Pixars Lightyear

I ain’t gonna lie. It looks really good.

From here: Lightyear | Disney Wiki | Fandom
Lightyear is an upcoming American 3D computer animated film produced by Pixar set to be released on June 17, 2022. The film is a spin-off of the Toy Story.

I like it already . . .to infnity and beyond!

I don’t even have to watch the trailer to know I’m gonna like that movie.

Aw, c’mon, they can’t just leave us hanging at the end like that!

And yeah, this is pretty much on the must-see list regardless.

I’m curious if they will cover some parts of the established canon, like Emperor Zurg, or reference the 2D animated series Buzz Lightyear of Star Command.

Yeah, anyone remember the TV show? With X-R and Star Command as a white space station?

~Max

I’ll wait until it is free on Disney+ but it looks pretty good.

I enjoyed Luca more than most Pixar movies for a while now.

Luca was a Pixar film, no? Probably my favorite since Coco, which I also liked.

~Max

Yes, the last full length one. I didn’t like Coco, Onward or Soul but I did like Toy Story 4, but Luca felt more like Pixar at their best. Incredibles 2 was disappointing, it didn’t recapture the magic. I seem to be the one person that didn’t like Inside Out either. The Good Dino was terrible.

Meanwhile Up, WALL-E, The Incredibles are 3 of my all time favorite movies and most of the earlier Pixar movies except Cars were all very good.

It’s kinda funny that this is at least the third time they’ve made in-universe media for Buzz Lightyear. There was the video game in Toy Story 2, and Buzz Lightyear of Star Command was introduced by a 3D rendered segment of the toys gathering around to watch the show. Now this movie too is represented as an in-universe Buzz Lightyear movie. It will be interesting to see how much of the cartoon is in this movie.

I’m reading that this will be the director’s debut. Angus MacLane did, however, co-direct Finding Dory.

~Max

Pretty much could have wrote the same. Really, really didn’t like Soul or Inside Out. The mixing of reality with abstract other places was sloppy, uninteresting, and didn’t hold together for me. The best thing about Luca was the excellent kid voice acting but the story was pretty light.
I would give Incredibles 2 a second or third viewing. While it wasn’t the movie I wanted and isn’t as good as the original it’s still a really good Pixar movie.

But why is his head so big? Poor Melonhead Buzz.

My feeling on Toy Story 4 was that, up until the ending, it was cute, but unnecessary. But then we have the ending, where the villain wins, the theme of all of the movies is betrayed, and the established canon is thrown out.

Are you a fan Hayao Miyasaki? Luca follows his style beautifully.

Pixar’s putting out two movies just 3-4 months apart? That’s weird.

I had to look up the name. So no, no I’m not.

If you like Luca, there’s a great chance you like My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, Ponyo, and Spirited Away. All follow a similar “child in a magical world” feel.

I tried watching Spirited Away a long time ago and it did nothing for me. Same with Howl’s Moving Castle. A big part of it is I catch stand the animation for some reason. The animation in Kubo drove me from the movie pretty quickly also.