Please recommend a joystick

There are a bunch at

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw/105-0332884-5450817?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=Joystick&x=0&y=0
If it’s not too much trouble…

1. Assume price is no object and recommend, then
  2. Suggest the best of the lower priced sticks.

The most important question is what you want to do with it. I play flight simulators which don’t require lots of constant action but do require lots of features including a throttle and programmable buttons. Sports games may be better suited by a different type of joystick although I have used mine for lots of things and it has worked out reasonably well.

I am partial to Saitek joysticks although all the brands on the page you linked are reputable.

The main questions are:

1. Do you want wireless of corded - I would go with corded because of reliability and I don’t like worrying about batteries.

2. Force feedback - it is a gimmick but some people like it on some types of things like driving games.

3. Number of buttons and controls - if you haven’t studied today’s offerings up close, they fit an amazing amount of buttons, axises, throttles, and view changers into one innocent looking package. This can be too much of a good thing if you just want an old-school joystick. You have to know what you want to do with it an how much you really need. An overly complicated joystick can be irritating.

4. Programmability - most joysticks today let you program how the different buttons and things work if you want. This is related to #3 above. Too complicated can be overwhelming. The good news is that most popular joysticks configure themselves to the popular games so you don’t have to worry about much of it.

My joystick is a Saitek joystick with throttle. I like it but I won’t recommend it directly to you. It was less than $30 and I use it mainly for flight sims. It does a nice job of that but it feels a little loose for action games.

I would just go to Best Buy or Even Wal-Mart and check them out in person. Almost all brands tend to be reputable and pretty cheap these days. It comes down to personal preference and what you want to do with it.

i’ve been partial to the playstation to usb adapters myself… looove those psx controllers.

Just was notified today that you reponded to my query.

Thanks for the info Shagnasty. I think I’d like to try Flight Sims too and if I do I’ll get this stick.

Assuming you want a full 4 axes: low end: Saitek X52 Pro; high end: CH Products Fighterstick + Throttle + Rudder pedals.

Get yourself a cheapo Saitek stick as well.

If you’re looking to get into flight sims, then you’ll want a yoke, throttle, and rudder pedals.

Shag plays flight sims with the cheapo Saitek.

Maybe I should fly a hot air balloon. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hmm.

After thinking about it, maybe a balloon game’s not a bad idea - incorporated into Google Earth! Can’t you see yourself flying over the Rockies with nothing between you and disaster but a wicker basket?

I have limited experience with them, meaning I bought one and I’ve had no need for another.

It’s the Microsoft Sidewinder (plain, not force-feedback).

I’ve have no complaints with it other than I think the twist action on the handle (rudder) could use a stiffer spring. It’s easy in the heat of battle to accidentally twist the handle and go someplace I didn’t intend.

Lou Reed was a big fan of his Red Joystick.