Pillars of Eternity official thread!

Unlocked yes!

Installing…please wait… NO!

If you’re going to get it, GMG has it for $33 for the normal edition. If you’re determined to pay $45, you can also upgrade to the next tier (royal addition) for the same price you’d pay elsewhere there.

Not for me, sale seems to have ended.

E: Oh, nm, I logged in and it took me away from the VIP link.

Yeah, I should’ve mentioned that you need to be logged in to use that link. I’m not sure how they do it, but GMG often has 20-30% discounts on preorder and brand new games. Notably GTA 5 is on there too for 25% off.

Just noticed this is another paradox-published game. Man I hope these recent huge successes allow them to grow, because the video game publishing industries is one of the shittiest industries on the planet, and Paradox is one of the few good guys. They seem to be on the leading edge of reviving non-dumbed-down-non-consolified old school PC games.

ARrrgggh! I actually looked there, but I must not have been logged in. Bought it for $45 from Steam :frowning:

I didn’t have any strong assumptions about what the game would be like, but I am surprised at how closely it reproduces the feel of the Infinity Engine games. One difference is of incalculable importance because it has been a glaring, infuriating flaw I have been dealing with for nearly twenty goddamned years – finally, you can switch quickly between dual-wielding or sword-and-board and a two-handed ranged weapon. Holy shit, why did this take so long?

Say, where are people getting all this info on current game sales figures?

My two hour verdict: This… is fun, if you’re even vaguely an RPG type person. If anyone’s on the fence, they should probably get it.

I found pressing “D” for fast mode to be far more awesome fix, but multiple weapon sets is nice too. Love it when game doesn’t use nostalgia as an excuse to have crappy ancient mechanics nobody really wants back.

Played 8 hours of this with almost no breaks. Both my neck and back are going to be so sore tomorrow. :frowning:

My two hour verdict is i can’t get out of the first area because i keep making new characters. I am paralyzed with indecision.

I really appreciate that this game, and also Dragon Age: Inquisition, do distances now in meters. But there seems to be no way to gauge distance in the game, so how do I know if I’m at the 2 meter range needed for a backstab?

I rolled a cipher and a chanter. Chanter is cool, but I wasn’t really feeling it. It’s probably the best permutation of the Bard class I’ve ever seen, though. A bunch of passive party buffs and some really powerful spells and summons. The only issue is they take a bit to get going and combat can be over (one way or the other) by the time they start to ramp up.

Cipher is just amazing, it eats everything. It’s basically the Arcane Warrior/Spellsword class idea, with the flavor of a Psionic. It is a tad squishy, though. I think ranged is probably the best option with them, though. Guns seem to work better compared to melee unless you have some serious defensive buffs on you.

It seems like since Diplomacy isn’t a skill, Resolve (Charisma) sort of takes its place. I ended up building 14 resolve on my cipher just because that seems to be the baseline for a lot of dialogue options. Not the most min-maxy choice, but I like how it’s going.

I’m likin’ my Godlike druid so far. Not a whole bunch of Druidy subtlety in my repertoire so far. Turn into wolf, rip heads off. :slight_smile:

But once I start getting a good companion group built, we’ll dig deeper in the toy box.

I ended up going Wood Elf Ranger with bow. Stuck with the familiar I guess, at least for my first playthrough. Got a faithful wolf companion and so long as we’re teaming up against an opponent, we’re a wrecking crew.

Still in the first tutorial dungeon though, must play some more!

Yeah. We were pretty stoked.

I had no idea that the game would do so well with critics. Right now we are sitting at a 92 on Metacritic, but I was expecting something closer to the mid-eighties. I am glad that the reviewers are enjoying the game as much as they are, but I wasn’t expecting it.

No time to rest, though. We are working on a patch for some issues that people are reporting. Hoping to have that out next week.

Divinity: Original Sin is at 87 and as much fun as I’ve had with that game, PoE is clearly better. Only thing D:OS does unarguably better is the co-op option. It had a rather weak story though and from the reviews I’ve read and the few hours I’ve played so far I’m expecting PoE to do a lot better in that department.

That’s my feeling as well - that’s what I’d rolled first as I like Bards and wanted a character that could talk rings around people, but in practice it didn’t really “click”. I picked the “summon 3 skellies” finisher, which looks suitably powerful on paper but in practice after 3 rounds of chanting and 1 round of casting there’s not much left alive for the skellies to hit or distract. I guess maybe things change later with a full party (and tons of mooks to kill) but… eh.

That said, I literally laughed out loud at the tutorial “your skills/stats can influence dialogue” thing with the barbarian chief holding the thief hostage. With his super high Lore my NotBard proceeded to deconstruct his motivations and demonstrate that he didn’t understand the finer points of his own god’s theology.
Yep, that’s me. The adventuring powernerd, meeting evil with blade and **cite **!

Still don’t know what I’m rolling with, as my second character (a paladin of the aggressive/intimidating order) just got crushed by wolves in true Baldur’s Gate fashion, and, well, Ironman.

Should I roll with the option to have dialogue options I don’t qualify for displayed, or turn that off?

Also, DEFINITELY pick up extra adventurers to fill in your ranks as soon as you are able to (The first inn), specially if you plan on exploring the ruins of the temple in the first town.

So, is there a “highlight clickables” key? My RPG OCD has me systematically scanning the map with the pointer, in case I missed something :wink:

Personally I turned those off because I *already *suffer from Rerollitis thankyouverymuch :).

But I turned on the “which answer points to which disposition” because it matters for some classes, and I remember both NWN2 and Planescape having some dodgy decisions on the alignment front.

Besides, the whole thing seems like it could be kind of fuzzy and/or arbitrary - if I stumble upon a thug about to punch up an unarmed peasant and I rush to help him is that Aggressive (because it leads to fighting), or Benevolent (because I’m trying to help) or Passionate (because I reacted strongly to a stimuli) or Cruel (because I didn’t blink before killing a man over a 3 copper purse) or… in a tabletop setting you can explain why you’re doing the things you do but in a vidyagame, not so much.

Tab, same as the Infinity Engine games.