Picky eaters...

My family’s rule growing up was that you have to try it (only a bite) before you decide if you like it or not. As a result, I’ve tried lots of different and exotic foods, loved some (sushi! yumm!) and disliked others (jellyfish…not a fan). But I have a pretty open mind and eclectic pallate.

What annoys me about picky eaters is when they say they don’t like something before trying it, because it doesn’t “sound good”. I had a friend in college who lived in NYC until he was 7, but had never had cheesecake because the thought of a cake made out of cheese didn’t appeal to him. Whaaaa? He was denying himself one of the greatest food experiences of life because of an assumption?!

Even if you’ve tried a food, and didn’t enjoy it, I still think you should try it again when it is served (again, one bite will do). Maybe the reason you didn’t like it before was because it was prepared differently, or not cooked right. Maybe your tastes have changed. Maybe you were mistaken.

Not trying something before you decide if you like it strikes me as ignorant and prejudicial, and being adamant about all the foods you won’t eat strikes me as self-righteous. Those things annoy me.

ETA: If you have an allergy, or gross physical reaction, then I will accept your decision to not eat the food, and will feel pity for your sad, weakened, stomach.

Well that’s nothing to do with food preferences. That’s just bad manners and self entitlement being expressed through food preferences. And unfortunately there will always be people who don’t know how to behave politely.

I was a picky eater as a kid. Now, I’ll eat whatever’s put in front of me, and I like lots and lots of stuff. Because I have picky kids now, I’ve been pondering when and where the change occurred.

I think the short answer is mockery. I went on a ski trip for a week with another family when I was 12. A week is too long to hide pickiness and the mother of the family openly mocked me and made it very clear she considered me a pain in the ass. Not my favorite person, but I have to admit, I forced myself a little more after that.

And then when I first arrived at college, peers mocked me, especially guys, whose good opinion I desired, so I really started expanding my repertoire. Which is a good thing, because I went on my first date with the man who would become my husband sophomore year and it was to a sushi place, which was my first sushi ever, though I didn’t tell him that. Later, he told me something like… I’m so glad you like sushi, because I could never go out with someone who didn’t like sushi or was picky eater.

This might be a cultural thing, and the cultures you are currently exposed to – in the US it’s hardly uncommon for people to not eat red meat for health or ethical reasons… to Russians this is considered a form of psychosis, according to one of my Russian, vegetarian friends.

Although, this attitude is also very common in the South, where a vegetarian dish is one that “doesn’t have much bacon.”

For me it’s seafood. Crab, lobster or fish.

Honest. I really don’t like it.

I’ll try it now and again to see if a different preperation or local will help. Not yet. I’ll even cook it for my Wife (though the smell tends to put me off my meal).

Not a cultural thing for me—everyone in my family loves it. I really have no idea how I grew to hate it. I’ve always been this way, and it makes no sense considering the environment I grew up in. It’s embarrassing as hell.

Like I said, just change your attitude toward the picky eaters. Assume an allergy or IBS and everyone can go on with their lives in peace.

As a kid, I was a very picky eater. I did start trying more foods in my 20’s, and now I’m just a picky eater.

I think part of the problem is that we don’t all perceive foods the same way, and it’s hard to relate to those whose perceptions are different. I often hear non-picky eaters talk about disliking certain foods, but eating them anyway. Yeah, there are some thinks I don’t like, or even dislike, that I can eat. But there are also foods I DETEST, and cannot eat without suffering. Some things (e.g. custardy desserts, whipped cream) actually make me gag. I don’t think non-picky eaters can easily understand this, because they just don’t have that type of sensation.

Now, I have a certain willingness to try something strange to me, but it only goes so far. For one thing, I’m in my 50’s, and I’ve been exposed to lots of foods over the years and have a damn good sense of what MY tastes are. So sometimes, just knowing the ingredients can tell me I don’t want to eat something. Example: green peppers. I HATE the flavor, and it permeates anything cooked with it. I can pick them off of a pizza and eat it, though I won’t enjoy it because every bite tastes of it. But I can guarantee you, no matter how much YOU doubt it, that there is no way to prepare green peppers such that I won’t dislike or detest it.

Often the aroma of a food tells me I don’t want to eat it. When I was a kid, I didn’t want to eat squash because it smelled so awful. My parents insisted that I couldn’t tell by smelling, I had to actually taste it. They were wrong. It tasted just as awful as it smelled. Furthermore, in school we learned that pure taste has four simple categories, and that aroma is a significant portion of the flavor of foods. So I figured that either my parents were stupid, not knowing what kids learn in 4th grade, or were lying to me. But I learned not to trust their pronouncements about food.

Some foods are offensive because of texture (custard), some because of taste and/or smell (which are really inseparable), some both. But those which are offensive are offensive enough that I would rather go hungry than eat them. The best parallel I can think of is certain odors - while most non-smokers don’t like the smell of smoke, some are actually sickened by it. Likewise with perfumes - take a given perfume, and some like it, some don’t, some are sickened.

To further illustrate the complexity here, I quite like some foods that many people don’t. I like liver, I like anchovies on pizza, I like broccoli. Naturally different people have different tastes, but I think it comes down to “normal” eater dislikes some things, picky eater simply cannot stand some things.

Pronouncements like these don’t help:

“Even if you’ve tried a food, and didn’t enjoy it, I still think you should try it again when it is served (again, one bite will do). Maybe the reason you didn’t like it before was because it was prepared differently, or not cooked right. Maybe your tastes have changed. Maybe you were mistaken.”

Maybe, sometimes. But friend, I will not try squash, no matter what you think. My life experience has proven to me that I will detest it. I’m not going to submit to the suffering of trying it (and yes, I will suffer with even one bite) to satisfy you. Maybe you should try hitting your thumb with a hammer again because you didn’t do it right last time.

“Not trying something before you decide if you like it strikes me as ignorant and prejudicial, and being adamant about all the foods you won’t eat strikes me as self-righteous. Those things annoy me.”

Not nearly as much as it annoys me to take a bite of something I detest, nor to have someone who has no concept of what it tastes like to me to judge me on the matter. Talk about self-righteous.

So far, I think all the “picky” eaters here are really reasonable - it doesn’t sound like anyone’s a jerk about their food choices. In fact, you’re all almost too reasonable - where’s the room for argument, the “I’m not eating that crap!!?!” I’m heartily disappointed at the lack of argument. :wink:

Just kidding - though I would like to find out how the above-referenced jackass picky eaters think, but I suspect it has more to do with being a self-centered, entitled schmuck than anything else.

For the record, I’m not too picky - I’ll eat anything with the exception of brussels sprouts (what is it about them??), uncooked egg yolk, cooked carrots and plain ricotta. Since most of these foods aren’t in any of the stuff I or my friends and family regularly eat, or if they are, they’re well mixed in with the exception of the brussles sprouts which are hard to hide, it’s never been a problem.

I have had my taste buds go wack in the last 8 years. Some times I can eat almost anything and at other times the taste of most stuff is sickening. I’ve been able to eat stuff that grossed me out for years, and hat things I ate since a kid. Everybody tastes stuff differently, and I think many that don’t like stuff they tried really can’t stand the taste in any way. I always was amazed that some people could ever keep down certain foods, they were so disgusting. The worst point for me was when meat all tasted like it had sugar dumped on it. I could only stand bread, dairy and juices at that point. I still barely eat most spiced and salty things like snack chips. Why can’t you credit persons having different enough taste sensations from you that they can’t stand the taste. Because you taste something and love it doesn’t mean it won’t be nauseous to others. This is separate from the persons that plain never try anything.

I’ve got a fun one for you: mashed potatoes.

I had them three times. Its like pre-chewed french fries to me. That, of course, puts me off. Just gimme the french fries!

I’ll try pretty much anything once. And if you invite me over to your house, I’ll eat a few bites (at least) of everything that you serve me and then mutter something like “that _________ was delicious. sigh I’m on a stupid diet. I wish I could have more.” I can usually find something on a menu that I’ll probably like - but I tend to stick to “safe” foods at restaurants because paying for something I probably will end up picking at seems very, very wasteful (of both money and perfectly good, if nasty tasting, food). If I’m not eating very much, don’t worry about it. Look at me, I’m obviously not going to waste away into nothing by having a small meal right now.

But many foods that other people seem to like, even love, are unpleasant to me. I don’t like the smells of some of them. I don’t like the flavor of some. I don’t like the texture of some. With certain foods, it’s a combination of smell/flavor/texture.

Sometimes foods in combination don’t work for me. The same way that green stripes are fine, and blue polkadots are fine, and plaids with red are fine, and yellow gingham is fine, but wearing them all together at once is usually a fashion mistake? To me, many foods taste like that looks, or like playing 8 different songs with different keys, rhythms, tones, and musical genres all at once sounds.

For anyone who is wondering, I was raised by very adventurous eaters who ate (and served) a wide variety of foods from many different cultures. Both my parents were good to very good cooks. My siblings are not picky eaters, just me.

Oh, and the “try one bite” thing… I probably will. But if it’s a flavor that lingers, it ruins the rest of the meal, including the things that I would have liked, had I not had whatever in my mouth.

I think I’m a little picky. I tend toward blander, simpler foods because most strong smells and tastes are turn-offs to me. Also, my stomach is sensitive to dairy and spicy foods, so I almost never those kinds of dishes. The result is I don’t often experiment or try new things just for the sake of trying new things. I don’t make my preferences anyone’s problem, though, so I can’t imagine why anyone would have a problem with my eating habits, aside general principle.

I can see why picky eaters can be annoying, but in fairness, it needs to be said that food lovers can be annoying as well. If I’m not loudly refusing or insulting food you cooked for me, or making you tailor your recipe to suit my preferences, then you don’t need to announce how you eat anything and how wonderful the food is and that you can’t believe anyone wouldn’t like it. We’ve had threads in the past where people would proclaim in all seriousness that milk is a child’s drink and no sophisticated adult would order it, ever, and that Miracle Whip is Satan’s jizz, and that putting ketchup on hot dogs should be punishable by death. I find those people just as intolerable as this guy I know who disparages anything that’s not a McDonald’s cheeseburger. If the sight of someone who doesn’t eat peas quietly piling them in the corner of their plate is that offensive to you, then maybe you should spend less time looking at other people’s plates.

That said, I feel sorry for people who need to cook for picky eaters. You have to endure comments and disgusted looks; if they’re not assholes, you still have to deal with them picking out the stuff they don’t want to eat. Frankly, if I were the OP, I’d cook for myself. The boyfriend is capable of finding his own food.

Why the hate for bussels sprouts? This makes me sad.

There is no right or wrong answer about eating choices, for example, I won’t eat crab or lobster…yes I have tried both, and it was ok. But I can’t get past the fact that they look like the land version of a spider and a roach.

I have a friend whose relative purposely tricked her into eating something she was allergic to in order to prove it was all in her head. We’ve had threads where others have had similar experiences. There’s no accounting for the thought processes of some people.

A couple of months back, my roommate was making pasta for dinner and offered some to me. Great, I thought. She asked me “Should it be angel hair pasta or bowtie pasta?” I said “Angel Hair.” She replied with, “Oh yeah, I forgot you were so picky.” :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, how dare I choose one of the options presented to me when she obviously had the other in mind. Yeah, I tend to be a pickier eater than most, but I don’t see how that anything to do with anything.

A lot of people consider me picky because I like a lot of things plain. I don’t make a scene out of it or anything, I just generally prefer something plain to having it all fancied up. Just a preference. Oh, and I don’t like Mexican food. You’d be amazed at how much people think I’m a freak for that. When talking with my mom, she was able to narrow it down to a single spice that’s in a crapload of Mexican stuff that I don’t like. No wonder it all tasted the same to me. I can’t remember what it is, though.

**Gravitycrash **why so sad? If we’re not eating them then there’s all the more for you. :slight_smile:

Well, there are a variety of different “picky eaters.” I’m really only annoyed by the obnoxious ones who bitch and moan about what I’m eating, giving me disgusted looks as I enjoy my food, or loudly opine that x tastes like a sheep’s ass (I’m looking at you, sis). I’m also annoyed by those who don’t want to try anything outside their comfort zone (that would be you, BF). If the sight/smell of a particular food triggers your gag reflex, fine. But if you’re reading a menu and say, “This dish sounds disgusting” just because you’ve never had it, then I think that’s a shame.

As for different tastes, I understand that. I like liverwurst, and except for a few family members, most people are grossed out even by the name. If the taste of tomatoes revolts you, then I just feel sorry for you that your taste buds don’t experience it the same way mine do, because I think a tomato is a little slice of heaven. I just hope you have something that tastes as good to you as tomatoes do to me.

Forgot to add:

About the cooking, I really enjoy cooking for people. It makes me happy when I take the time to make something that someone else will enjoy. Not just because I like to have the ego boost (why yes, my hummus does kick ass, thanks for saying so) but also because I think it makes the other person happy knowing I spent so much time preparing a meal just for them. It gets frustrating when I have to change recipes or avoid certain foods altogether. The BF is good about it, though, he’ll usually pick out what he doesn’t like if I’ve forgotten or didn’t think to ask if he liked it. It’s just his unwillingness to try stuff that actually irritates me.

As for brussels sprouts, I’ve tried them twice. Once, when I was maybe 13, and they had a very bitter taste that reminded me of a medicine I’d recently taken. Then, just the other day I tried one at my parent’s house. Not as bad as I remembered, maybe the first time they weren’t cooked right, but still not a flavor I enjoyed. So, Gravitycrash, you can have my brussels sprouts if I can have your asparagus.

They really do that? That’s just rude.

Ask your sister how often she has had sheep’s ass. And if it was prepared properly. It’s probably a delicacy somewhere.