Please help me ID this book before my head explodes

For some reason this popped into my head and I can’t get it out! This is a book I read around 25 years ago, when I was a child, although it could have been when I was 6 or 16, so that doesn’t help too much.

What I’m remembering has to do with the fairy-tale “7-league boots”. I know they show up in a lot of fairy tales but this was in a regular book, I believe a full-length book, either for children or young adults, I think.

I remember that the character (I believe a child or young teenager) had been given 7-league boots as a gift, I think there were brothers and sisters with their own gifts. When the boots are used there are great descriptions of how he Steps, and what he sees, descriptions of the startled looks on the faces of those whose houses/lives they quickly step through, etc.

Another scene that might help ID this is that at one point two people need to share the boots, so they each put one foot in a boot and one on the ground and coordinate stepping together so that they can both travel this way.

It’s driving me nuts. For some reason I thought it might be from one of the Narnia books but my husband says no, and he’s read them more that I have.

Please please help! :slight_smile: I’ve Googled and Googled and I’m coming up blank.

Thank you!!!

Karen

I read that book too. One of the gifts is a mirror that shows her what she has lost and where it is, and another is a box that lost things show up in.

At one point she learns to basketweave from a villager in… Peru?

Your book is What the Witch Left, by Ruth Chew.

How do people do that?

Thanks so much, pinkfreud!

You are most welcome. It’s nice to feel useful. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much! That’s it!!!

Wow, I love this board.

Karen

Me, too. There are more smart, helpful, funny people here than in any other place on the Web.