Pixars Lightyear

They’ve slated to do it again in 2024, so I guess it’s going to become more common.

? Huh? I don’t see how any of those things is true. The villain reforms (something that happens in many classic kids’ movies, including How the Grinch Stole Christmas), the theme is arguably somewhat expanded but not contradicted or “betrayed”, and all the established canon AFAICT remains entirely intact. Nothing about TS4 changed or invalidated any of the events of previous movies.

Looks good!

Why does it seem like the characters are animated differently? Buzz looks more realistic, whereas the quick shot of the rocket/NASA worker looks much more cartoon-y,

I’ll also say it looks like, and I’m hoping, it’s going to be a bit more action packed a la The Incredibles.

It looks OK, but I’m a little sad that it looks like it’s not including any Buzz Lightyear of Star Command stuff that I could tell.

I understand the individual words you’re saying, but put together like this they fail to register any meaning to me.

Bigger mystery, I still don’t understand why Game of Thrones never worked for me either, but it didn’t. It happens.

The villain didn’t really do anything to redeem herself; the whole theme of the series is “toys are meant to be played with”, but the movie ends with toys happily running away from their child; and the shorts established that Spork and Woody coexisted peacefully at the little girl’s house for a long time.

They mostly don’t, AFAICT. The Grinch, for example, just had an epiphany when he heard the Whos singing, and boom, redeemed. He did bring back the stolen presents; but then, Gabby Gabby offered to give Woody back his stolen voicebox, but he wouldn’t take it.

Gabby Gabby’s redemption arc closes with her being willing to risk rejection again in order to comfort a child who is frightened and suffering. (Even though the lost child in the fairgrounds doesn’t look like Gabby Gabby’s original crush Harmony, the girl she arbitrarily decided was “perfect” for her because she looked like the photo on Gabby Gabby’s box.)

The point is that Woody chose to “run away from” a child who didn’t really want or need him anymore. Remember how that’s set up at the beginning with Bonnie leaving Woody in the closet more frequently, borrowing his star so Jessie can be sheriff, to the point where he accumulates dust bunnies?

Woody coped with the loss of the child who was the true “love of his life”—Andy, who inevitably aged out of childhood toy ownership—by obsessively dedicating himself to Bonnie, including his mentorship and guardianship of Forky, the toy that Bonnie does emotionally depend on.

But once Forky realizes and embraces his mission of being a child’s beloved plaything rather than trash, and is rescued and taken back to Bonnie, Woody’s work there is done. He’s able to go off and seek a new life with Bo and her gang in the knowledge that, in Buzz’s words, “Bonnie will be okay” without him.

IMO the movie did a pretty good job of expanding and enriching its theme by exploring the “Lost Toy” (or “Discarded Toy”) concept more deeply. As Bo demonstrates, when the child who owns you stops caring about you, due to increasing maturity or accidental separation or whatever, the way forward is not to become permanently traumatized like Jessie in TS2, or enraged and sociopathic like Lotso in TS3: the way forward is to accept the transition and move on. You don’t have to keep clinging to a child who isn’t really there for you anymore, physically or emotionally.

(Remember, also, that Bo and the gang as freelancers are doing the work of helping lost toys and restoring them to their owners, not to mention helping new toys find owners by being won as prizes in a carnival game. It’s not as though Woody is going to be in any way just irresponsibly slacking off from the fundamental toy mission of making children happy.)

Hmmm. Do the ones with Forky precede TS4? If not, ISTM that your beef is that the shorts are throwing out the “established canon” of the film, not the other way around.