Pitting college football and my local sports radio station

For the love of God. I don’t believe this.

It’s Game 6 of the World Series, and the Marlins are poised to send the Yankees back to Hell where they came from…

And the local sports radio station is broadcasting the Washington State vs Oregon State football game!

This is the same radio station that has broadcast Seattle Mariners baseball all freakin’ year. The same radio station that has broadcast every MLB playoff game during the post season. And now I have to settle for checking the MLB Web site every few minutes in order to follow Game 6 of the The World Series? The game that may be capping what has been the best post-season in recent history?

Where are your priorities, Mr. Programming Director? Major League Baseball, a professional sport, is holding its World Championship Series, and instead of broadcasting that, after teasing me with baseball on the radio for the last seven months, you instead choose to broadcast an insignificant, amateur, midseason college football game?

Good grief!

And what’s up with the people who make up the college football schedules? Major League Baseball and the National Football League are somehow able to coordinate their schedules so that World Series games don’t conflict with Monday Night Football. So why in hell can’t college football schedule its insignificant little amatuer scrimmages in the afternoon, so as not to conflict with the Championship games of Major League Baseball?

Pull your collective head out people!!!

Yes, I know that the World Series is being shown on television. I don’t have a television. And I prefer listening to baseball on the radio anyway.

I know what you mean. Last year, Game 1 of the WS, and the sports radio station has . . . Richmond Spiders v. Maine Black Bears football. Then, the game ended, and we’ve got . . . a 45 minute postgame show. :mad:

Well, they did at least cut the collge postgame short, and went to the World Series “in progress”. In the bottom of the 9th. Got to hear the end, anyway.

Yankees go home! WOO-HOO!

I was told that coverage of the World Cup Championship Final Game between Sweden and Germany was cut short to cover some rather mundane sports event.

The only reason I wasn’t watching it was because I coudn’t find the damn games listed with any consistency on ESPN. It was a disgrace. I didn’t get to see the USA play at all.

When I complained to a male friend, he said that the sponsors want to put there money where the viewers are. That’s certainly understandable. But did they know suddenly in the last quarter of the game that the ratings were down? Did they think they would go up when they cut to an unscheduled local game?

What a shame. Can you imagine the uproar if Blacks were not allowed to play in the Men’s World Cup and had to have a Black League World Cup and the final game coverage was terminated?

AAAARRRGGGHH!

Anyway, I did see a really freaky college football game this afternoon between Tennessee and Alabama. It lasted about five hours, including the five overtimes. The total score was over ninety – (53-45?)

And if Red Barber were still broadcasting on the radio, I would listen to baseball games too.

I am guessing that you are in a situation where you have no television, like maybe camping or driving.

Or are you one of those weirdo’s who enjoy watching the TV, yet has to hear the radio play-by-play at the same time. I was invited to a game party at someone’s apartment once where I had to endure this. It was creepy. That plus the dork kept telling us to quit talking while the game was on. How the hell was our talking affecting his ability to WATCH THE GAME?

I am a little puzzled, but hard-core sports fans are weird to me.

RoadRash, weirdos like us will do that for two reasons:

1. The TV announcers suck; or
  2. The local announcers are preferred.

In the case of the World Series, No. 1 is definitely in play b/c the FOX announcers (Joe Buck and Tim McCarver) suck hard. The ESPN radio guys are better (relatively) but there’s a longish delay between the radio audio and the TV video. Or so I’ve heard. :wink:

I’ll go with No. 2 during Redskins season because it’s more fun (and informative) to listen to Frank Herzog, Sonny Jurgensen and Sam Huff than the FOX dumbasses.

And there’s a No. 3 as well; especially in baseball, TV announcing has gotten to be a very lazy gig, since much of the relevant info is on the screen in the corner all the time. Baseball on radio is still wonderful to listen to.

Weirdos like me like to listen to the radio because I drive a lot and listening to a ball game on the radio while driving is a lot safer than watching TV while driving.

And I agree with the OP’s comment. Finding the playoff and World Series ballgames on the radio here in the Cleveland area was a nightmare. Game 6 of the Series was on a local station (850 AM, which has the range of about zilch) but I couldn’t find Game 2 at all and had to resort to finding it on 1000 AM out of Chicago.

Road Rash - I simply don’t own a television. I don’t like television. Mainly because watching television pretty much requires sitting there doing nothing else. With radio, I can occupy myself with other things while I listen.

Cool enough. When I was more into watching sports, especially baseball, I would turn the volume down on my TV, and put on a CD. I figured I could tell what was going on well enough. The only thing I missed was hearing the crowd going nuts at times.

heh The sound of the crowd going nuts is how I know when to pay attention :smiley:

Actually, it is the sound that you have just missed something exciting. Generally happening when you are in the restroom.

Heh. Our local sports stations will preempt the World Series for High School Football. :eek:

There is one thing I should credit my local station with this year, though: the signal was constant and clear.

There were about three years in a row when they for some reason could not maintain their link to the MLB post-season feed. I’m talking about 20-30 minute spans of dead silence. Didn’t matter which game they were broadcasting. The commercial breaks would come through loud and clear, and the then it was back to silence when the game resumed.

Part of the problem is the fact that the sports station is one of those “automated” radio stations. Everything is computerized, programmed to just sit there and rebroadcast an incoming ESPN Radio feed (before ESPN, it was the 1-on-1 Sports network, which I kind of miss). This is an AM station, the “sister station” to an FM country music station. All the live DJs were over on the FM side, and apparently nobody was ever monitoring what was going on with the AM station.

Wait a minute.
You’re upset because you get the privledge to listen to the Oregon State Beavers almost upset (and we would have too, if it wasn’t for some horrid coaching decisions and the fact our QB threw to the Coug’s more than his own team) the #5 BCS team?

Shush your mouth! :wink:

If you were really lucky, you would have got to hear USC whooping up on Washington. Go 'SC! As it was, the WSU/OSU game was kind-of exciting, if you like “turn-over ball” and listening to a team self-destruct. Far better than any bore-ball game I can think of.

What does baseball on the radio sound like? I can only imagine…

“The pitcher throws to the first baseman…again. The runner is safe…again. Oh, look! The center fielder just spit! Theres the third baseman scratching himself. The pitcher winds up and…throws to the first baseman! What a play! The runner is safe, but still! What a play!” or “Its a long fly ball to center field!! Oh, they caught it.” And on and on and on and on…

She told me she loved me like a brother. She was from Arkansas, hence the Joy!

If you were really lucky, you would have got to hear USC whooping up on Washington. Go 'SC! As it was, the WSU/OSU game was kind-of exciting, if you like “turn-over ball” and listening to a team self-destruct. Far better than any bore-ball game I can think of.

What does baseball on the radio sound like? I can only imagine…

“The pitcher throws to the first baseman…again. The runner is safe…again. Oh, look! The center fielder just spit! Theres the third baseman scratching himself. The pitcher winds up and…throws to the first baseman! What a play! The runner is safe, but still! What a play!” or “Its a long fly ball to center field!! Oh, they caught it.” And on and on and on and on…

Actually, although I don’t much enjoy baseball on TV, (loathe is probably an appropriate term) if the announcers are good than I find games on the radio to be entertaining.

Radio is the way to go for baseball. Good radio announcers, like The Seattle Mariners announcer Dave Niehaus, can make even the most pedestrian game sound exciting. His grand slam call is great:

Myyyyy ooooh Myyyy! Get out the rye bread and mustard, Grandma! It’s Grand Salami time!!!"

Which of course is much better than the Yankee’s announcer:

“It is high. It is far. It is gone.”

While this thread is here, I might as well ask. How in the hell did WSU drop to 8th in the BCS poll from 5th.

I fucking hate the BCS

It is nice to see another USC fan here. I’m just trying to imagine the way the BCS standings would look if they hadn’t lost to those fucking hippies from Berkley.

As far as sports radio goes, I thought it was bad in Dallas when the sports radio station (which doesn’t broadcast Cowboys games) would have a 2 hour pregame show. Here in Austin, the sports talk radio station has a 3 hour pregame show before UT games. A 3 hour pregame show? I don’t get it.