Pit Rules, Revisited

I think it is cruel and unusual punishment to even suggest the possibility of taking Carol’s dick and sticking it in a Congressional Representative. You never know where that Congressional Representative’s ass has been.

Perhaps not the letter of the law, but if this doesn’t violate the spirit of Ed’s rule then I don’t know what does.

You’re kidding, right? The stated purpose of the law is to force people to be more creative. Ed tied himself into knots explaining that the point of the new rule wasn’t to stop people from using dirty words, it was to stop people from using dirty words as a crutch.

Violating the spirit of the law without breaking the letter would be something like “And you know what else? I can’t stand that Burnett woman. Fuck you, Carol!”

ETA: That’s just an example, of course. I could probably care less about Carol Stream, but I wouldn’t want to strain myself. As such, I posted the above simply as an example of how to tweak Ed’s rules.

I thought the stated purpose of the law was to keep Ed from getting his ass chewed by his company’s marketing people. Of course, it wouldn’t surprise me if someone once spun it as nurturing our creative talents.

No it isn’t. Unless, of course, you’re so thin-skinned that that someone could read a newspaper right through you. You weren’t called ANYTHING that I can see in that post, it’s STILL funny and we all gotta wait for a response from TPTB anyways so get a grip for once.

Sorry, Xploder–you’re my bud and I think Carol is possibly the…um…single most abrasive* poster on the SDMB at the moment, but this (to me) is exactly the sort of Rules-Weaseling/magic-wording that I was griping about in the Liberal thread.

Fine–someone made a construction that technically didn’t violate the “No ‘fuck you’ rule” (and when did it become “Fuck You”? During-“Ed-gate”, it the rule was "You can’t say “Fuck off and die” 'cause that was a threat :rolleyes: wasn’t it? ) but is there any doubt what the poster means? ANY doubt at all? The fact that he cleverly managed to change the words to get away with rule breaking doesn’t change the fact that he’s certainly violating the spirit of the rule, while adhering to the letter.

Please don’t take this as an endorsement of Miss Stream. As I said, I don’t like her. It’s just that the “Nyahh. Can’t touch me 'cause I didn’t quuuiiiiiiite cross the line” thing annoys me more.

*I think that’s ATMB ok

I just don’t get your point, Fenris. You think you can eliminate rules-lawyering? If there’s a rule, there’s gonna be lawyers.

The answser that I gave Carol Stream was:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=11232276&postcount=42 (**Carol **wanted an explanation for why “cunt” is on the list, but “prick” is not. This was Ed’s response.)

1. For reasons I’ve given elsewhere,

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=11221820&postcount=171

I’ve said elsewhere that I’m not enforcing the spirit of the rule–only its text; that I’m not adding stuff to it; and that I’d be taking a strict constructionist approach. The Pit rules do not ban all insults or nasty suggestions.

1. Carol took advantage of this interpretive approach when she called another poster a “dumb snatch,” here: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=11356243#post11356243

It annoys me too. Of course, it’s still possible to violate other board or Pit rules while staying this side of the line on one. But with these rules especially, the line needs to be as clear as possible. There’s always going to be some edge play. The “intended meaning” approach would also prevent the use of euphemisms, and also your “single most abrasive” comment in the post preceding this one, even in the Pit. Because, after all, I know what you think of Carol, right? :wink: I’m not willing to start reading minds in connection with this rule.

At any rate, maybe Ed will disagree with my ruling. I’ve already hashed this out with **Carol Stream **in PMs, so I’m not interested in repeating the exercise on a Sunday morning.

No–you can’t, but you can smack down the people who get RIGHT up to the line and say “Nyahh–I’m not crossing it. You can’t touch me.”

If the rule is “Fuck is a naughty word. Don’t say it”, then the post violates the rule. If the point of the rule is “Don’t imply that someone have intercourse” then it violates the rule. If the point of the rule is "Only the exact phrases “fuck you”, “go fuck yourself” and “fuck off” are banished then well…ok. but that makes no sense and there are thousands of varients that are now allowed and what’s the point.

I’d ditch the stupid rule if it were up to me though.

Hey G

Thanks for the explanation! Once again, you rock. :smiley:

Sorry bud, “As a matter of fact, I just wrote letters to my Congresswoman/Senators and told them that if they didn’t raise your taxes, I’d fuck them in the ass with your dick.”, is NOT saying “fuck you” in any way shape or form. I don’t really see where this could even be considered as weasleing around the rules. And, for the record, I totally agree with your last paragraph.

on review: damn I need to start finishing the stupid thread before responding

This is well put. To avoid endless controversy, we strictly interpret this rule. The poster is talking about fucking off-board individuals. That may be nasty, but it’s not against the rules. Carol Stream’s privy member, if s/he has one, is to be somehow used for this purpose. To me this seems more ridiculous than nasty, but in any case it’s not against the rules either. If the suggestion were made that Carol Stream should be the object of the aforesaid fucking, THAT would be against the rules.

The above is not meant to be an invitation to come up with ever more ingenious euphemisms/synonyms, impossible sexual acts, etc. While we admire creativity as much as the next bunch of tyrannical board moderators, if we get the idea you are playing games with the rules or otherwise jerking us around, we reserve the right to take appropriate steps.

What makes this hilarious is that you are the guy who took “mop the floor with your ass” as a physical threat. So if anyone knows about ridiculous rule stuff, that would be you.

You.kill.me. Wait, can I say that?

So then the line becomes “I wasn’t RIGHT up to the line, which is X, as explained here [cites precedent for what “RIGHT up to the line” means], but I only went to Y, which as [cites another set of cases and precedents, again at tedious length] shows is OK–so NYAHH-NYAHH.”

In case there isn’t anyone who has heard the phrase before, there is a vulgar saying which goes like this: “I wouldn’t fuck her with your dick”. I have heard chicks say it “I wouldn’t fuck him with your pussy”. Or maybe - “I’d fuck her, with your dick”.

Anyway, the insult is on the object of the fucking (or non-fucking), not the person who posesses the borrowed dick or pussy. My perception of this particular Pit post is colored by my experience in hearing this other insult. In the post the writer has put so many layers between Carol, the fucker, and the fuckee (hypothetical letter, non-existant dick) that it’s more ridiculous than insulting. IMO. YMMV.

But you KNOW that’s gonna happen because some assmunch isn’t gonna read the whole post and then think, “Hey I can do this! Ed SAID so!!!”

Maybe you should add it to the sticky.

So fucking is ok but being fucked is not. What a male world we live in.

Anyways, I think that anything that happens after page 33 of a thread is beyond all rules.

:wipes tear from eye:
I fell part of the dope now.

Yes it is. So? People are going to be nasty to you, online and offline. That’s minor compared to some things people could say right to your face. Try having someone tell you your parents are going to Hell because the church they attend supports gay marraige for example. Though not as nasty, it’s much more personal to have a complete stranger say something like that to you, after barging into a conversation between you and your spouse. Sometimes the world is butterflies and daisies, other times it isn’t. You’ll find more daisies I’m sure. Aren’t there any roses blooming in your neighborhood? :confused:

I remember it as Ed not wanting the fainting lilies that are the girls on this board being called “cunts”.

Another illustration of just how stupid this rule is.