Please explain DeSantis and Disneyland to me

I now know, thanks to the last several years, far more about US politics than I ever expected, however, I really haven’t been following this particular story. I’ve glanced at headlines and am suddenly seeing lots of political cartoons about this and I really don’t appreciate or understand them.

So, can someone please give me a synopsis of what is actually going on with this?

Disney is becoming too “woke” by offering benefits for same sex partners, casting a non-white actress as Ariel in their live action remake The Little Mermaid, et cetera. DeSantis, who wants to be seen as “tough on wokeness” even if it hurts the economy of the state he governs, decided to attack Disney as a public spectacle to demonstrate what a fine little fascist he is. It really isn’t any deeper or more sensible than that.

Stranger

Very, very brief summary: The background is that when Disney World was set up, a special administrative regime (Wiki link) was put in place whereby, indirectly, Disney as a corporation controls the local government, with taxing power, in wide areas including and surrounding the resort. DeSantis now believes that Disney has become too woke and revoked this regime.

We really can’t discuss politics anymore without using excessively strong language like this, it seems. It’s a pity.

And, Disney vocally opposed Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” law (championed by DeSantis), and suspended making political donations to Republican politicians in the state in response to that law.

It was the suspension of political donations that was particularly angering to DeSantis et al.

I’m not wantonly using the term “fascist” as a random pejorative; I literally mean that DeSantis is pursuing his agenda for autocratic power with a stereotypically fascist methodology of trying to engender fear and anger by scapegoating a relatively powerless minority by accusing them of undermining cultural mores and “grooming” children. I’ll aver from going into greater detail here and just point back to this thread for more extensive discussion.

Stranger

Thanks all for the responses. And now it’s time for the mandatory rhetorical question: WTF is wrong with these people (that is, the GOPers)?

You can ask three different experts and get six different answers, but it seems to me that the group they feel they represent — white (male) (Protestant) Americans — is losing its cultural and political dominance. Which I, as a white (male) (raised Catholic) American, see as inevitable, not to mention about damn time. Rather than give some thought as to why this loss of dominance is occurring, much less try to adapt, they react by demonizing those they feel are responsible.

Of course, that’s just one facet. But IMHO, it’s a significant one.

What language would you suggest that is equally accurate and doesn’t downplay what is actually happening?

I have read this actually saves Disney money. Now Florida needs to repair the roads and all that (services provided by the state) on their own dime.

Is this true? Did DeSantis add a new financial burden to the state in order to score a cheap political point?

The key question, of course, is “how much leverage does this actually give Florida over operations at Disney?” Or alternately, “what harm does it do Disney, such that they may feel more inclined to go along with what Florida wants?”

The answer I’ve seen so far is “not much if at all, but it sure looks good in the press,” though I’m not sure if it’s accurate.

On the other hand, Disney won’t be able to bypass environmental regulations and building codes since their fiefdom has been taken over by the state.

Now DeSantis’ hand-picked governing board has a chance to piss on regulations.

Speaking of which, one of the new board members has previously suggested that tap water is creating homosexuals.

“According to CNN’s KFile, Ron Peri, a former pastor from Orlando, once said that the number of LGBTQ individuals was increasing because of high estrogen levels in tap water.”

“Why are there homosexuals today?” Peri speculated in a 2022 Zoom callwith members of his ministry group The Gathering. “Some would say the increase in estrogen in our societies. You know, there’s estrogen in the water from birth control pills. They can’t get it out.” Peri suggested that estrogen consumed via drinking water was contributing to a decline in testosterone levels among men."

Um, how about "sleazy opportunist whose political games cost Florida taxpayers money"?

DeSantis’s actions weren’t just because Disney was woke in general, but specifically their response to stand by their LGBT workers against specific anti-LGBT legislation—the so called “Don’t Say Gay” bill stuff. Disney didn’t do this out of the goodness of their heart, but only after a huge outcry from said workers.

The real name for the law is the “Parental Rights in Education Act,” which limits what teachers can teach or acknowledge about homosexuality. And, of course, the highly LGBT workforce at Disney World opposed it, as does the bulk of their fanbase.

Someone selfish but sane might look like a saint when put in conflict with extremist and dehumanizing actions that would harm them.

My understanding is that originally DeSantis was going to get rid of the special improvement district altogether, and that would have transferred the debt to the surrounding counties. Instead, the district still exists , was renamed and is now run by a board of DeSantis appointees

That’s what I’ve been wondering. Can they stop Disney from being trans-friendly and/or same-sex-friendly in their advertising? From including trans, bi, gay, same-sex-married characters? From providing restrooms designed to be used by people of any gender? From hiring people they know to be LGBT? From making it publicly clear that they’re willing to do so?

I don’t think these changes affect how the park or the company is run at all - but what is going to be very different is that Disney lost a huge amount of autonomy. Before the changes, Disney hand-picked the board and didn’t have to worry about getting approval from local government because Disney essentially was the local government, with the authority to build a nuclear power plant, airport, and stadium ( which was removed with the changes). Now this board can rezone areas and deny approval for Disney to build a new hotel and so on.

BTW, nitpick on the thread title:
Disneyland is in California.
Disney World is in Florida.

And, lacking a Matterhorn, can hardly be said to be an amusement park (or a worthwhile destination).

There’s lots of language that you can use to describe it, so I’m not going to give a list, but the inflationary use of strong words like “fascist” is offensive to the victims of actual fascism.