMP can do what you want, or postcards’s solution is not quite the one you need.

I may not understand the original problem, but when I first read it, I immediately thought of using the guides in GIMP.

Here is what I did.

1. Started a new image at 1000x1000 pixels.

2. Dragged 4 guides from the top and left edges to make a 2"x2" square, somewhere near the middle of the canvas.

3. Opened the first picture and dragged it into my empty image.

4. Moved the copied layer around until what I wanted to capture was inside the 2"x2" square made by the grid lines.

5. On the View menu, made sure “Snap to Guides” has a check mark.

6. Selected the Rectangle Select tool and drew the selection from one corner of the 2"x2" box to the diagonally opposite corner.

7. Copied the selection and pasted it into a new image.

8. Returned to the 1000x1000 image and deleted the picture layer to prepare for the next picture.

9. Repeated Steps 3 through 8.

This gave me several pictures that are 2"x2", but again, I may not have understood all you are trying to achieve.