Pizza Hut's New Menu

Yeah, this is what really confused us. They make the entire rest of the pizza, cook it, slice it… and then just throw a big handful of raw spinach on top? That’s it?

Is this really anyone’s expectation of what spinach on a pizza pie is supposed to be? The first time we saw this, we assumed it had to be a mistake, like they forgot it was supposed to get spinach until the end, or maybe this was one of the first they made since getting spinach and nobody had told the kid how to do it. But apparently this is what PH intends. I found it odd and a little awkward to eat. The spinach didn’t taste bad, it was just completely not melded with the flavors of the pie. Like somebody’s salad had got accidentally spilled on top, but for some reason we had to eat it that way.

Certainly I’ve had lightly-cooked fresh spinach on pizzas before, and it was typically very good. One of my favorite pizzas ever, a “Greek” pie from an independent place, involved spinach cooked in, with some of the cheese and seasonings on top of it. And the spinach got, you know, sliced with the rest.

Thanks for the rundown, Askthepizzaguy! :slight_smile:

Eagerly awaiting the answer about the incredibly raw spinach. I hope to get a pizza tomorrow.

That’s how I roll too. To me the crust is there only to convey what’s on top. Oh, and I order it ‘well done’.

Heh, it’s too hot for me, and a number of customers said the same thing.

You, my friend, enjoy hot things. And that’s great, more power to you. :wink:

I put red pepper flakes on my pizza, that’s as hot as I go.

I know, it’s… a strange choice by PH corporate.

In my opinion, you could put the spinach on underneath the cheese, and it wouldn’t burn. Or underneath the sauce if you wanted to be really careful it remains un-burnt.

Officially, they don’t do that. However, I imagine you could ask them to do it when it’s not busy and see how it tastes. There’s all sorts of things they don’t “officially” do, such as mix flavors on the wings, which they’re definitely not doing when it’s busy. It contaminates the bowls. There’s good reason for not doing it.

But I think there’s potential for the spinach for folks who want the spinach to be cooked. It’s just that it’s not gonna work if it’s on top of the pizza in the ovens they have.

The big thing is the ovens they use around here are conveyor belt ovens. There’s no easy way to just slide the pizza back in and lightly cook it- making your pizza well done is an absolute NIGHTMARE when the oven is full/busy because there’s no space to even slide it in on the side, and the usual trick which is to leave space when you’re making the pies doesn’t work because you need every square inch during dinner rush.

Disclosure, I obviously cannot confirm or deny working there. Because I’ve said my real negative opinions about stuff. I’m definitely not getting paid to say any of the things I said in any of these posts. Since I eat there, and that’s my only real option, I am offering my real opinion as to whether or not it’s good and what you can/should do with the food.

Same for me. I tried it, and it just made the pizza way too sweet without any real bang of heat added.

Thanks for the recommendations, Askthepizzaguy! Do you think a hand-tossed cheese and onion pretzel crust would be any good?

Meh, not like they charge for the drizzle, and the za was still good without noticing it much. The closest Hut isn’t superclose, so it’s possible it soaked in on the ride home. Whatever, I wasn’t complaining, just explaining, but thanks for the advice.

I got a pan pizza with Parmesan crust, garlic sauce, salami, tomato and spinach.

Parmesan crust is amazing! The sauce is so-so…I don’t quite like Alfredo. I would prefer pesto. Next time I will ask for light sauce. Salami was good but skimpy. They accurately portray the skimpiness when you order online.

The spinach was in fact thrown on raw after cooking. It’s not bad when you’re eating the pizza hot but as soon as you go back for seconds you’ve got “wow that spinach is raw.”

Didn’t opt for a drizzle but maybe next time I’ll try balsamic. And medium not large.

Now you know.

Ordered the honey siracha hand tossed crust and the asiago pan crust for the football games yesterday with honey siracha, sweet chili and garlic parmesan wings. The siracha crust made zero difference to the flavor of the pizza, simply couldn’t taste it. The asiago crust was better but the pan crust makes me gag anyway. The honey siracha wings were delicious but not hot. Sweet chili wings are renamed from the Asian spice ones they had previously and were my faves . The garlic parmesan wings are off the old menu and my wife’s fave.

baffled

At this point I’m convinced I’m either a baby when it comes to hot things or there’s something wrong with the honey sriracha sauce wherever you guys are.

I put just a little bit of that stuff on my tongue and it was too much, and like I said, the returns for it being too hot.

They might be putting it on your pizza too lightly.

But hell, if several people here are like “what? It’s not hot” then maybe I am just a big baby and so are several of the folks in my area.

I tell you this, people order “hot wings” here and they almost always mean mild wings. They like buffalo flavor but not the medium or hot flavor. So maybe it’s a regional thing.

It’s Florida, so… maybe not as much of the Mexican influence over here, where very hot food is the standard.

I don’t see why not, if you like an onion pizza.

The pizza will otherwise be normal, except for the outside, and I really think hand tossed is best for the butter/salted crust. But that’s me, others seem to like pan.

We can make the pizza with base honey sriracha sauce instead of base pizza sauce.

I’d all but guarantee that would be enough honey sriracha to make someone’s tongue cry uncle, but then again, I might just be a big baby. And besides, I hesitate to ever remove actual pizza sauce from a pizza and put something else there, because I like it too much.

You’ve inspired me, ZipperJJ! I didn’t even know about the new stuff, so I went there and wound up ordering two larges, both with different drizzles and flavors of crust.

Just arrived now.

Have you had normal Sriracha, either the Huy Fong stuff with the rooster on the bottle, an off brand (I personally like Sky Valley), or the homemade stuff at Vietnamese restaurants? I sorta wonder if we’re on different wavelengths here.

I’m the guy that goes to pho restaurants and puts a squirt of sriracha on each spoonful. I go to Taco Mac (regional wing chain near Atlanta) and order the death wings. I once tried to make my own sriracha because the normal stuff wasn’t hot enough (I used too much vinegar, I need to try again). I have a bottle of Dave’s Insanity in my fridge. Yes, I do like hot stuff.

But I also have Indian friends that put me to shame. I know guys that put a teaspoon of Dave’s on their wings where I put a drop or two. I see those Mexican leathertongues that munch on Habeneros for a snack. And I think I’m somewhat average on the “how much I like heat” spectrum.

So, my question for askthepizzaguy is: what’s your take on normal sriracha? If you think a tablespoon is cause for a trip to the ER, hey that’s fine, we all have our own sensitivities. If that’s the case, well, for people that like hot things the Honey Sriracha is nothing (although I might take your suggestion and get a takeaway cup of the stuff to try as a dip). For others it’s too much; nothing wrong with that.

If you like normal Sriracha and the Honey Sriracha at Pizza Hut is too much, then I have to wonder if we’re talking about the same sauce.

It sounds like a ripoff of what Hungry Howies has done forever.

The flavored crust starts off tasting good but after eating it a few times it becomes too much.

I don’t think it’s a judgement thing or being a baby, it’s just what you are used to. If you eat spicy food daily, your perception of spiciness will change. But if you don’t enjoy it, why bother?

People should, of course, have their food how they enjoy it. That said, if a person is doing something like squirting hot sauce on every individual bite of food, is any flavor other than the hot sauce detectable? I have an adult stepson who buys, and consumes, all the most potent hot sauces and pepper extracts he can find. He douses his food with it at every meal. His food, his choice, but I’m willing to bet he could be served canned dog food and wouldn’t be able to tell it from Chateaubriand by the time he gets done “seasoning” it.

True or False: They used to also offer lemon-pepper wings on their menu, no?

Also, the traditional bone-in un-breaded wings are the only way to go, IMO.