Pillars of Eternity official thread!

Another improvement is that they finally worked out the technology to allow a person to talk to a storekeeper or barkeep without coming to the other side of the counter.

I’m starting again with a Chanter, with high Int and Res. The Con being recommended seems to be based on the fact that they get hosed on Hit Points. It’s not core to their concept so far as I can tell. In any case, the Chanter did much better against the Bandits in the woods than the Rogue I tried earlier. You can keep chanting as you run away until you can summon your spirit.

And for whoever is closest to the lootpile to go and pick it up when you’ve got the entire party selected instead of having CHARNAME trek all over the place and back again and oops, you have no space left for that one gem, better go back to the group to fill up their packs before coming back to the corpse !

I broke down and got the game; it’s installing now. Any advice for playing a Monk? I was thinking Cipher, but since there’s a Cipher companion, I thought about changing it up. Would talking to people be any use, or should I basically ignore diplomacy?

Usually I like resolving things with cunning and resolving things without violence, but it might be nice to save that for a second game.

Talking to people is important, if you care about story and roleplaying and such. I’m pretty sure it’ll play fine if you want to powergame and ignore it too. Note that “diplomacy” isn’t its own skill the way you might expect; rather, there are additional conversations opened up by the main character’s stats, background, class, or Cipher-ness. These options are very specifically not “the best” option for every single conversation, but rather they give you some additional flexibility to form your 18 intelligence character into someone who takes the “smart” approach to situations, for example.

I know absolutely nothing about monks because they’re one of the classes where you don’t get a companion of that class, and I’m not playing one. Hitting things is always fun though, right?

Speaking of “diplomacy”, I’m really glad I have 14+ Resolution for the conversation options it gives me - had no idea during character generation so was just lucky, but loving all the bad-ass “don’t give me any shit” lines it allows.

Also got my first “since you are so [Stoic 2], let me share this secret with you”. Loved it! Can’t wait for some evil bastard to sneer at my Benevolence next or something.

So I’m playing a cipher, and I can’t figure this out – how do I activate the cipher’s mind whip? It doesn’t appear in the list of cipher spells when I hover over the character icon in the game during combat.

Help, I’m dumb. :frowning:

^^^Oops, I meant soul whip.

Seems to only display the names of NPC’s and such when you do this.

BG2 highlighted lootable containers when doing this. Wish there was a way to turn it on.

I’ve been using the IE Mod. It has some UI tweaks and a few other things. I like it.

My monk (ended up Folk because Aumaua or too ugly) is either awesome or dead. I get some flashbacks to CoH Scrappers.

It does on my system - blue when there’s something in the container, dull grey if the container’s empty.

As Kobal2 says, it does highlight them. Also you can go to Options and set a key to toggle it on/off if you want.

Alright. I just defeated Raedric, and the game is over until they fix the “Can’t Leave the Castle” bug.

Finally got a couple of days on the weekend to play, and probably the developers are also enjoying their weekends.

Phew. Well, it looks like there’s a work-around. You have to open the saved file in 7zip and delete the state file and fog layer of the area that’s crashing on you. For me it was the exterior of the castle, so now all those people I killed getting in are back, only now they’re not trying to stop me.

Supposedly this fix won’t affect getting achievements, as the console fix might. Of course, I have no idea why I haven’t gotten the Kickstarter Backer achievement to begin with.

Have you seen these achievements? These are not bullshit achievements. Complete the game without companions? Complete the game without anyone ever running out of endurance? Fewer than 10 rests?

Hmm. I also didn’t get an achievement for hiring an adventurer. It looks like it just doesn’t give achievements at all. Hopefully that’ll be fixed before I accomplish something difficult.

PSA: Double-clicking to equip stuff permanently erases your passive buffs.

Oh-kay. I hope they fix that soon.

That’s gotta be one of the weirdest bugs I’ve ever seen.

Okay, already, I bought it. I’ve been kicking myself for not getting in on the Kickstarter, and the special price on GMG is too good to pass up. Now I just need to let it download while I get some work done.

Nostalgic gaming goodness, here I come!

Seems like there are a few nasty bugs at this point. Which means I should feel really good about doing a bit of poking about the start area to check out characters, and then start for real post-patch. Yay!

If you don’t use double-click to equip items and keep a few different saves you should be fine. I haven’t hit any other bugs than that and two graphical glitches in takes a look at Steam uhh … 21 hours. Wait, 21 hours!? :eek:

Note that you do need to enter sneak mode (alt) to find hidden objects and traps. I don’t really like the mechanic, but I guess it’s akin to “active search” in D&D.

I was confused too. If you look at the combat log, it’s a pseudo-passive. Your cipher auto-activates it in combat, and auto-deactivates it at max focus (and reactivates it below max focus). This does mean you want to stay below max focus because you lose your soul whip buffs when it’s turned off at max.

Edit: Another bug. As a cipher do not equip the Drinking Horn of Moderation, it kills focus generation and persists through saves.

I’m enjoying this game, but does anyone else find the maps very dark?

I know, fog of war, but the area maps seem to include the ambient lighting, so at night or indoors they are almost useless.