Pitcher Hit For Cycle?

I was watching a Devil Rays vs. Reds game the other day in which the starting pitcher for the Reds got chased early on. They brought on a rookie reliever whose pitched well, but was a real standout as a hitter. The guy hit a home run and a double in his first two at-bats. He whiffed in his third at-bat and was taken out for another reliever soon after.

So I got to wondering - has a pitcher ever hit for the cycle? If not, what is the highest number of RBIs by a pitcher in a single game?

Tom Parrott hit for the cycle in 1894. However he also played some games in the outfield and at first that year so I cannot say for sure if he was pitching that game.

Yeah, if any pitcher’s done it, he would have to be an old-timer who probably played the field regularly and pitched one day a week.

Greg Maddux has hit for the cycle over a season: a single, double, triple and homer all in the same year (1999, with the Braves) but I doubt any pitcher’s been able to do it, especially since the advent of the four- and five-man rotation.

Unlikely he was the pitcher:

http://bioproj.sabr.org/bioproj.cfm?a=v&v=l&bid=438&pid=10908

"Tom had one of his most memorable days on September 28, 1894, when he connected for the cycle in a game against the New York Giants. The very next day was memorable for less positive reasons. Due to pitch the first game of a double-header, Parrott reported for duty midway through the game. Pitching the second game instead, Parrott was about the start the second inning when, responding to a bit of encouragement from Arlie Latham, the Reds’ third baseman and captain, Parrott got in a heated argument with Latham, ultimately refusing to pitch further. He was ordered off the field and suspended for the duration of the season. The local Sporting News correspondent was fed up: “Parrott has been kindly treated by the patrons of the game in this city, and very often he did not deserve it. He wanted to be known as a clown, and in this role he was a dismal failure.”

According to that he was scheduled as the opening pitcher in the first game of a double-header the next day. I doubt the manager would have him as opening pitcher on consecutive days.

Not sure why the two questions are mutually exclusive :slight_smile: , but the record for RBI’s by a pitcher is 9 by Tony Cloninger (two grand slams and an RBI single in 5 AB’s) for Atlanta at San Francisco on July 3, 1966.

Wonder if Babe Ruth, in his pitching days, ever did it for the Red Sox?

Nope. Ruth never hit for the cycle in his career.

Parrott played 2nd base that game. He indeed hit for the cycle.

So, the search continues.

Bob Carothers of the St. Louis Browns of the American Association came close on August 16, 1886.

He had 2 homers, a triple and a double.

Snake Wiltse of the Philadelphia A’s had a game with 4 extra base hits on August 10, 1901 (2 triples, 2 doubles)

No National League pitcher has had more than 3 extra base hits in one game and none has done so since 1975.

I just looked at the list of everybody who has for the cycle. There don’t appear to be any pitches on the list.

Yeah, other than guys who made relief appearances once, I didn’t see anyone on the list either.

I really don’t think it’ll ever happen, when you consider the circumstances necessary:

1. Pitcher has to throw a CG, since he needs at least 4 ABs.
  2. Pitcher has to be in the National League.
  3. Pitcher has to be a good hitter (so basically, Mike Hampton, Jason Marquis, Tom Glavine or Greg Maddux.)
  4. Pitcher has to have decent speed to come up with the triple (so discount Maddux.)

That leaves three potential candidates that I can think of, and only Hampton has displayed anything approaching power. Marquis isn’t a bad hitter or runner (LaRussa has used him to pinch run!) and Glavine had a few pinch hits in Atlanta, so he’s got a bit of a stroke.

Just about any pitcher can get a triple with a ball hit in just the right spot, combined with less than stellar fielding.

Since hitting for the cycle is rarer than throwing a no-hitter and pitchers are almost all bad hitters, the chances of pitcher pulling off the feat are pretty steep.

That said, I wouldn’t have been surprised to find out that someone might have done it once. But I would have thought it would have been in the 19th century.

During the time of the American Association (1882-1891), only player in that league had a three home run game, and it was a pitcher, Guy Hecker of Louisville.

Day-um, that’s a good day at the plate for anyone.